Author Topic: SDCC 2021  (Read 17276 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: SDCC 2021
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think the big draw for SDCC is often exclusive content. For panels, unless the celebs are there in person or there is exclusive footage being aired, is it worth attending? For the exhibit hall vendors, unless there's exclusive merchandise that you can't buy on-line, do you need to go? If there are no off-sites that can only be attended while there, is it worth it? I guess the bottom line is that people are looking for an exclusive "experience".

We have been going for many years, and I've never gone because there was an exclusive. In fact, I've never bought an exclusive. I go for the panels, the chance for autographs, the cosplayers, and the comradery of waiting in long lines. So, in answer to your question, is it worth attending if there are no exclusives? Yes.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 04:53:17 PM »
I for one say No it’s not worth it if there are no exclusive experience or exclusive merchandise. What is the one point of paying extra money when it’s like meeting up at your local comic book store and watching everything  on YouTube?  I hope they better not take our money from 2020  and throw a virtual con for the public. I will be pissed. You are paying to go to comic con for the reason of getting or doing  something that someone did not pay get to have or to do..the pure meaning of exclusivity.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 04:56:14 PM by ALF »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:03:52 AM »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 06:06:06 PM »
I also question the point of a smaller hybrid con. When I wrote earlier that I hoped for a Comic Con in a different city than no Comic Con at all, I didn't think about a smaller hybrid con taking place. Not that I would expect a typical giant extravaganza Comic Con like previous years but a mid-sized one that still featured some celebs attending in person, assuming everyone in attendance has already been vaccinated and everyone still wearing masks. If the con is only going to feature celebs on a live stream Zoom chat for the panels, I may not be interested spending the $250+ badge fees for that. Maybe I'll attend for 1-2 days to meet up with friends/group members but that's about it.

It feels like the other aspects of Comic Con, the exclusives, could be handled easily online and through a lottery system. No need to make people wait in line to buy exclusives anymore.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »
I don’t think a smaller in person SDCC is going to work, hybrid or not. If a 135,000 person event is not going to be allowed due to coronavirus restrictions, a 60,000 person one isn’t going to be allowed either. We need to get to a point where big events can come back before we get in person SDCC back.

I’m also not sure about the out of state thing. To me “saving up resources for Comic-Con” doesn’t imply moving out of state at all. It’s going to be a lot of extra work for nearly the same amount of uncertainty. Sure, some cons are planned in other states right now...but cons were also planned in other states up through this spring until they weren’t. I don’t think any medium-sized or larger comic convention has happened anywhere in the US since last March, even in less restrictive states. (I’ve heard of some small hotel cons and swap meet type events, but nothing big enough for a major convention center.)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 03:37:02 PM »
It's interesting to speculate how they might try to pull off a smaller hybrid con.

I agree that it's highly unlikely studios or networks would break their production bubbles for a con. It's possible that they could do zoom panels like they did last year, but add an element where they are also broadcasting the panel on the screens in Hall H or Ballroom 20. People who are there might get a chance to interact and ask questions during Q&A, but the panel itself would be live-streamed and no one from the movie or TV show is actually there in person. I'm sure that would be less of a draw, but might interest some people.

They would probably have to do something like scale back the exhibit hall to 50% fewer vendors so people have a chance to social distance.

I don't know. I guess I'm just trying to imagine how they could pull this off in SD or elsewhere. But when I think of how it might look I'm not 100% sure I would still want to go.

I think the big draw for SDCC is often exclusive content. For panels, unless the celebs are there in person or there is exclusive footage being aired, is it worth attending? For the exhibit hall vendors, unless there's exclusive merchandise that you can't buy on-line, do you need to go? If there are no off-sites that can only be attended while there, is it worth it? I guess the bottom line is that people are looking for an exclusive "experience".

Yes, the opportunity to gather with friends is still a big draw, but a lot of the exclusive stuff is what generates long lines. And if they do offer anything exclusive, then you're right back to where you started where well over 100,000 people will want to be there and social distancing will be impossible. And if you reduce capacity, it won't matter because tens of thousands will still go to San Diego just to "be there".  They already do it.

