Author Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'  (Read 432 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 827
JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »
I'm kinda surprised there's no thread here; I know it's been mentioned a little in some other threads, but feels like it should have its own dedicated discussion.
What's the consensus around here about this one?  It's a little fascinating to me that there don't seem to be rabid fans on focc than other corners of the web/social media (good job, folks!!).
Are you all interested?  Obviously Snyder has said he's not planning on using ANY of Joss Whedon's footage (which is oddly limiting, but I guess if Snyder is exorcising his own demons it makes sense from that perspective), which means he has a LOT of work to do between now and whenever HBO releases it (whether as a film or as a limited series).
I never discount whenever a filmmaker wants to make an extended cut of their films: be it as a lengthened film (James Cameron's THE ABYSS, criminally not on Blu-ray or HD streaming, is an example of a director's cut that changes the meaning of the film film from a metaphor to literal), or as a limited series (like Tarantino's HATEFUL EIGHT on Netflix, which adds some Road Show footage I got to see in 70mm film as well as other footage previously unreleased).  I have my own personal critiques of Zach Snyder as a filmmaker, and mixed feelings about his work within the DC Universe.  IMO JUSTICE LEAGUE was a pretty big mess, and if there is some version out there that is an improvement, I'm all for giving it a look.  There are plenty of rumors out there as to what _really_ happened behind the scenes (I have friends who were on set, covering the film as journalists, that have said the film had a lighter tone from the beginning, so who knows what this newer version will 'feel' like).

JUSTICE LEAGUE is such a different situation, where a director left (or was fired with Snyder's life experiences a "convenient" reason for the director to make a "graceful" exit of the project) and a replacement director had heavy reshoots that might've changed tone completely (and it seemingly changed major character and story arcs).  JUSTICE LEAGUE had a massive cloud of it when it opened, and at this point IDK if Snyder can _really_ recreate his headspace, intent, etc. from spring of 2016 while shooting-spring 2017 when Zach exited the production.  Regardless of the reasoning for his exit (and FWIW I personally don't pay much attention to the gossip and whatnot), there _has_ to be a lot of baggage in Zach's mind about the film at this point, which his vision being discarded pretty heavily. 

IMO the Snyder 'trilogy' of DC films (MAN OF STEEL; BATMAN v SUPERMAN; JUSTICE LEAGUE) feel like a devolution of quality, especially from a story standpoint.  Snyder has his strengths as a filmmaker, but I'm not convinced storytelling is one of them.  I think his cut of BATMAN v SUPERMAN is a slight improvement, though when revisiting the film awhile back I don't think I could sit through the whole thing.  It sounds like JUSTICE LEAGUE will be a radically different cut, so I'm interested in at least seeing why Snyder had intended originally, though w/out him able to do reshoots and relying solely on footage already shot (again, apparently only under Snyder's direction) who knows how "compromised" that vision might be, even if slightly (huge films _always_ have reshoots planned so who knows what Snyder would've had planned to reshoot to complete his vision 3 years ago).

What do you all think?  I don't fall into either extreme side of the JL Snyder rage: I'm not fanatically calling for it to happen or rolling my eyes in disgust.  At the very least, I'm hoping for even slight improvement over the mess that inarguably derailed the then-plans for the DCEU: clearly WB went in a radically different direction tonally (kinda led by the first WONDER WOMAN film and its critical acclaim) and found success w/SHAZAM and AQUAMAN so it's plausible WB's instincts w/Snyder's vision weren't wrong.  Also with huge film franchises there is potential for plenty of studio interference.  We've all been lucky with the MCU, which has taken a Hollywood Golden Age approach of "Producer rules," with one main producer overseeing everything, as far as broad overall story & characters are concerned.  If nothing else, I kinda really hope JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE SNYDER CUT is successful enough to stoke the fires for an Ezra Miller-starring FLASH film.  After seeing him at Comic-Con promoting JUSTICE LEAGUE BITD, I _really_ need to see him star in his own Flash film!

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 695
Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I never discount whenever a filmmaker wants to make an extended cut of their films: be it as a lengthened film (James Cameron's THE ABYSS, criminally not on Blu-ray or HD streaming, is an example of a director's cut that changes the meaning of the film film from a metaphor to literal)

That's considered his flop.  Before it came out, I saw him talk about it at an ACM meeting.  He showed scenes from what they had of it so far.

IMO the Snyder 'trilogy' of DC films (MAN OF STEEL; BATMAN v SUPERMAN; JUSTICE LEAGUE) feel like a devolution of quality, especially from a story standpoint.

