Author Topic: Snowpiercer - some thoughts on the series  (Read 3472 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
Snowpiercer - some thoughts on the series
« on: May 28, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
I wanted to give this new series a few episodes before chiming in for forming my own opinion.  "Snowpiercer" is based off of the 2013 masterpiece South Korean film co-written and directed by Oscar winner Bong Joon Ho (wow: it feels awesome to be able to refer to him as Oscar-winning Director!) that starred Chris Evans as a lowest-class resident struggling for survival one a constantly-in-motion super-train that continuously circles the globe after earth's climate is decimated to the point of zero survivability due to deep-freeze.  Also starring in the sci-fi film that's a metaphor for class warfare is Tilda Swinton as a high-level employee of the train, tasked with maintaining some semblance of order: via a private army.  John Hurt, Octavia Spenser, & Kang-ho Song round out a superb supporting cast of lowest-class stowaway colleagues of Evans, bent on revolution; Ed Harris makes a great 3rd Act appearance as the owner/operator of the train, Mr. Wilford.
To say that this is a great film is a gross understatement: it has an inventive visual style that makes audiences FEEL the cramped confinement of living at the back of a train in dingy squalor, and has some incredibly awesome fight scenes (the mostly-dark ax-fight is TOP NOTCH on every level!).

But to further talk about the greatness of the original film, based off of a French graphic novel called Le Transperceneige, would be to likely call attention to the seeming shortcomings of "Snowpiercer" the series: or at least the shortcomings of the initial couple of episodes.

The series kicks off with a bang: high tension right from the get-go.  We get a glimpse of backstory, where humans tried to stave off global warming climate change by cooling the environment chemically, or with some bomb or other such mumbo-jumbo: things of course go wrong, the atmosphere and climate are seemingly permanently damaged, and the earth goes into a deep freeze relatively quickly (I presume: I don't think there's a time-table stated in the first couple episodes).  We see our main character, Daveed Diggs as Andre, try to jump onto the end tail of Snowpiercer, the luxury train meant to keep the rich ticket-buyers safe indefinitely while the rest of humanity is lost.  We immediately see Snowpiercer security measures act to remove the stowaways from the train by throwing them off: an act that means quick certain death.  The editing of these early scenes filled me with dread, and the premise of "isolate yourselves from the outside world or risk death" while living in the age of a pandemic wasn't lost on me at the time.  Quickly the series jumps a bit in the future, with the folks in the bake, known as "tailies," plotting a revolution.  We see Andre as the level-headed planning type, giving us the impression that he's always thinking about the next steps ahead.

The show has relatively solid casting in the lead rolls.  In addition to "Hamilton" original cast member and "Blackish" guest star Diggs, we have the other side of the power/class coin with Jennifer Connelly's Melanie.  Melanie is the employee, the polished high-up socialite who's the Head of Hospitality: charged with keeping everything in order and tending to all the passengers, but especially the incredibly rich most of all.  I mean, Connelly is certainly no substitute for Tilda Swinton (note: literally no one on our plain of existence is), and Diggs is a different character than Chris Evans': they're an incredibly rough, broad analogue to each other from a basic premise standpoint, but no more.

But while casting is solid, so far the premise is kind of head scratching.  We almost immediately change things up radically and move to a police procedural.  See, part of why the revolution that Andre helped plot ends abruptly is because he's enlisted to solve a murder.  So...the awesome metaphor about class warfare quickly turns into a murder mystery?  To be honest, I was barely engaged in the mystery by the end of the 1st ep, and by the end of the 2nd I was mostly over it.  It's not something I care much about, mostly because there are a hundred murder master series out there I can stream now that are infinitely better at being murder mysteries.  I'm personally hoping that this mystery gets wrapped up sooner than later: preferably by or before the halfway mark of the season.  I'm really hoping that the writers & show-runner are using that premise as a springboard to introduce the logistics of the train, class stuff, characters, struggles & sins, etc. and once we're sufficiently in-the-loop (see what I did there!) with the ins & outs of things, we can move on to bigger and better situations.