Anyway, it's just something to think about.
For a 'hybrid' Con, I can maybe see them doing something like:
* zero indoor panels
* utilizing space around the Convention Center for either Exhibit Space or screens for big panels (Hall H/Ballroom 20/Indigo Ballroom type movie & TV panels)
*_maybe_ utilizing Petco Park for a socially distant "Hall H" style panel place.  We have an _AMAZING_ HD (or whatever the highest res outdoor sports screen is) scoreboard screen that would work great, with minimum obstructed seating; they could even use space within Petco but outside the field/seats area for either line staging or 'exhibit hall' type space: the "park at the park" area that is normally a general admission type space has held a bit of exhibiting type space for past events, albeit nothing like Comic-Con
* could utilize space normally occupied by 'vendors' for exhibit hall space: think where [adult swim] typically has their set up; stuff in the parking lots directly across from the Convention Center & Petco Park (the Petco side of the walkway bridge); etc.  Yes, this would take money away from the city/businesses who rent that space out but whatever one-year concession for the great good
* all panels would be virtual; I agree with Dave G about the likelihood of studios 'bursting their bubble' just for a promotional panel: the time(s) (and cost) necessary for quarantining going back to work would likely be untenable.  Films or shows/creatives already done w/production or not currently working _might_ be down for an in-person type of thing but I think that'd be unlikely.
* visiting the Exhibit Hall would move to a "reservation" type system, where maybe each attendee would get a randomized block of time they're allowed in the exhibit hall in order to maintain smaller capacities.  They'd have to heavily enforce those reservation times, but if Disney can manage it for stuff like Galaxy's Edge preview & early openings, so could SDCCI.  It could open up a new blackmarket for badges or whatnot, but CCI could deal with all of this if they had to/wanted to.

It's kind of fun to think about, IMO.  Comic-Con has been innovative, IMO, over the years with catering to fans and delivering the gold standard in fan conventions: there's no reason not to think that with a myriad of advanced planning they won't come up with something really cool!
Of course, they're close to a mom & pop operation (sort of), and don't have a huge staff to problem-solve like this.  I think with the myriad of virtual 'conventions' and promo stuff other companies have been doing over the last 12 months, the template is out there for virtual panels to be really cool!  And we saw last summer that smaller panels might have gotten a significantly larger audience in the virtual world than they would have in an in-person SDCCI so maybe they wouldn't need to change-up much, just involvement w/larger companies' panels.  I think now that things are calming down in the entertainment industry (relative to 17 months ago when the last Virtual Comic-Con @ Home occurred), there will be plenty of product that studios, comic companies, manufacturers will want to hype to Comic-Con (though it's kinda depressing to think we might literally STILL be waiting for stuff like, say, BLACK WIDOW to be released at the time SDCCI 2021 rolls around  :( )

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 03:45:59 PM »
We have been going for many years, and I've never gone because there was an exclusive. In fact, I've never bought an exclusive. I go for the panels, the chance for autographs, the cosplayers, and the comradery of waiting in long lines. So, in answer to your question, is it worth attending if there are no exclusives? Yes.

I think Dave G more mean 'exclusives' not just purchasing stuff, but "see the trailer ONLY shown at Comic-Con!" and stuff like that.  For example, Marvel Studios have still never released the absolutely amazing video that was Paul Rudd & Michael Pena describing every movie/event from the MCU up to a certain point for the benefit of their new co-star Michelle Pfeiffer to be filled in.  It was hilarious, everything everyone who has said "I want to see those guys describe the MCU like Pena does in the Ant-Man movies!" would want & expect, and would've been PERFECT as a Blu-ray extra or something!  But Marvel still likes to keep their panels 'special' for the fans, who may see the same INFINITY WAR sizzle reel on display at D23 Expo a few weeks ago, but will still see other cool stuff others won't.  THAT to me is one of the main reasons I love Comic-Con!

Of course, I live in San Diego and only have to worry about 1) procuring a badge (and as an educator/pro that's easier nowadays) and 2) parking.  So I wouldn't have to sweat extra costs of travel & lodging expenses many would, and a smaller, scaled-back Con would be fine by me for a year.  I get why others wouldn't want to spend all the extra $$ for a much smaller/less 'sexy' SDCCI.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 06:56:03 PM »
*_maybe_ utilizing Petco Park for a socially distant "Hall H" style panel place.

