Author Topic: The Marvels- Superhero Fatigue?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
Re: The Marvels- Superhero Fatigue?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2023, 05:09:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Goose is cute, but
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sent from my using
I just realized that “spoiler” doesn’t work on the tapatalk app.  Sorry to anyone if I  just ruined a plot point.  Also if anyone knows how to make the spoiler function work on both the tapatalk app and web version of the forum, please let me know.

Sent from my using

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4538
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2023, 10:04:35 AM »
Goose is cute, but
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sent from my using

I see it differently, don't tell me.  I am just going to suspend my disbelief and let it be a thing.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:50:10 AM »

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 06:21:32 AM »
I saw it Saturday and really liked it. There was a handful of people in the theater but it was also a 2pm showing on a Saturday in a small town so honestly more than I expected (for any movie at that time in our location). It had similar vibes to the Ms Marvel show which was a plus. Kamala's family being a good chunk of the B plot was fun, I'm glad they brought them over from the show. The shorter run time was refreshing, I didn't have to worry about timing a bathroom break haha. The mid credit scene was cool too.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 04:09:02 PM »
I think the problem with the film for viewers is that you had to be up on your Marvel universe to know what was going on. Luckly i had binge watched the Ms. Marvel series and Captain Marvel movie before going (I forgot about Rambeau in "Wandavision"). That's a lot of backstory for a general audience. I like the connected universe but it's hard to remember every detail. Maybe self-contained stories are the way to go.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2023, 04:11:04 PM »
I totally enjoyed the movie. I adore Iman Vellani and think she is completely charming as Kamala Khan. Her fangirling all over Carol was funny. I loved the flerkittens and their exploits. Hilarious! I honestly needed some levity after No Way Home, Guardians 3 and a few of the other movies. I about squealed during the mid-credit scene because I immediately recognized one thing before you saw it. Overall I thought it was a solid movie and just a fun experience.

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 01:41:27 PM »
I totally enjoyed the movie. I adore Iman Vellani and think she is completely charming as Kamala Khan. Her fangirling all over Carol was funny. I loved the flerkittens and their exploits. Hilarious! I honestly needed some levity after No Way Home, Guardians 3 and a few of the other movies. I about squealed during the mid-credit scene because I immediately recognized one thing before you saw it. Overall I thought it was a solid movie and just a fun experience.

The fangirling is basically us if we were put in the shoes of meeting Cpt Marvel. Loved Iman's accurate portrayal of how I would act if I ever met Ms. Danvers

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1757
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 02:10:31 PM »
First, I want to say I really liked THE MARVELS: I think it's one of the more entertaining post-ENDGAME MCU films.  Ms. Marvel is a true gem on Disney+ (as well as network TV this past fall, thanks to the WGA/SAG strike that left programming holes - the first time I think a Disney+ streaming series ran in its totality on TV), and I legit think Iman Vellani is an absolutely WONDERFUL, charismatic actress that Marvel Studios should absolutely lean on going forward!  I thought THE MARVELS was relatively breezy (though it feels like they cut stuff out for timing - some bad guy stuff, to be specific), with a nice light tone to it.

Aaaaaand it bombed.  Badly.  Why it bombed is a little bit more complicated, I think.  I believe the SAG strike keeping actors out of talk shows and promotional tour absolutely hurt the box office returns; imagine Iman & Brie Larson on all the talk shows, along w/Teyonah Parris and maybe even Samuel L Jackson and we're in for fun times!  Many summer and fall films bombed, and it's no coincidence those misses coincided w/the SAG strike (and yeah, BARBIE & OPPENHEIMER rushed to do tapings pre-SAG strike so there was promotional stuff leading into the release).  I mean, do you think DIAL OF DESTINY wouldn't have made more money if we had Harrison Ford every where?!

Of course, a lot of folks want to talk "comic book movie fatigue," and that's maybe fair.  Marvel has been Top Dog, with consistent box office returns for over a decade since it's (INCREDIBLY audacious) first release.  I think far worse MCU movies were hits (the second THOR movie is a great example), but I think Marvel's 'INFINITY SAGA' wore out the mainstream audience.  They came out with an OBVIOUS finale, and while there was a Spidey sequel released only a few months after ENDGAME, I think 'normal' mainstream folks were generally done.  We can't underestimate how popular and charismatic RDJ is, and how endearing Chris Evans was as Captain America.  I always think of my parents as a typical movie audience: they don't see everything in theaters, but they see the 'Oscar contenders' as well as the really popular stuff.  Since ENDGAME, my parents have only seen the Spidey sequels & GotG vol 3.  They haven't been that into the newer characters introduced, and they don't have Disney+ to see those series; and thinking about it, I guess they weren't that into Doctor Strange either. 
Is that fatigue?  IDK, I guess that _could_ be a simpler way of saying it.  I mean, most of the MCU post-ENDGAME stuff dropped during heavy COVID restrictions:
BLACK WIDOW, SHANG CHI, ETERNALS all came out in a dicey 3rd & 4th quarter of 2021.  NO WAY HOME was a huge hit because of the Multiversal nostalgia stuff, but the 'early' MULTIVERSE SAGA all ran into COVID issues.

