Author Topic: WandaVision - that weirdness just beneath the suburb's surface  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1673
Re: WandaVision - that weirdness just beneath the suburb's surface
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »
Just rewatched it:

"What is grief... If not love persevering?"

What a great quote.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 986
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do have to say its been weird that the general public now knows these characters.  Not bad, just weird.

Seriously!  It cracks me up that for weeks "laymen" have been debating whether or not Agnes is Agatha; the thought that the general public is massively aware of Agatha Harkness is kinda funny to me (in a glorious, awesome way)!!  :P

I LOVE the fact that it stayed SW doing this and she wasn't manipulated into it.  Makes the story more complex.
Yeah I totally agree!  There was a part of me that was hoping there was absolutely no other 'bad guy/gal/witch' and the show just stuck with "Wanda is losing it due to the immense weight of grief from all of the losses in her life from the last 10-15 years or so."  Wanda in the comics was bad (introduced with Pietro in Avengers #4, the same issue Cap came back and joined The Avengers for the first time replacing Hulk) before switching to The Avengers/good team so I like delving into her dark side.  It's amusing that her arc in the MCU is: originally bad guy (whom we thought _might've_ been bad because of Hydra manipulation but now we know her grudge lies w/Stark from his days as an arms dealer) -> turned good mid-film to join The Avengers in the final battle; fought w/them as good the rest of the way -> now back to bad (ish? we still don't know the full story so can't say for sure).  It's almost as 'convoluted' as how Marvel writers handled her over the decades (I've lost track how many dads have been attributed to the twins over the years; I remember for awhile her dad was actually The Whizzer - yes, an actual honest-to-gods real Marvel Comics character): very comic booky! 

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline lliving

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2021, 06:03:34 AM »
I don’t think those “parts” they showed Wanda at Sword HQ were Vision.  Sword had him for 5 years after the snap, no way they were just starting to take him apart when Wanda returned looking for his body. I think White Vision(or project cataract) was already fully formed. Hayward was just using a bunch of set props to trick Wanda into using her powers to turn on his sentient weapon. I think that is why when Wanda touched those scraps, she couldn’t “feel” him.  It’s because it wasn’t Vision, just some staged craps.

Sent from my ???? using

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
Is it Friday yet?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »
I don’t think those “parts” they showed Wanda at Sword HQ were Vision.  Sword had him for 5 years after the snap, no way they were just starting to take him apart when Wanda returned looking for his body. I think White Vision(or project cataract) was already fully formed. Hayward was just using a bunch of set props to trick Wanda into using her powers to turn on his sentient weapon. I think that is why when Wanda touched those scraps, she couldn’t “feel” him.  It’s because it wasn’t Vision, just some staged craps.

Sent from my ???? using

Good observation, you may be right!  Maybe that was the proto-"White Vision" rebuild

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
Is it Friday yet?

Ok, I'll stop.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 10:00:13 AM »
Well, Episode 9 is clearly titled "The Series Finale" as yet another nice wink to its love of TV sitcoms (side note: remember all the "Seinfeld" eps were simply titled "The..." with the subject in it?) as well a likely definitively letting us know this is indeed a 'limited series' and not an ongoing one.  The finale of the series felt like the Marvel 'Standard Operating Procedure' of lots of spectacle & fighting.  WandaVision, in true MCU fashion, ended with the least memorable aspect of the spectacular series: just as the big climax of most Marvel films are the least memorable (with some exceptions of course, with the Avenger films being the most obvious), "The Series Finale" is maybe the least inspiring, lest original aspect of the nine episode series.  It should also be said that while I do indeed enjoy a good celebrity trolling their fanbase, Paul Bettany mentioned how excited he was to work with a great actor he's aways wanted to work with being himself might've set up a lot of disappointed fans expected to see Doctor Strange or some other big MCU 'heavy.'  It didn't bother me, but I'd be lying if, in the back of my mind knowing this film somehow connects to the DOCTOR STRANGE sequel, I wasn't thinking "well maybe we WILL see Strange show up, even if in a cameo or something."

I'll just recap some of my general thoughts of the finale, and for the purposes of anyone (oddly) reading this w/out seeing the finale I'll keep things mostly spoiler free:
* the action beats were really well staged & directed; too many TV shows stumble with big action set pieces (see past seasons of "The Walking Dead," especially during the Neegan war stuff).  The director expertly used simplistic visual geography to make it easy to follow all of the characters' actions
* while the action set piece finale feels like standard, "meh" MCU, the fact that both of our heroes won out because of their brains was great!
* WandaVision in general highlights how the MCU shared universe is both an asset and a detriment.  Obviously this series would likely not exist (or not work as well) w/out the shared universe, but but feels hampered because it gives WandaVision a lack of closure or real weight: for a series that seemingly strived, and more often than not succeeded, at being much more.  I mean, the end almost feels like a bit of a cheat: like it hedged its bets at the end.  _A_ Vision still exists in the MCU (and now White Vision has memories of the real Vision & is ready to swoop in and save the day whenever The Avengers need him next).  And the post-credits stinger
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

