Author Topic: Y: The last man  (Read 369 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 5835
Y: The last man
« on: October 20, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »
anyone else watching it?

I've been enjoying the series- interesting sociological look at gender reactions and roles.

I was unhappy to see it being canceled- it seemed odd given the recent tendancy to not cancel and/or give series a chance to wrap up. Then this crossed my feed- a look at why it was cancled-- surprise-- it had nothing to do with viewership. Upshot it has a chance to be sold to another channel

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 100
Re: Y: The last man
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 11:39:28 AM »
anyone else watching it?

I've been enjoying the series- interesting sociological look at gender reactions and roles.

I was unhappy to see it being canceled- it seemed odd given the recent tendancy to not cancel and/or give series a chance to wrap up. Then this crossed my feed- a look at why it was cancled-- surprise-- it had nothing to do with viewership. Upshot it has a chance to be sold to another channel

Thank you for reminding me Alyssa.  I remember seeing the promos for this series.  It intrigued med but I never tried to watch it.  I guess I'll need to try for sure now.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:59:57 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1102
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
I've watched every episode.  I like it.  I'm surprised it's canceled.  When I first read that I thought that they weren't even going to finish streaming the entire season.  Some shows do stop just like that.  But by the end it seems that they will finish the season.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 113
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »
I still have all the issues bagged and boarded.  ;D
I have enjoyed watching the show and am sorry it's not going to continue.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 304
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will continue, just on HBO Max instead.

Offline debster

• Temp
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 406
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will continue, just on HBO Max instead.

I hope so, I'm enjoying it (even though I like the comics better).

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 113
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
I hope so, I'm enjoying it (even though I like the comics better).

Same here

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 5835
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »
it's the first new show that's pulled me into it's universe in a while.
I'm really hoping it doesn't go away.  Here's the twitter's #YTheLastMan @Y_FXonHulu

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
At first, I found the last man character completely irritating.  Not because it wasn't a good character that isn't well acted.  But because it is.  I've known people like that in real life.  They can't seem to focus on what's important at the moment.

The Last Man was just on the cover of Post.  How could they cancel it?

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1222
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »
anyone else watching it?

I haven't seen this, but once its run is over I'll likely get Hulu for a trial and watch Y & Only Murders in the Building (maybe over Thanksgiving Break before Turkey Con).  I read that the cost to produce each ep. is around $8.4 million, which may be a significant reason why it was canceled.  The comic book is pretty sprawling in its locales (it's essentially a 'road trip w/crazy adventures' type of thing), with not a ton of time in even fixed cities, let alone closed locations: not like The Walking Dead that spent a lot of time in a farm, a lot of time in a prison, and a lot of time in a small suburb.  IIRC the comics were in 3-4 issue 'chapters' or story runs, with many of those being in different places as the small lead group travels from the east coast to the west coast to Japan.
I'm really anxious to see this, though I dunno how hyped I am now that I know it was already canceled; I might just wait to see if it's picked up somewhere else first.

Is it pretty faithful to the comics so far?  Do you have a sense w/how far in the story the first season goes to (like, does Yorick get out of DC? Do they get to the train to OH: or the OH community of ladies)?  How do they handle the Sisters of the Amazon?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 11:47:22 AM »
Only Murders in the Building

IMO the best show in the last year.  I love it.  Also I think it's great considering the ageism in Hollywood and society in general, that a show with two senior citizens as leads can be so successful.  How old is Steve Martin anyways?  In the show, all the other characters make fun of how old he is.  He doesn't look older than Martin Short.

I'm hoping that Hulu has another $1.99/month deal again this year.  Last year's ends next month.  Between Hulu, Amazon and HBO I watch Hulu the most.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1222
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
At first, I found the last man character completely irritating.  Not because it wasn't a good character that isn't well acted.  But because it is.  I've known people like that in real life.  They can't seem to focus on what's important at the moment.

The Last Man was just on the cover of Post.  How could they cancel it?
Ha; that's pretty much how the comics character is (irritating, but with lots of humor, at least - which would DEFINITELY rub people the wrong way, though he felt kina like "my people!" to me  :P )