After the tension of the pilot episode, the pace seemed significantly slower 2nd ep.  This was a huge detriment for me, as it made the weaknesses of the series even more glaring.  We get some requisite background of Andre: nothing that really breaks new ground.  We start to see the scale of the train, and that shines light on more problems:
* the scale of it all feels 'off.'  The original film was shot fairly dimly lit, in smaller and confined sets that felt like legit train cars spatially.  Take something like DAS BOOT, or U-571: films that take place on a submarine during war.  You feel the claustrophobia of the confined quarters, you feel the 'heat' rise during moments of stress, etc. "Snowpiercer" the series mostly lacks this for the most part.  Even scenes in the Tail of the train are made to kind of look tight, with bunks stacked above and real close to one another, but it never feels exceptionally tight.  The series goes for the easy contrast of "the lower your class, the darker and more closed-in the space; the higher your class, the brighter and wide-open the space" which is fine but feels a bit too on-the-nose.  And also gives the show a feeling of TV cheapness.
* pacing is also a concern.  We start off great, and then move into the murder mystery.  I dig the peaks (so far) of the class differences, and talks of revolution and keeping control, etc: all things that resonate with modern culture.  This shows seems to not really be a murder mystery type of show, but is following those tropes from the beginning.  It better be leading to something cooler, opening up the world more, etc. or it's going to run out of steam quick.  Also, the 'procedural' isn't even handled very well: not much more than merely "perfunctory."  The writers are jumping into this world by serving us a mystery about a serial killeroperating on board the train who has been cutting off men's genitals & keeping them as trophies.  Yes, you read that right.  It's almost like the show runners weren't sure how to fill 10 hours (20, if you include the fact that this series had a Season 2 green lit before Comic-Con 2019) so they figured "why not a mystery?!"  There's even the 'police procedural TV trope of the hard-ass sergeant' being filled by a head of security type on the train who's constantly giving Andre guff!
* plausibility questions abound, beyond the obvious ones.  Like, I can shrug off "how the heck did a corporation build track that circles the globe while in the middle of a deep freeze the killed off billions of humans: especially all of the oceans?!"  But we have questions like, "how do employees make the 5-mile trek from tail to front engine in short time with ease? How are characters like Andre in such good shape while living years in squalor w/out sunlight, exercise, or nutrition?!  There are others but I've chosen to ignore for now, hoping the show improves enough from to not dwell on logic on a show who's mere premise dictates I ignore logic.
* the movie used the train as a horrific metaphor while the series tries hard to make you think "this is real."  And it doesn't really come close to accomplishing this reality for me thanks to the above issues I have
* Connelly's character Maleanie isn't exactly a different take on Swinton's Mason so much as an unimaginative one (so far).  The first two episodes have somehow expertly crafted a character that's both a fleshed-out version of Mason while also being a far-less nuanced version (and less interesting).  I at lest look forward to seeing where her character goes forward, and I have faith in Connelly as an actress to make a compelling character.

Now there is some promise.  Like I said, I will follow Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson...er, Daveed Diggs...to great distances since he's a commanding actor; Jennifer Connelly has potential too.  As I said, if writers are using the mystery as a narrative device to introduce us to the characters and cars that permeate Snowpiercer, then the mystery is forgivable.  I'm fearing, now at least, that we'll instead learn that translating SNOWPIERCER to the small screen was every bit as bad as its problematic 5-year development implies: one that lost its original show-runner, pilot director, and even network.  I really want to like this series , but I guess at this point I'd give this an incredibly lukewarm reception with hope of improvement.

Has anyone else seen this? What do you all think: am I thinking too hard here, about right, or should I just shut up and watch SNOWPIERCER for the umpteenth time?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:18:17 PM by Devorah »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Snowpiercer - some thoughts on the series
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:33:02 AM »
Originally I thought the concept of a television show about Snowpiercer would be a bad idea. I still do but this is better than I thought it would be. Where does the series go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:17:36 AM »

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:25:09 AM »
I'm enjoying it so far , but we will see how it goes
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:48:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Originally I thought the concept of a television show about Snowpiercer would be a bad idea. I still do but this is better than I thought it would be. Where does the series go?