* We do get a nice 'sequel' to the "What is grief, but love persevering" moment when Wanda is putting the boy to bed in the end for the last time.  Vision alluding to them meeting again someday is both nice literally (in the MCU - see White Vision), and symbolic/metaphorical for us in the real world (see believe in the afterlife).
* Wanda going from seeing the horrors her Hex has put on the townspeople one moment, to then seeing her dismantling the Hex "hurt" her loved sons and thus rebuilding the Hex not being ready to deal with their loss is an odd choice.  It's like we don't ever _REALLY_ see Wanda have to reckon with her false reality family: the whole "she has to let them go, and deal with her loss, in order to fix the horrors she's inflicted on innocent civilians" feels mostly skipped over.  It felt like it could've been another layer of the study in grieving; maybe the creatives thought it was too heavy here at the end?
* After the emotional ending, it felt like an odd thematic decision to pivot to hear Monica 1) imply she'd do similar to bring back her mom if she had the powers and 2) the people of Westview should be thankful(?!) if they knew what Wanda gave up to free them.  At least Wanda wisely replied it wouldn't change how they feel about her.
* Bummer we had a significant lack of Darcy
* Monica felt mostly sidelined except for her big 'hero moment' (showing off powers similar to what her comic character has!).
* "Fietro"'s explanation felt pretty lame and mostly "undercooked" in the end.  And also felt like Marvel was ultimately being either a bit too cute for their own good and/or flat-out trolling the fans to jump to theories on the internet.
* I did dig the Skrull mid-credits scene: presumably setting up CAPTAIN MARVEL 2?!  I'm amused the final ep of the series goes full-Marvel with both a mid & post credit scenes
* It was awesome to see an 'updated' version of the Scarlet Witch comics costume!
* "Mrs. Hart" asking Wanda for death rather than being a never-ending sitcom character feels like dark commentary on TV & the monotonies of seemingly never-ending characters in the same situations over and over and over and over again.  Like, maybe Hawkeye Pierce would ask for sweet sweet death rather than having to live the life of an Army surgeon for three times th length of the actual Korean War in the sitcom MASH.

I liked a lot of the finale quite a bit while watching it, but upon just a little reflection it unravels a bit.  Overall, it's a "fine" ending: not great, not bad, but serviceable.  Like a true comic storyline it brought us back (mostly) to the status quo pre-WandaVision while also setting up and getting us excited for future MCU installments: not a bad thing, and kind of commendable when you think about it.  Marvel Studios has spent the last 13 years getting us to not only fall in love with their films and characters, but simultaneously making us REALLY exciting for the next films/series down the pipe.  It really is expert long-form storytelling and is to be commended from both an artistic as well as business model.  WandaVision is a triumph, and sets up Marvel's streaming series with an incredible high bar both creatively and execution-wise.  I'll maybe post some thoughts later on this weekend about the series overall but I'm incredibly satisfied as both a MCU fan and old-time comic nerd!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »
I am really happy with how the show ended.  The Vision/Vision resolution was a very interesting outcome that was way better than ending with a slugfest.

I LOVED the fact that Wanda always had powers which means mutant which is a great subtle intro of mutants into the MCU.

The psychological aspect of this show really made me wish (again) that they hadn't done the professor Hulk transformation off screen.  I was really disappointed when he just showed up unexplained in Endgame. 

That storyline is great and would be really well suited for a TV show like this.  Hulk 268 through 280-something I think is worth reading if folks are interested.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:46:06 PM by Chris »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1531
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »
We watched Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of WandaVision yesterday.  So nice to see the characters again, and fun behind the scenes info.  I really love Kathryn Hahn, perfect casting!

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 875
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »
We watched Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of WandaVision yesterday.  So nice to see the characters again, and fun behind the scenes info.  I really love Kathryn Hahn, perfect casting!

I watched that too.  I didn't know that Vision was CGI in the show.  He did look different from the movies but I just thought they didn't spend as much time to do the make up.  Instead it was CGI.  Which makes it great CGI since it doesn't look it.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1531
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »
I watched that too.  I didn't know that Vision was CGI in the show.  He did look different from the movies but I just thought they didn't spend as much time to do the make up.  Instead it was CGI.  Which makes it great CGI since it doesn't look it.

I didn't realize actresses would wear blue lipstick and other make up for black and white tv, since red shows up as black.  Lots of interesting stuff!

Offline lliving

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 104
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »

Sent from my ???? using

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 03:18:52 PM »

I love special features like these where they go in depth on the making of the show.  Interesting stuff.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2021, 06:21:38 PM »
I'm a logical guy, who knows a thing or two about 'movie magic.'  But I will _NEVER_ not do a double take seeing 'Vision' pre-FX when you can see just the makeup color + the ears (ESPECIALLY the ears)!  :P
I really love Kathryn Hahn, perfect casting!
YES!!  From the casting to the 1st ep. through the finale, Kathryn Hahn = "WandaVision" MVP!  She was brilliant throughout, and is an incredible actor; I was excited to see her as the 'Heavy'/'Big Bad' of the series.  She elevates everything she does, and is seemingly perfect being either the comic genius (at times in "WandaVision," STEP BROTHERS, etc) or drama (she ruled as Doc Ock in SPIDER-VERSE), and even 'low-key' as the usually 'straight character'/not-as-funny-as-her-castmates' characters in "Central Park." 
Even better, "WandaVision" left her alive and still out there, so it's reasonable to think she'll pop up again at some point in the MCU!

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 521
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 05:40:02 AM »
The novelty of the sitcom episodes wore off on me pretty quick and having read House of M I knew this was all Wanda.  So, I didn't bother to watch the rest of it until this weekend.  Holy ... I have to learn to not be so quick to judge.  I was really surprised that
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
  I've rewatched it the whole series again.   So good.
Twitter feed:  [email protected]