Author Topic: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN - thoughts on a revenge film  (Read 718 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN - thoughts on a revenge film
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:21:15 PM »
PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a solid directorial debut from writer/director Emerald Fennell (one-time "Killing Eve" show runner) that tells the story of Cassie (Carey Mulligan) trying to find catharsis that's likely impossible.  Cassie was a former med school student who dropped out due to trauma that gradually becomes revealed throughout the film's runtime.  This "revenge" thriller will likely mean different things for different viewers: perhaps a sort of catharsis for those who've experienced sexual assault or abuse; maybe a sobering wake-up call for guys with incredibly unhealthy behavior.

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN delivers a confident narrative involving a woman clearly struggling: Cassie lives at home with her parents and works as a coffee barista who doesn't seem to have many positive relationships with anyone.  When a former med school classmate happens to stop in for coffee, Cassie sets a plan into action that takes her from seeking a release to seeking retribution.  We see early on that she has a sort of "hobby" of going out clubbing, faking being drunk and 'vulnerable' while some guy takes her home and attempts to take advantage of her before she reveals herself.  We don't see her going much further than shaming said guy(s), but after starting a relationship with her former classmate we sense she has grander plans.

As we see the story unfold (and I dare not spoil the twisty turns and developments), it's impossible not to feel both sympathy and horror for Cassie.  We want to feel empathy for this clearly damaged soul who's been wronged at every societal turn initially: authorities, the college dean, the legal system, etc.  Her's is a tale all too well-known, and many viewers will know at least one woman irreparably damaged by sexual assault: women who received zero justice, and victimizers who saw no accountability in a broken system that favors 'strong men' while mostly ignoring vulnerable women.  Cassie doesn't seem to let _anyone_ into her world, to help her deal with her pain.  But conversely we don't see many around her putting forth legit efforts to help.  Even Cassie's parents don't seem to be helpful (though dad, played by the always awesome Clancy Brown, seems at least perceptive that Cassie is dealing with trauma, but like many fathers seemingly incapable of stepping up to offer help).

Also co-starring are former "GLOW" castmates Allison Brie & Chris Lowell (as former med school classmates of Cassie), Laverne Cox (as a coffee co-worker, and one of the seemingly only 'neutral' friend of Cassie's) as well as stand-up comic Bo Burnham (who brings _some_ slight levity at times, though he is 100% not a "funny guy" character).

The film doesn't delve into the dangers of Cassie doing what she does: it doesn't deal with Cassie seeking psychiatric help, or dealing with her trauma in a more healthy way.  Of course, viewers do become aware that the legal system has failed her, so maybe this is a "last resort" type of situation.  This is a minor quibble, and the film handles the revenge theme in a unique way. 

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN strikes me as maybe a 'spiritual sequel' of sorts to the 2005 Elliot Page film HARD CANDY, about the young girl who sets up a pedophile for revenge.  Cassie has the same meticulous & well thought out revenge strategies as 14 year old Hayley in HARD CANDY.  There isn't any gore in PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, and there's a much deeper focus on trauma here as well.  But the double feature of the two movies would be a satisfying one, to be sure.

This film is fairly low-key, with some biting dark humor at times.  The middle of the film feels a bit like a relationship dramady at times, which maybe lulls viewers into a false sense of hope for Cassie to settle down into a more "normal" ending.  There are plenty of tonal shifts throughout, but that feels intentional (and isn't a problem, IMO).  The film really wants us to root for Cassie, one way or the other, and the end isn't unsatisfying (though I'm not sure if it "lands,"  per say: but, again, that could be 100% the intent).
Or maybe we're supposed to see Cassie as a villain herself?  Another type of problem in a system full of systemic issues.  For example, the film makes it clear that the tiered narrative of "but the victim was drunk..." is horrible and inexcusable, only to turn around and show Cassie drugging a victim in order to execute her revenge plans.  Some folks may have problems with that seeming dichotomy; I think, however, that the complications instead paint a realistic view of a complex situation.  Of course vigilantism isn't "the way," but what is?  In a system seemingly designed to protect mischievous men, one that seemingly condemns any woman for dressing a certain way or drinking "too much," where else can women hurt by men turn?  The movie doesn't exactly present any realistic answers, but the snapshot into this one situation is at least an intriguing, if not entertaining, glimpse at revenge that undoubtedly will excite some of its viewers.  Maybe this film on its own is catharsis for them.

The one person connected to Cassie's friend's assault (and my extension Cassie's trauma), an attorney who defended the rapist (played well, w/out overdramatics by Alfred Molina), reveals his own inner-trauma from being a part of the damaging system and is thus shown compassion and forgiveness. In a film that centers around doctors and education administrators, I'm intrigued that one of the few "good" characters is a defense lawyer.  The message of this film is pretty clear that we (especially the male half of 'we,' and most especially the men in position to help women) need to be perceptive to these hurt women: to be helpful and empathetic when we can.

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is out now in theaters (I watched it via screener at home, and the nearest theater playing it for me is about 120 miles away), and will be coming to VOD Jan. 15, though there are currently no announced plans or schedule.  It's released by Focus Features, an independent distributor
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:15:45 AM by perc2100 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN - thoughts on a revenge film
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:12 AM »
Out today on VOD!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:23:02 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
Watching it this weekend!

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 01:39:38 AM »
I finally got around to watching it after being excited about it when I watched the trailer last year. It's definitely a movie that will start some discussions about our culture. It was a fun, disturbing watch and the ending was gut-wrenching but satisfying. If anyone likes the movie, I highly recommend watching Emerald Fennel's (writer/director of Promising Young Woman) previous writing project, Killing Eve season 2, which showcases her wicked sense of humor and fun, ridiculous storytelling. Killing Eve season 1 is technically the better written season (by Phoebe Waller-Bridge) but season 2 was still worthwhile to watch.