Author Topic: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: SDCC 2022: Air Transportation
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2022, 12:12:57 PM »
In the same vein, anyone get their Real ID done yet? PA residents need to have one by May next year so I need to get on this.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2022, 12:51:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the same vein, anyone get their Real ID done yet? PA residents need to have one by May next year so I need to get on this.

I thought we all had to have Real ID by last October to fly (or you would need a passport), which is why I got mine down earlier this year.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 09:48:24 AM »

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2022, 01:37:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I was always the kind of person who got to the airport 2 hours+ before my flight. It took me 2 years of TSA Pre to get more comfortable with arriving later. I now get to the airport 30 minutes before my flight boards (so 60 minutes for Southwest flights). 30 minutes is plenty of time to go through security, hit the bathroom and get to my gate before boarding. So nice.

You see, I'd like to think I would ever be that chill, and maybe because if what happened with southwest once hadn't I could be, but I don't foresee it happening. I always check a bag and I happened to be flying home from vacation and the entire electronic baggage system for Southwest went down. Luckily, I'd arrived super early because it took about 35-40 minutes to get my bag checked. No one had any idea what to do about it basically and everything was being handwritten onto luggage tags etc. Spoiler: My checked bag never ended up leaving my origin airport that day and had to be put onto a flight the next day to make it back to SD to me after they located it. Totally a completely freak thing that is highly unlikely to ever happen to me again, but it'll always be in the back of my mind.

Devorah's message had me canceling my TSA Pre-Check interview I'd scheduled for mid-August (I have a location down the road from work, so it's pretty convenient now,) because I thought about Global Entry. That will need to wait until I get my passport renewed (I'll try to get it figured out this weekend finally,) but after that...

They keep pushing back the general requirement for it (federally for flying,) but I went ahead and got mine early this year. My license needed to be renewed anyway. It was really easy. I had also renewed online twice (so 10 years,) and they were making me go into the DMV again anyway.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:44:59 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2022, 06:20:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that can make a difference. I never check a bag and will go to great lengths to avoid doing so.

We got our Real IDs as our licenses expired. It was the easiest way to do it. Once they actually start requiring it (it’s been delayed so many times) there will be a rush on DMVs to get it.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2022, 07:44:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that can make a difference. I never check a bag and will go to great lengths to avoid doing so.

We got our Real IDs as our licenses expired. It was the easiest way to do it. Once they actually start requiring it (it’s been delayed so many times) there will be a rush on DMVs to get it.

Some states offer the service to get Real ID's in AAA offices if you're a member.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2022, 10:45:24 AM »
Some states offer the service to get Real ID's in AAA offices if you're a member.

You might want to call ahead and check though even if it looks possible online. I did the RealID process through the CA DMV website and was able to link from there to the AAA website and make an appointment - and then when I showed up to AAA they told me they couldn't do RealIDs there. It was a huge pain to then still have to go to the DMV, and at no point in the online process did it say that AAA could do normal renewals but not RealID.