Author Topic: DC FanDome movie thoughts  (Read 1026 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
DC FanDome movie thoughts
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:43:33 PM »
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a ton of chatter, so I'll add my thoughts on the movie presentations I watched.  I won't go in any particular order...

1) THE SUICIDE SQUAD - I'm a huge James Gunn (writer/director) fan, so I will follow him anywhere.  This looks exactly what you would hope for with this kind of film:
- crazy characters. Look at that list of characters that aren't Harley Quinn or Captain Boomerang (i.e. the more well-known characters/folks we know from the first film): Peacemaker (John Cena!); Black Guard (Pete Davidson!); Savant (Rooker!!); Weasel (Sean Gunn!); Blodsport (IDRIS FREAKING ELBA!!!!); The Thinker (Peter Capaldi!); Polka Dot Man; Ratcatcher; Javelin; and TDK, 'The Detachable Kid' (Nathan Fillian!); SHARK KING!!!  These are going to be a lot of fun because...
- the actors.  Look at that amazing cast: this will be entertaining, we know this
- James Gunn wrote & direct. That's all we need to know; the man has not lead us wrong yet!
- This is going to be a darker, maybe more violent (meaning, characters above will certainly die) version of the nutty fun of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
I'm most excited for this film, and hope that this will get a SDCCI 2021 panel

2) THE BATMAN - I grew up a huge Batman fan, the first comic lines I collectly monthly/bi-weekly/whenever in the 1980's.  I even called and voted to kill Robin in the late 80's.  That being said, I think Nolan gave us a great 'Batman Year 1' story arc and I'm not thrilled with the idea of revisiting that period in young Bruce's life.
And then I heard director Matt Reeve talk about what he wants to do, and his inspiration.  His passion, and his ideas (and his track record: the APES sequels are flat-out great, LET ME IN is a real good movie, especially if you don't know the Swedish original, and CLOVERFIELD is incredibly solid for what it is, which is a miniscule budgeted giant monster movie), piqued my interest.  Then he rolled a teaser trailer, from only 1/4 of the way through the film's shoot, and I became interested.  I really like ideas he's going for, and a solid cast make me cautiously optimistic this will be good.  Paul Dano as Riddler is diabolical, and I'm hyped for that.  This looks good.

3) BLACK ADAM - not much here, since there's no script or anything yet.  The Rock has been working on this since at least 2014, so he's passionate about the character.  Introducing the Justice Society of America is a cool idea, even if it feels a bit closer to Infinity inc with the descendants of legacy characters.  Should be interesting to watch develop

4) WONDER WOMAN 1984. this panel that kicked off the event was really awkwardly staged, with giant screens for the cast and director and real long shot of the lame moderators, so it looked like Chris Pine looked like a Kaiju about to eat the moderators!  The footage was cool, but didn't wow me like the original teaser did.  Patty Jenkins and the cast knocked it out of the park, and the "fish out of water reversal" in 1984 will work for some laughs, so I'm not worried about this one.  I was underwhelmed a little, and that bummed me out, but I'm already sold.

5) SHAZAM! 2 (or should I say Shazam!: Fury of the Gods).  Again, not a lot to share but the title.  I can't tell if the Sinbad schtick was a joke or for real, but I kinda hope it was meant as a joke, everyone took it seriously, and they're now stuck with him in the cast.  I really enjoyed the first movie, and I look forward to its sequel: any film that sets up the big bad as being a talking caterpillar is aces in my book, and I will flock to the sequel

6) JUSTICE LEAGUE Snyder cut/presentation/miniseries or whatever. I've started a thread about my thoughts on this.  We now know it'll be a four hour miniseries, though how it's cut (and if the time of each hour-long episode includes huge credits or not we don't know) is anyone's guess: as a legit series, with cliffhangers and self-contained ish "episodes," or as an awkwardly-cutup 4 hour movie.  Snyder used "Hallelujah," (or 'reused from WATCHMEN, if you will) which feels on the nose, or eye-rolley for me but whatever.  We get the dark aesthetic folks seems to want more of, some bad video game cut scenes of unfinished CGI, and some promises of more characterizations for Flash and Cyborg, which I legit look forward to.  I'm neither hyped nor against this, but I'll watch it next year when it drops none the less.

I unfortunately missed THE FLASH presentation, but I'm hyped for whatever the pseudo-Flashpoint movie story we'll get.  I'll be curious to see how many Batmen we get

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: DC FanDome movie thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
DC Fandome 2021

YT

Relive every moment from #DCFanDome! For a limited time, check out the biggest announcements, the biggest reveals, and all the exclusive content from the epic global fan experience on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:21:23 PM by SamTurtledove »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:42:11 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
DC Fandome 2021

YT

2021 felt a bit more underwhelming to me.  I dunno if it was the pacing, or the lack of lots of footage, but it didn't do a ton for me.  Movies that have been filming for awhile  should have had better teasers, IMO.  There's no WAY they couldn't have shown us more for BLACK ADAM, a film slated to be released this coming summer: no Dr. Fate (oh the tease of showing Pierce Brosnan holding the helmet!), no Hawkman, etc?!  I get not a ton of footage for SHAZAM or AQUAMAN sequels, since those are still pretty far out, but more for BLACK ADAM at least would've been nice.
And that "secret special reunion!" was just two people talking "Smallville?!" 

There was some fun stuff, but it was hard to think that this presentation would in no way play great in Hall H.  Obviously they would've had a much different presentation for SDCCI, AND I waited in zero lines and watched this from my couch: for free.  So, I'm not complaining, per say.  But it feels like whomever spearheaded this event this year didn't do a great job: or at the very least they could've done better.  The pacing wasn't great, and I would've really liked more comic book talk and maybe less pics of cosplay. A whole thread can be had with talk of THE BATMAN trailer, but I think we all know that was going to play well regardless.

Overall, I feel like I could've skipped the whole thing and caught up on the trailers and teasers on my own time later in the day or something: not a great feeling for a much-hyped event (though technically one could make the same argument about Saturday in Hall H, there is some intangible, impossible-to-explain energy/vibe about being in Hall H watching a huge WB or Marvel panel that seeing footage on youtube later just doesn't capture)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 09:04:51 AM »
Saw this morning DC FanDome 2021 brought in 66M views, according to WarnerMedia, triple last year's 22M  :o
Makes sense, given there was no schedule of events and it was just rolled out as a 3.5 hour continues thing.  I don't know _how_ they compiled that number, but at least it certainly sounds like a metric worth being excited about

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:06:57 PM »
Reading up on DC Fandome China on Twitter featuring  more interviews with cast members.

#BlackAdam interview for #DCFanDome China (Part 12) with star Dwayne Johnson You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here’s a great promo of Ezra Miller promoting #DcFandome in China stating #TheFlash will be opening up the DC Multiverse like an acorn

Thanks @sashacsource for sending this to us You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And a DC Exhibit with props.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:11:22 PM by SamTurtledove »