Poll

Armed only with what you know *right now*, do you think SDCC will return to an in-person event in 2021?

Yes
31 (47.7%)
No
34 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 4634 times)

Offline sefton42

• Hall H
  • Liked: 293
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
That’s going to vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  In Miami, the police issued citations to people for not wearing masks.  New York cited businesses that didn’t comply with pandemic requirements.  I know some businesses in my state were shut down for noncompliance.  I didn’t say every state would mandate vaccinations, just that I doubt mine will be the only one.
Plus our governor’s term is up next year and our governors can’t run for re-election, so he may not have much political capital to lose by enforcing a vaccine mandate.

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 695
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »
It does vary.  Unfortunately even in cities like Miami that are highlighted for their enforcement, it's meager in terms of number and fines.  As of about a month ago, Miami had issued 288 citations.  The citations were for $100 or less.  Even with such a low fine, they were ignored.  Only 4 fines had been paid.  Similarly in San Diego, through the end of may, only 400 citations had been issued not just in the city itself but all over San Diego county.

In comparison, at it's height, Italy issued over 16,000 citations in one day.  One area in Germany issued over 1,000 citations a day.  Even in Melbourne they issued over 100 citations in day.  The fines are also much higher than $100.  In Italy up to $3,000, in Germany up to $10,000 and in Melbourne averaging over $1,000.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 05:08:45 AM »

Offline susanml10881

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 130
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
The city is asking Newsom to let them reopen the convention center. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1989
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SAN DIEGO —  A plan to purchase two hotels to house up to 400 homeless people now living in a temporary shelter at the Convention Center was unanimously approved Friday by San Diego housing commissioners, who also approved funding for support services at the sites for the new tenants.

Because about 800 people at the Convention Center still will need shelter after the hotels open, commissioners also approved a plan to reinstate and add more beds to a homeless shelter at Golden Hall at the San Diego Concourse and to reopen, with a reduced number of beds, other shelters that were closed because of the pandemic.

The plan to purchase Marriott Residence Inns in Mission Valley and Kearny Mesa is expected to advance to the San Diego Housing Authority for final approval next month, and the housing will be available when the Convention Center shelter closes by the end of the year.

sdconventionctr U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams visited our Convention Center this week to tour Operation Shelter to Home with Mayor @kevinfaulconer.

Dr. Adams said: “My time in San Diego has been incredibly productive and given me unique insight to bring back to Washington. I especially appreciated the opportunity to learn about these local efforts to protect both the most vulnerable among us, the minority populations who have been more susceptible to the virus, and the cross-sector partnerships supporting the health of San Diego’s citizens.”

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login