I felt the same way, probably more so as I wasn't a fan of the movie.  But recently, yesterday morning, a Japanese streamer I like to follow to practice my Japanese comprehension, revealed that she was very enthusiastic about the new series.  So, I'm going to re-watch episodes one and two and give the series a second chance.

There is so much that I missed due to my lack on interest that I cannot answer your question of where the series is going.  Perhaps after watching the episodes again I will be better able to express my thoughts.

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
I wanted to give this new series a few episodes before chiming in for forming my own opinion.  "Snowpiercer" is based off of the 2013 masterpiece South Korean film co-written and directed by Oscar winner Bong Joon Ho (wow: it feels awesome to be able to refer to him as Oscar-winning Director!) that starred Chris Evans as a lowest-class resident struggling for survival one a constantly-in-motion super-train that continuously circles the globe after earth's climate is decimated to the point of zero survivability due to deep-freeze.  Also starring in the sci-fi film that's a metaphor for class warfare is Tilda Swinton as a high-level employee of the train, tasked with maintaining some semblance of order: via a private army.  John Hurt, Octavia Spenser, & Kang-ho Song round out a superb supporting cast of lowest-class stowaway colleagues of Evans, bent on revolution; Ed Harris makes a great 3rd Act appearance as the owner/operator of the train, Mr. Wilford.
To say that this is a great film is a gross understatement: it has an inventive visual style that makes audiences FEEL the cramped confinement of living at the back of a train in dingy squalor, and has some incredibly awesome fight scenes (the mostly-dark ax-fight is TOP NOTCH on every level!).

But to further talk about the greatness of the original film, based off of a French graphic novel called Le Transperceneige, would be to likely call attention to the seeming shortcomings of "Snowpiercer" the series: or at least the shortcomings of the initial couple of episodes.

The series kicks off with a bang: high tension right from the get-go.  We get a glimpse of backstory, where humans tried to stave off global warming climate change by cooling the environment chemically, or with some bomb or other such mumbo-jumbo: things of course go wrong, the atmosphere and climate are seemingly permanently damaged, and the earth goes into a deep freeze relatively quickly (I presume: I don't think there's a time-table stated in the first couple episodes).  We see our main character, Daveed Diggs as Andre, try to jump onto the end tail of Snowpiercer, the luxury train meant to keep the rich ticket-buyers safe indefinitely while the rest of humanity is lost.  We immediately see Snowpiercer security measures act to remove the stowaways from the train by throwing them off: an act that means quick certain death.  The editing of these early scenes filled me with dread, and the premise of "isolate yourselves from the outside world or risk death" while living in the age of a pandemic wasn't lost on me at the time.  Quickly the series jumps a bit in the future, with the folks in the bake, known as "tailies," plotting a revolution.  We see Andre as the level-headed planning type, giving us the impression that he's always thinking about the next steps ahead.

The show has relatively solid casting in the lead rolls.  In addition to "Hamilton" original cast member and "Blackish" guest star Diggs, we have the other side of the power/class coin with Jennifer Connelly's Melanie.  Melanie is the employee, the polished high-up socialite who's the Head of Hospitality: charged with keeping everything in order and tending to all the passengers, but especially the incredibly rich most of all.  I mean, Connelly is certainly no substitute for Tilda Swinton (note: literally no one on our plain of existence is), and Diggs is a different character than Chris Evans': they're an incredibly rough, broad analogue to each other from a basic premise standpoint, but no more.

But while casting is solid, so far the premise is kind of head scratching.  We almost immediately change things up radically and move to a police procedural.  See, part of why the revolution that Andre helped plot ends abruptly is because he's enlisted to solve a murder.  So...the awesome metaphor about class warfare quickly turns into a murder mystery?  To be honest, I was barely engaged in the mystery by the end of the 1st ep, and by the end of the 2nd I was mostly over it.  It's not something I care much about, mostly because there are a hundred murder master series out there I can stream now that are infinitely better at being murder mysteries.  I'm personally hoping that this mystery gets wrapped up sooner than later: preferably by or before the halfway mark of the season.  I'm really hoping that the writers & show-runner are using that premise as a springboard to introduce the logistics of the train, class stuff, characters, struggles & sins, etc. and once we're sufficiently in-the-loop (see what I did there!) with the ins & outs of things, we can move on to bigger and better situations.

