Author Topic: SDCC 2024 Hotel Discussion  (Read 8250 times)

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1397
Re: SDCC 2024 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2023, 08:26:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay, I'm starting to think seriously about this now. We need two rooms: one room for 4 nights, one room for 1 night. Can I do it as a block during hotelpocolypse? How would that work? Do I try to snag 2 rooms for 4 nights each and then cancel nights for one of the rooms?

I have never tried to book more than one room. Should we just try to each book our own room, or should we each try to book 2 rooms and then drop the block of rooms we don't want?
You can do a multi room request with different dates for each room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9661
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2023, 06:10:32 AM »
I'll also add.... you can do a multi-room request for 2 rooms for the same dates, then adjust the dates on them individually after the lottery.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 09:38:36 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 249
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2023, 12:43:53 PM »
I'll also add.... you can do a multi-room request for 2 rooms for the same dates, then adjust the dates on them individually after the lottery.

Maybe this. I would probably fail from the stress of trying to think about what room and which days.

Is requesting two rooms going to make it harder for us to snag rooms?

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4538
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2023, 02:04:21 PM »
Maybe this. I would probably fail from the stress of trying to think about what room and which days.

No one really knows, I personally don't think so, you would have to come up when they only had 1 room left at that hotel. 

But great teaching moment for everyone - in the hotel exchange on here you can only ask for one hotel room. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Dome92

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2023, 06:20:25 AM »
Hi all, first time for me at the SDCC next year and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Are the early bird hotel rooms refundable?

Thanks!

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 453
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2023, 06:29:00 AM »
No

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2023, 07:49:04 AM »
Hi all, first time for me at the SDCC next year and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Are the early bird hotel rooms refundable?

The Early Bird rooms are great if you just want a guaranteed room and not have to go through the stress of hotelpocalypse. But these rooms are not downtown (although they are all on the shuttle line, IIRC). If you're fine with not being downtown, and you're 100% certain you are going to SDCC, then you can think about booking Early Bird.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2023, 10:58:00 PM »

Super late in responding to this, but just a few points to think about for multi-room requests where variable nights are needed. Keep in mind, if you choose to go the multi-room request w/ same dates for both rooms initially route:

1. Make sure you choose hotels that don't have a min. night stay (I think there's 1-2 in past years that had a min. 3-4 night stay even via the lottery distribution. Except in some cases, you either won't be able to drop below numbers if you receive those rooms/hotels and want to drop more nights, or you can drop below them with the website and then receive an email later about not meeting the min. requirement and needing to fix it or have it cancelled iirc.)
2. Make sure to select the longer date stay to be safe to start with on the form. It's usually quite easy to drop nights after confirming rooms (unless there's a min. stay,) but it's not always as easy to add them/at times takes some diligence as customer service generally can't do it for you during certain ranges of time. The system is during certain periods locked to adding nights yourself, even if they are available.

I need to remind myself to request more nights than my group generally needs myself for the sake of the exchange... as most people want more nights than my group needs.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Nimitz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2024, 07:13:56 AM »
Really hope they don't do it the first 12 days of march. I will be on a cruise that week and no access to the internet. Will be trying for MMM or Hilton Bayfront

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 453
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2024, 07:16:41 AM »
Lately they’ve been doing it in April.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2024, 01:19:18 PM »
Last year I couldn't get a hotel at all, at least not a close one so I didn't even go. I don't want one that I have to take a bus to. Hope I have more luck this year.  :allah:
By the way, I didn't even get a notice about the early bird hotels.

Offline Stoops

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2024, 04:21:19 PM »
Last year I couldn't get a hotel at all, at least not a close one so I didn't even go. I don't want one that I have to take a bus to. Hope I have more luck this year.  :allah:
By the way, I didn't even get a notice about the early bird hotels.

Looks like there's still one hotel available on On Peak for early bird. I believe more hotels became available recently too but got snatched up, so keep an eye out on that page should you still want one through early bird.

Offline blusurfer

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2024, 09:28:30 PM »

I'm super late in responding to this, but I don't think it is having a number of rooms, but more the type of bed you request. I feel like for SDCC there are more people requesting rooms with two beds, rather than a single king.

I don't have any proof of that, though.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2024, 05:57:43 AM »
I'm super late in responding to this, but I don't think it is having a number of rooms, but more the type of bed you request. I feel like for SDCC there are more people requesting rooms with two beds, rather than a single king.

I don't have any proof of that, though.

I can give you lots of anecdotal evidence on that, based on FoCC results in the hotel lottery, and on the FoCC Hotel Exchange.

- There have been many reports of people scoring rooms at hotels in the lottery (even having submitted their form after others who were denied the same hotel) because they requested 1 bed instead of 2. This has happened to me personally.

- The FoCC exchange request list always has a very high percentage of 2 bed requests, and very few people who are even willing to consider a single bed.

- Personally, I have had an extra king room at MMM before and had difficulty giving it away, because people didn't want it and preferred to hold out for 2 beds, even knowing that they would likely be further away.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2024, 08:08:43 AM »
I guess people want to share the cost so the requests for two beds is higher. I like my privacy and I'm a neat freak so I'll always opt for a single king over two queens.  :grin: