Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26746 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An Englishman in San Diego,   @EnglishmanSDCC  ,interviewed Mike Armstrong VP of ReedPop.  He talked about how the virus has impacted their schedules.  They've had to push back a number of their Cons, as a lot of people on this forum know.  One of their Cons, Florida SuperCon, is scheduled for the weekend of July 4th.  He was asked about CCI delaying their decision, and of course he was certain CCI will make a responsible decision.  One of the comments he made, and I paraphrase... "A good San Diego begets a good Comic Con Industry".  His whole interview begins around 37 minutes into the show.  I recommend it.

Leonard!  He's so cool.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I agree with what you are saying.

Are they going to trace back everyone you came into contact with before failing a test and quarantine them?

Yes, that's the way that epidemics are fought.  Through contact tracing and targeted quarantines.  That's what Singapore does.  That's what Europe is trying to do.  If someone tests positive, then an email would go out to everyone that was within 2 meters of that person for the last two weeks telling them to self isolate.

More ways for the goverment to spy on everyone. Yippee

That already happens to an extent that most people don't realize.  Privacy is an illusion in the United States.  Ask for a copy of the file that the data aggregators have on you.  It's surprisingly complete.  You may learn some things about yourself that you didn't know.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:46:07 PM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
Here is how MLB is considering operating in a world where there can be no large gatherings.  They are thinking about having all the games in the Phoenix area.  There are a lot of stadiums there for spring training.  Having all the games in the same metropolitan area would minimize travel and thus exposure.  The teams would play in empty stadiums for TV broadcast.

Doesnt Tampa Bay already play in an empty stadium?

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
Doesnt Tampa Bay already play in an empty stadium?
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline realninjaturtle

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
IMO, I see SDCC this year being a bust whether this pandemics eases up or not. Guests and Exhibitors are not going to risk it and I would like to see a list of cancellations from them posted on the SDCC site. Face facts, nothing will get back to normal until a vaccine or cure is released and available to everyone. Is it worth going to a show with empty booths and panels? Let alone being in an indoor crowded space with thousands of people. Based on some of the attitudes posted in this thread and 24 pollsters that would go no matter what, I have to assume even if they knowingly could spread it, they would go.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:17:09 AM by realninjaturtle »

Offline realninjaturtle

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
Seems many vendors will be selling their exclusives online now. I am getting WonderCon exclusive sales now. I don't think anyone will have to risk the virus just to get the exclusives they want.
Vendors will need to make up for lost sales and guests will be posting on social media. They may even do some panels online. So don't fret. It will all come together. Stay safe.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:11:44 PM by realninjaturtle »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
Tom Hanks can be a guest!   All panels with Tom Hanks!   
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
And Idris Elba!

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
I don't know. Obviously, a convention is not worth catching a potentially deadly disease, but I know FOMO may tempt me into taking the risk. I don't have any preexisting conditions and I'm not elderly... Who knows.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684

“New study investigates California's possible herd immunity to COVID-19” — KSBW8

What if the virus was spreading last fall?
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497

“New study investigates California's possible herd immunity to COVID-19” — KSBW8

What if the virus was spreading last fall?

It was spreading last fall.  That's why their was an intelligence briefing warning of this epidemic last fall.  It was ignored.

I don't see how it could have spread silently in California.  The one thing that's true in every country it touches is that there are deaths.  There should have been a lot of unexplained deaths or deaths attributed to the flu.  In order for herd immunity to work, at least half the population has to have had it and are now immune.  If 20 million people had covid in California, I would expect there to have been a noticeable number of deaths.

Countries have tried going the herd immunity route.  Both the UK and Sweden did.  They both had to abruptly end those policies when too many people started dying.  Iceland did a study to see how many people had been exposed to covid, their results were less than 1% of the population.  Much to low to have herd immunity.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
What many people fail to realize is that for some people, large crowds are a way of life. Whenever Cuomo and De Blasio lift the lockdown, I have this to look forward to everyday.

And I get to be stuck in this for an hour every morning and an hour every evening

I figure my chances of getting sick at a large event and getting sick on the subway are pretty even. Interestingly, my instances of con crud seem to be inversely correlated to the amount of time I had been taking public transportation in the months prior.  The years I caught con crud were the years I was either able to walk to work or was living in a city without public transport.  I probably already caught whatever I was going to catch on the way to work.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Exactly.  I'm an attorney who goes to court often in some of the state's busiest jurisdictions.  I also have to meet clients sometimes.  I'm not sure my risk at a con is that much greater than my risk in everyday life.  Plus the friends I generally spend time with at the con at least I know take it seriously and will be careful; I don't necessarily know that about the people I'll be around for work when life resumes.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
It was spreading last fall.  That's why their was an intelligence briefing warning of this epidemic last fall.  It was ignored.

I don't see how it could have spread silently in California.  The one thing that's true in every country it touches is that there are deaths.  There should have been a lot of unexplained deaths or deaths attributed to the flu.  In order for herd immunity to work, at least half the population has to have had it and are now immune.  If 20 million people had covid in California, I would expect there to have been a noticeable number of deaths.

Countries have tried going the herd immunity route.  Both the UK and Sweden did.  They both had to abruptly end those policies when too many people started dying.  Iceland did a study to see how many people had been exposed to covid, their results were less than 1% of the population.  Much to low to have herd immunity.

This is incorrect on the Sweden front.  Their own health minister spoke on it and said that is NOT what they are doing. 

"Foreign Minister Ann Linde told Swedish TV on Wednesday that Trump was "factually wrong" to suggest that Sweden was following the "herd immunity" theory -- of letting enough people catch the virus while protecting the vulnerable, meaning a country's population builds up immunity against the disease. " 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:43:05 PM by nootheroptions »

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Even if there were panels and screenings, would there be much to show? The entertainment industry has essentially shut down too? No one is filming, movie releases have been pushed back or dropped to streaming. Comic book stores are closed. Online panels wouldn’t be the same.

It doesn’t seem safe until a vaccine is available and accessible to all.