Mixed with Marvel spreading their wings to intro new characters.  After what felt like a 'hard' finale w/ENDGAME.  I suspect PLENTY of mainstream, non-'nerds' were mostly done with Marvel stuff post-ENDGAME.  My parents saw every Infinity Saga film in theaters, and very few Marvel films since because they were invested in the characters.  They LOVED the GotG vol 3 film and have said they'd see more from those characters.  People saw less films during the 2021 COVID times, and because of that I think people just generally lost interest in Marvel: or maybe even long-running franchises in general (amiright Mission: Impossible?!).  People are jumping on the bash-Marvel bandwagon, after the studio ran at the top for slong, and it feels like sharks pouncing on blood in the water more than anything: folks are hyped to kick the big dawg while they're down.

Does Marvel Studios have their own problems?  I think that's fair to say.  Their gluttony of Disney+ streaming services (that were absolutely ordered by former Disney head Bob Chapek who saw the fruits of The Mandalorian and 'insisted' Marvel deliver the same content) meant A LOT of cooks were in the kitchen while a plethora of 'dishes' were being cooked up.  Quality control is easy with a couple, or even up to 4 films in a calendar year are released: Marvel had _NINE_ films & streaming series (each series = around 6 hrs of story) in 2021 alone!  Prior, THREE films is the most Marvel ever released in a 12-month calendar year.  I think this is an easy 'lesson' that Marvel has learned and will likely change going forward, and that's a good thing.

Maybe there IS too much to keep track of?  That's debatable; I think THE MARVELS did a splendid job of bringing folks up to speed if they missed WandaVision, Ms. Marvel, and whatever else was connected to the film.  I personally think Disney+ streaming would be best suited for exploring factions of the MCU that aren't in the films.  Werewolf By Night was fantastic, and it would be fun to see that lower-key stuff on Disney+ instead of inter-connected stuff.   Like all things, there's been some really good on Disney+ from Marvel, and some not-so-great stuff.  I've generally liked it all, but some I'll likely never watch again, and some I've already watched multiple times.

I think from an observer standpoint, this is fascinating: Marvel Studios is absolutely at a bit of a crossroads, and how they react going forward will be integral to their future.  And kind of fun to watch.  Star Wars has set a great example on Disney+ w/out having to worry about movie box office, so the metrics of "popularity" are muddied enough where it all looks like a great hit.  Obviously BARBIE was a huge hit, as was the 3+ hr. OPPENHEIMER, but those were absolutely weird one-offs are more great films + brilliant marketing strategy that hit the zeitgeist juuuuust right where both movies hit big (**funny thing about that: BARBIE dropped on the same day as OPPENHEIMER because Christopher Nolan was pissed at WB for how they handled released during COVID and went to another studio; meanwhile WB decided THEIR big 2023 movie they thought had broad appeal would release on the same day as Nolan's as a sort of petty jab - turned out BOTH great films found a huge, wide audience and both won at the Box Office).  I don't think this is a repeatable thing, and the only lesson IMO to be learned there is "let Directors & Producers run with their vision!" as was the case w/both films (the 'inside baseball' stories I've heard about what Margot Robbie did/pushed for/stood by in regards to her Producer role on BARBIE are incredible; and to get BOTH a major studio AND major toy company to go along with that film blows me away - we've witnessed a minor miracle that film was releases as-is, and I LOVE that mainstream audiences flocked to the film).

So maybe this is a very long way of confirm superhero fatigue here, but I think the reality is far more nuanced than just waving the hands of 'people are tired of comic book movies.'  I'm really curious to see how DEADPOOL 3 does, and I _LOATHE_ how many spoiler pics are online, and the too much inane debates and discussions on what it all COULD mean.  DEADPOOL is Marvel's only 2024 film release and while it seems like it's in a good place, who knows.  Will Marvel/Disney interfere w/content?  Will Marvel try to shoehorn MCU stuff in a weird way?  Are audiences still clamoring for Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool after six years since DEADPOOL 2?  We'll find out, I guess.  We're still a ways away from the new James Gunn-led DC stuff, and AQUAMAN is more of an anomaly than indicator at this point.
Either way, obviously Marvel isn't going anywhere anytime soon, nor is DC Studios.  When there is milk still to come from the golden calf, Disney & WB will milk it dry, into the ground, before an eventual hard reboot.  But I don't think we're at that stage yet