That was my suggestion last year.  Hold comic-con at Petco.  Other cons have.  There is actually quite a lof of space to hold different panels.  The seating can be divided up to be different panels.  That's where Conival was held.  That's where Microsoft held a Rocket League event.  It wouldn't be as private, if "Hall H" is on the field, everyone can see it.  But it would be much safer than holding it at the convention center.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 05:27:37 AM »
Yeah, when I originally mentioned "exclusives", I'm talking about any experience you can only get by being there, not just purchasing exclusive merchandise. That would include off-sites, parties, autographs, random celeb encounters or anything marketing related that you can't see on-line.

I didn't think about Petco, so that's an interesting thought as to how they might utilize some outdoor space. If they converted some panel rooms into more vendor or exhibitor space, that might also help. I really do think the exhibit hall is the toughest. Even if only 20% of attendees were in the hall at one time it wouldn't allow for any social distancing. So having reserved blocks of time would almost be mandatory. Hanging out in line would be interesting as well. You could probably still chat with anyone "in your bubble", but otherwise would be required to keep six feet distance. Imagine how long that could make lines.

It is possible that some authors or comic book pros could be there in person. There would still need to be some strict guidelines for that, but they probably aren't in the same protective bubbles as movie/TV show crews. I don't know, it still feels like interesting speculation, but a lot has to go right over the next few months to pull this off.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
To all the CPAs and tax attorneys, can CCI rollover the tickets to next year or will they have to refund them?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 02:57:19 PM »
To all the CPAs and tax attorneys, can CCI rollover the tickets to next year or will they have to refund them?

You want us to work?  I don't specialize in non-profit so I am not sure. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 06:44:47 PM »

Not a professional opinion... but why couldn't they? They might need to ask 'permission' again from each badgeholder, since originally the badgeholders only agreed to rollover to 2021. But that's the only restriction I can think of.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:44 PM »
Not a professional opinion... but why couldn't they? They might need to ask 'permission' again from each badgeholder, since originally the badgeholders only agreed to rollover to 2021. But that's the only restriction I can think of.
Something to do with retained money and their non-profit status?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »

That's exactly it.  It's not a matter of accounting or taxes, it's a matter of consumer protection.  For example if you order something and it's delivery is delayed.  After a set amount of time, a vendor has to ask if you want to continue waiting or cancel.  That's exactly what CCI did.  They gave people the option to get a refund or rollover.  So they are doing what the consumer agreed to.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2021, 12:13:00 AM »
Something to do with retained money and their non-profit status?

They can't recognize it as revenue at this time.  I know non-profits can receive donations on the condition that they meet another obligation.  Until they meet that obligation it can't be recognized.  In this case, they sold for an event so I am not sure as I haven't read all the non-profit rules and regulations.  I know there were big changes with ASC 606 recently on recognizing revenue but I don't know that they apply to a non-profit. So it's not about being a CPA or a tax accountant (which would most likely be a CPA)  you need someone that works in non-profit.   

My guess is they can ask that badges be rolled over, but the real question is can they touch that money for anything other than the event.  I would think that answer is no based on the little non-profit I have learned, which leads to do they have enough cash to keep their heads above water for another year that doesn't. If they can use the money but end not surviving then we all lose our money.  If they can't touch it and are not sure they will be around in 2022 I think we would see a refund. 

As for holding money I don't think that is an issue.  It just goes on the balance sheet.

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 04:12:20 AM »
They can't recognize it as revenue at this time.  I know non-profits can receive donations on the condition that they meet another obligation.  Until they meet that obligation it can't be recognized.  In this case, they sold for an event so I am not sure as I haven't read all the non-profit rules and regulations.  I know there were big changes with ASC 606 recently on recognizing revenue but I don't know that they apply to a non-profit. So it's not about being a CPA or a tax accountant (which would most likely be a CPA)  you need someone that works in non-profit.   

My guess is they can ask that badges be rolled over, but the real question is can they touch that money for anything other than the event.  I would think that answer is no based on the little non-profit I have learned, which leads to do they have enough cash to keep their heads above water for another year that doesn't. If they can use the money but end not surviving then we all lose our money.  If they can't touch it and are not sure they will be around in 2022 I think we would see a refund. 

As for holding money I don't think that is an issue.  It just goes on the balance sheet.
Thank you.