After the tension of the pilot episode, the pace seemed significantly slower 2nd ep.  This was a huge detriment for me, as it made the weaknesses of the series even more glaring.  We get some requisite background of Andre: nothing that really breaks new ground.  We start to see the scale of the train, and that shines light on more problems:
* the scale of it all feels 'off.'  The original film was shot fairly dimly lit, in smaller and confined sets that felt like legit train cars spatially.  Take something like DAS BOOT, or U-571: films that take place on a submarine during war.  You feel the claustrophobia of the confined quarters, you feel the 'heat' rise during moments of stress, etc. "Snowpiercer" the series mostly lacks this for the most part.  Even scenes in the Tail of the train are made to kind of look tight, with bunks stacked above and real close to one another, but it never feels exceptionally tight.  The series goes for the easy contrast of "the lower your class, the darker and more closed-in the space; the higher your class, the brighter and wide-open the space" which is fine but feels a bit too on-the-nose.  And also gives the show a feeling of TV cheapness.
* pacing is also a concern.  We start off great, and then move into the murder mystery.  I dig the peaks (so far) of the class differences, and talks of revolution and keeping control, etc: all things that resonate with modern culture.  This shows seems to not really be a murder mystery type of show, but is following those tropes from the beginning.  It better be leading to something cooler, opening up the world more, etc. or it's going to run out of steam quick.  Also, the 'procedural' isn't even handled very well: not much more than merely "perfunctory."  The writers are jumping into this world by serving us a mystery about a serial killeroperating on board the train who has been cutting off men's genitals & keeping them as trophies.  Yes, you read that right.  It's almost like the show runners weren't sure how to fill 10 hours (20, if you include the fact that this series had a Season 2 green lit before Comic-Con 2019) so they figured "why not a mystery?!"  There's even the 'police procedural TV trope of the hard-ass sergeant' being filled by a head of security type on the train who's constantly giving Andre guff!
* plausibility questions abound, beyond the obvious ones.  Like, I can shrug off "how the heck did a corporation build track that circles the globe while in the middle of a deep freeze the killed off billions of humans: especially all of the oceans?!"  But we have questions like, "how do employees make the 5-mile trek from tail to front engine in short time with ease? How are characters like Andre in such good shape while living years in squalor w/out sunlight, exercise, or nutrition?!  There are others but I've chosen to ignore for now, hoping the show improves enough from to not dwell on logic on a show who's mere premise dictates I ignore logic.
* the movie used the train as a horrific metaphor while the series tries hard to make you think "this is real."  And it doesn't really come close to accomplishing this reality for me thanks to the above issues I have
* Connelly's character Maleanie isn't exactly a different take on Swinton's Mason so much as an unimaginative one (so far).  The first two episodes have somehow expertly crafted a character that's both a fleshed-out version of Mason while also being a far-less nuanced version (and less interesting).  I at lest look forward to seeing where her character goes forward, and I have faith in Connelly as an actress to make a compelling character.

Now there is some promise.  Like I said, I will follow Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson...er, Daveed Diggs...to great distances since he's a commanding actor; Jennifer Connelly has potential too.  As I said, if writers are using the mystery as a narrative device to introduce us to the characters and cars that permeate Snowpiercer, then the mystery is forgivable.  I'm fearing, now at least, that we'll instead learn that translating SNOWPIERCER to the small screen was every bit as bad as its problematic 5-year development implies: one that lost its original show-runner, pilot director, and even network.  I really want to like this series , but I guess at this point I'd give this an incredibly lukewarm reception with hope of improvement.

Has anyone else seen this? What do you all think: am I thinking too hard here, about right, or should I just shut up and watch SNOWPIERCER for the umpteenth time?