Man of Steel is one of those movies I can watch over and over again.  IMO, it's THE Superman movie.  I find it hard to believe that the same director that made that made Suicide Squad.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:46:56 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 449
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »
I hope it's as good as the Snyder Cut of Candy Crush Saga: The Movie  ;) (see: 0:10 - 0:40)

SDCC 2007, 2012-2014, 2016-2019 | ECCC 2012-2019 | WC 2010-2011, 2016, 2019 | RCCC 2015 | SVCC 2016-2019 | DCC 2016 | SLCC 2019 | SWC 2015 | Fanime 2010-2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
That's considered his flop.  Before it came out, I saw him talk about it at an ACM meeting.  He showed scenes from what they had of it so far.

Man of Steel is one of those movies I can watch over and over again.  IMO, it's THE Superman movie.  I find it hard to believe that the same director that made that made Suicide Squad.

* re: ABYSS - yeah, it was definitely not-as-advertised, per say.  I remember when it came out and I saw it in theaters I was surprised at how little action it had, and how it was more of a contemplative movie: more character-driven.  I really wonder if his original cut (that was too expensive at the time, with the massive tsunamis and whatnot that made the nuclear threat message much more literal than the more metaphorical theatrical cut) would've played better.  I was lucky enough to be in an audience at a Sci-Fi movie marathon in the 1990's that got to see the director's cut premiered (likely a mid-western Premier IIRC; maybe at best a North America or US premier?) on the big screen and it blew me away!
Also, of course, ABYSS was essentially a huge budget VFX test/proof-of-concept for TERMINATOR 2 (that also scratched Cameron's first major itch to get into diving, submersibles, etc).

** SUICIDE SQUAD was written & directed by David Ayer, not Snyder.  I agree, I really liked MAN OF STEEL, even if it is a...different (don't want to necessarily say "modern," like Snyder Goyer have said, as one could make a modern take on Superman that's a little less cynical), and it's easily the best of Snyder's DCEU films by a bit: and also wonderfully cast!

Offline chocolateshake

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 695
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:31:19 AM »
* re: ABYSS - yeah, it was definitely not-as-advertised, per say.

I've always liked Abyss.  It's the strength of the performances that sold me.  I didn't hear it was a flop until years after it came out.  I was surprised.

** SUICIDE SQUAD was written & directed by David Ayer, not Snyder.

That makes sense.  The style of the films are so different.  I don't know why I thought Snyder was the director.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1657
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

If nothing else, I kinda really hope JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE SNYDER CUT is successful enough to stoke the fires for an Ezra Miller-starring FLASH film.  After seeing him at Comic-Con promoting JUSTICE LEAGUE BITD, I _really_ need to see him star in his own Flash film!

We keep getting bits of his Flash.  I really liked the humor in the CW TV"s Flash meeting Ezra's version.

That makes sense.  The style of the films are so different.  I don't know why I thought Snyder was the director.

The Flash scene in Squad was directed by Snyder and he had EP credit. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

Offline lliving

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
Since I already have HBOMAX(thanks AT&T!), I'll check it out. If it were going to be released in theaters, there is no way I'd pay to see it.  I have a low bar given Snyder's track history. Hopefully this version won't look
Is the FLASH movie still in the works?  I think it's on director #4(or 5?) and Ezra Miller seems to be keep doing enough bizarre stuff to get himself kicked out two franchises

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 05:55:20 PM »

We keep getting bits of his Flash.  I really liked the humor in the CW TV"s Flash meeting Ezra's version.

The Flash scene in Squad was directed by Snyder and he had EP credit. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .
* yeah, I don't really watch all those CW DC shows (I used to watch "The Flash" but just got behind and never picked it back up), but I did watch that 'cross-over' event and got a HUGE kick out of seeing his Flash cameo!  That was awesome, along with the fun decisions they did throughout that crossover event, but really it just reminded me how badly I need to see an Ezra Flash movie.  To be honest, I only really knew him from the film WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, a film that made me terrified for awhile about being a dad again (long story short, I was really worried I'd have another kid who, this time, was a sociopath - luckily my 2nd kid is as normal as one would expect a kid of mine to be, which is to say "questionably"  :P ), and I'll never forget the Comic-Con where Snyder brought the whole JUSTICE LEAGUE to Hall H, and I realized how fun Ezra seemed to be.  I always liked the Flash comics as a kid, so I was happy he did Barry well (even if it kind of felt to me like DC was copying the "MCU Peter Parker vibe," Ezra was so much joy to watch, and played that part with so much heart, I was bought-in very quickly). 
It's weird because I'm a pretty big movie nerd, and I _rarely_ associate an actor with a character, but Ezra was so freaking chilling as Kevin: a sign of an incredible actor, I think!

* thanks for the clarification of Snyder directing The Flash scene: I had forgotten that.  Kind of like how it wasn't uncommon for MCU directors to director the post-credits seen if it tied into their next film (for example, James Gunn directed the THOR: THE DARK WORLD post-credits scene w/The Collector)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Guess HBOMax didn't want to wait until 230pm

Offline SamTurtledove

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