We have a new blog article coming out soon where I express some of your same concerns. I say that I hope it doesn’t become “CSI:Snowpiercer.” I’m going to give it a chance, because I too love the actors and the film. Like Miclpea says, “Where does the series go?” We’ll see.
Twitter: @JasonDelgado78

FoCC Blog movie review guy

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »

Yeah I'm on the fence about good vs bad idea at this point.  I started reading the first volume of the French comic it's based on, and there are elements in it that the show adapts a little bit, so maybe the show will also take direction from the comics.  There is a lot of material (the 'sequel,' vol 2, features a secondary 'super train' I think I read).
So far the first vol comic is mostly about a guy and a woman being escorted from the tail to the President (not of the train, the societal president).  The guy is a pseudo-revolutionary and the woman who belongs to a higher class than the tail is a social advocate type who was investigating what happened to the guy.  The comic starts with the guy already being 'arrested,' having escaped the tail.  I haven't finished it yet, but we haven't seen much from the tail (though we see the incident from the pilot episode, with the old man celebrating a birthday, asking for an hour of alone/peace & quiet, and he hangs himself). 

The bulk of the story is the man and woman, shaved completely due to 'sanitary reasons' (which takes a bit of humanity away from the two) moving up the train, w/the man in handcuffs most of the time and several armed guards.  They meet the president who tells them the engine is running out of power/wearing down and so they're going to dump the tail car and repatriate the "tailers" and they want the two to help them calm the crowds down.  It turns out the tail will be dumped with both all the tailers AND the social advocate group/friends of the woman in the tail dumping weight & "unworthy."
I'm not sure how it ends, but about 30 pages from the back cover this feels somehow even more stark than the film (without literally any of the cool action set pieces, or so far revolution, of the movie or series).  There are a few other broader elements from this volume 1 comic that have already found their way in the series, like a 'nightclub'/bordello-type car in the upper-lower class section.  I don't know I recommend the comic more than a fascinating curiosity for movie and/or TV series fans: it is the original source material, and clearly screenwriters Bong Joon-ho and Kelly Masterson did an extraordinary job adapting this into the film!  The book doesn't see to have ANY characters as interesting as either the film or the series (and the cover of the english-language version has the two bald protagonists, in a pose that reminds me of THX:1138, George Lucas' feature-length directorial debut from his USC student film that's a dystopian sci-fi).

I have a friend who's a TV critic who has seen the whole season, and he's not a big fan (though admits nothing would likely be able to match the intense greatness of the film), though he did confirm that the murder mystery DOES wrap up around the half-way point at least. Maybe this series is just taking a loooooong time setting up characters, situations, etc. (note: I'm not fan of a series treading water, certainly not in its first season)

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 07:18:36 AM »

I have a friend who's a TV critic who has seen the whole season, and he's not a big fan (though admits nothing would likely be able to match the intense greatness of the film), though he did confirm that the murder mystery DOES wrap up around the half-way point at least. Maybe this series is just taking a loooooong time setting up characters, situations, etc. (note: I'm not fan of a series treading water, certainly not in its first season)

I suspect that this series is taking a while to set up it's characters.  I'm giving this series a chance and I am settling in to enjoy the storyline.  Even though it is a little spoilerish, knowing that the murder mystery will end mid season is good news for me.  Also, when I tried to find out if there was a voice actor associated with the "Wilford" character, yes I know that Mel is in charge and appears to the "Wilford" alter ego, there is a big secret as to who he is in the series.  In my search for an answer, I learned that there seems to be or already is a season 2 in the can.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1287
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
After seeing the film a couple of times, I, too was excited for a series. Ugh. I do not like the lead character at all, so it is tough finding empathy or connection for him and his actions. However, after reading some of the posts here, I will at least finish the second episode! 🤣😂
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
After seeing the film a couple of times, I, too was excited for a series. Ugh. I do not like the lead character at all, so it is tough finding empathy or connection for him and his actions. However, after reading some of the posts here, I will at least finish the second episode! 🤣😂

I've watched all 3 shows so far, but I'm still not sold on it.

No judgement here, but I'm curious about what you don't like about the lead character.  I'm not drawn to him either.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
I've watched all 3 shows so far, but I'm still not sold on it.

No judgement here, but I'm curious about what you don't like about the lead character.  I'm not drawn to him either.

I am rewatching the first episode and here is what I feel.  He has a very flat affect. I do not believe he is truly feeling most of the lines he is delivering. I get that he is a kind of leader of the tail group. I wouldn't follow him across the aisle, let alone to possible destruction.  I see no cleverness, no fire. Acting tough.  Weak as soggy toast. Blah. For me, that closes it.

His accent, too.  What is that?

...And...this is no fault of his...I have dreads, and his fake dreads are waaaaay fake. Haha fake.   ;D

Soooo....I like him even less on this rewatch. Send him back to the tail!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:41:00 PM by marcia29 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »
I am rewatching the first episode and here is what I feel.  He has a very flat affect. I do not believe he is truly feeling most of the lines he is delivering. I get that he is a kind of leader of the tail group. I wouldn't follow him across the aisle, let alone to possible destruction.  I see no cleverness, no fire. Acting tough.  Weak as soggy toast. Blah. For me, that closes it.

His accent, too.  What is that?

...And...this is no fault of his...I have dreads, and his fake dreads are waaaaay fake. Haha fake.   ;D

Soooo....I like him even less on this rewatch. Send him back to the tail!
Yeah, the character is incredibly low-key: which feels fairly against-type for Daveed Diggs.  I'm incredibly biased, as I'm smitten with "Hamilton" and IMO Daveed's characters 'steal' the show IMO (especially as Jefferson).  I really like him as an actor and want to like his character soooo bad but you're right: low-key is kinda translating to flat so far (I haven't seen episode 3 yet but on watching it today hopefully).  To be fair Chris Evans' character in SNOWPIERCER (which, again, is an incredibly broad analogue to Diggs' character) was also low-key, which fits Evans archetype a bit better, I think. I know Diggs' role does seem to call for a level-headed, problem-solving type who's quick with the brain.  We haven't seen him as a revolutionary-type yet, so if the series takes him to that point as a character it could delve into a multifaceted performance.

For the dreads, it's confounding that they seemed to go with "Predator looks cool: lets give him those!" when he has such cool hair as-is!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:20:51 AM by perc2100 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »
I suspect that this series is taking a while to set up it's characters.  I'm giving this series a chance and I am settling in to enjoy the storyline.  Even though it is a little spoilerish, knowing that the murder mystery will end mid season is good news for me.  Also, when I tried to find out if there was a voice actor associated with the "Wilford" character, yes I know that Mel is in charge and appears to the "Wilford" alter ego, there is a big secret as to who he is in the series.  In my search for an answer, I learned that there seems to be or already is a season 2 in the can.
After reading at least the first volume of the comic (I think there are a few volumes, plus a prequel series), I wonder how much of the comics they'll adapt as well.  The comic is incredibly different from the film, so that's helped radically change my approach to the series moving forward.

One disconcerting thing for me, is the development hell this series went through: a 5-year development, with a fired show-runner, a pilot that was completely shot and scrapped, and a pilot director (Scott Derrickson director of DOCTOR STRANGE) who walked away with the show-runner.  Scott told me the script for the pilot was one of the best scripts he's ever read, including scripts he's read for past & future Marvel Studios films AND he considered his direction of the pilot literally his best work.  Meaning, he was passionate about the project and walked away because he felt the new direction was a significant step-down.
I'm striving to not let that color my perception of the series: I can't stress how much I want to like this series, and how much I went them to 'get it right.'  I'm still hoping, knowing that the majority of series take quite awhile to find their legs (coincidentally, I have very similar thoughts on "Space Force" on Netflix but that's a thought for another post  :P )

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 07:27:39 AM »
I watched the season finale of Snowpiercer last night.  I don't want to put out spoilers.  I found it to be very exciting and a great lead in for season 2. 

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 09:32:47 AM »
I watched the season finale of Snowpiercer last night.  I don't want to put out spoilers.  I found it to be very exciting and a great lead in for season 2.

Ok....I will give this series another try. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »

I had no interest in this series but talk here led me to watch it.  I was hooked.  I like it.  IMO, Layton makes the show.  Which has kind of ruined Hamilton for me.  Since now all I can think of when I see him is, there's Layton.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.