Author Topic: True Detective: Dark Country - True Detective is BACK!! SPOILERS  (Read 770 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1757
True Detective: Dark Country is season 4 of HBO's uneven 'True Detective' crime series.  The first season starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson as Louisiana State Police detectives investigating a bizarre murder is a flat-out masterpiece; conversely, season 2 starring Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams as cops in CA is a near-unwatchable mess (and we won't even get into Vince Vaughn :o ).  Season 3 bounced back nicely, getting back to its roots of southern gothic murder/kidnapping & multiple timelines starring the impeccable Mahershala Ali & his partner Stephen Dorff.  It didn't quite live up to the near-perfect season 1, but it was far better than the 2nd season misstep.

Series creator/writer Nic Pizzolatto left after s3, with Issa Lopez taking the reigns as show-runner/writer (she co-wrote all the episodes, much like Pizzolatto before her) and directing (all the eps, as Cary Joji Fukunaga did s1).  She has seemingly created a season that is both totally in-line w/the best of s1-3 of 'True Detective' while also veering wildly into very different territory.  She first takes us out of the hot/sweaty/uncomfortable environment of the south (or southern CA) and we're instead spending the season in a fictional freezing-cold Alaska town, that is is total-darkness for the bulk of the season (I don't recall if its said how long it's in darkness, but think 30 Days of Night or the opposite season of the film INSOMNIA).  Eight men suddenly disappear from an arctic research facility outside of town, and Chief Liz Danvers (the always-great Jodie Foster) is on the case.  At first, there are no bodies or sign of a struggle at the lab: merely a tongue, which Danvers is confident belonged to a indigenous woman (due to indentations/scarring consistent with fishing methods).  Trooper Evangeline Navarro (relative newcomer Kali Reis of Native American descent) takes interest in the case due to an unsolved murder of an indigenous activist woman who was stabbed, beaten, and also had her tongue cut out.  There is some friction between Danvers & Navarro over the unsolved murder case.
We meet others from the small town that seems to be a mix of mining & indigenous folks, with a father/son pair also on the local police force under Danvers' command.  The episode ends with one local townie being directed by...someone/something (seemingly a barefoot guy in an unbuttoned flannel shirt outside in the below-zero snow & ice: a guy we learn has been dead for sometime) to a patch of ice where three of the researchers' bodies are found frozen in the snow: with horrified looks on their faces, as if they died/froze mid-scream.  To add to the mysteriousness of the season, there is some unexplained 'thing' (word used both unintentionally at first, but also as maybe a cheeky reference to the John Carpenter masterpiece that also involves deaths at an arctic research lab) that scampers across a hallway, unexplained electric issues, and FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF somehow perpetually stuck on the parade Beatles sing-a-long when the cops arrive.

The first ep does a great job of both setting up the basic premise & introducing us to a myriad of characters we'll likely be spending time with along with their own personal situations, from Danvers & her step daughter issues, a town drunk fighting with her boyfriend, domestic problems at a local plant, etc.  All while also setting up the dark, eerie tone (and with a relatively freaky-yet-poppy series opening credit song by Billie Eilish!).

I know it's only the first episode, but I'm hooked.  I read an article over the weekend where show-runner Issa Lopez said HBO asked her what she'd do with True Romance and she told them she really wanted to delve more into the supernatural aspect only hinted at in season 1.  Now, a lot of people expected s1 to go in the supernatural direction (with the Yellow King and whatnot) where I was 100% happy with the fact that human beings on their own can be inherently terrifying, inexplicable, and weird on our own.  Will this season get full-on supernatural?  There is a very distinct THE THING vibe, as mentioned earlier, with a nice easter egg reference of the film (in one shot, you can clearly see the home video of the movie on a shelf)!  This could be misdirection, or the series can buck the trend of the first 3 seasons that focused on humanity and social dramas and instead go for the supernatural. 
We'll have to wait and see for that.

What we know is there's a compelling mystery, and a lot of peculiar things around town to pique your interest.  The show is obviously anchored by multi-Oscar winning Foster, but the other characters around here seem just as compelling: and we haven't even really delved much into the whole indigenous people population of the town which will almost certainly add an entirely other compelling layer to the story.  There are hints that somehow this might fit in with at least season 1's weirdness, especially concerning some of the symbology from the first season that seemingly makes appearances this season.  Again, that could just be a tease to get fans hyped via marketing, so I'm not buying too much into that yet.

I do know this seems like a good series.  It's undeniable that season 4 is a mirror of season 1 (again, the undisputed greatest/best season of the series thus far): men vs women detectives; hot vs cold; bright vs dark.  I'm already hooked and this series has absolutely become appointment television for me and I look forward to see where Ms. Lopez takes us!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 05:27:34 PM by Devorah »

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 246
Re: True Detective: Dark Country - True Detective is BACK!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 05:16:24 PM »
I'm a little torn on this latest "True Detective". While I love stories set in remote artic locations (Thing, Helix ,30 Days of Night), I'm a little fatigued after just finishing "Murder at the End of the World". It's also highly reminiscent of AMC's "Dark Winds". I'm seeing a lot of cliches that feel like lazy story writing. Indigenous people vs greedy mine officials, mean old white cop vs female cops. The dead guy leading the women to the bodies was straight out of "Twin Peaks". That said Jodie Foster makes up for a multitude of sins. I'll keep watching but I hope it has some twists and turns that will pull me in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 05:26:58 PM by Devorah »

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1397
Re: True Detective: Dark Country - True Detective is BACK!! SPOILERS
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 05:28:34 PM »
Moderator’s note: edited title to add spoiler tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:23:26 AM »
In a rather audacious move, at least compared to seasons 2 & 3, 'True Detective: Dark Country' (ie True Detective season 4), is indeed a stealth, direct sequel to True Detective season 1!  Early in s4e2, we get confirmation that the ghost that communicated with local townie Rose & led Rose to the bodies of the dead/frozen scientists is Rose's late husband: Rust Cohle's dad (!!) - a possibility that even though I just did a s1 rewatch leading into the premier of Dark Country, and I _KNEW_ Rust talked of his dad living in remote Alaska, I didn't really think this season would have any correlation (why would I? Previous seasons had nothing to do with each other other than broad themes of detectives solving a mystery).

But that's not all!

Also in s4e2 we get a reference to the much discussed Tuttle family (cult) featured prominently as behind-the-scenes awful people from s1.  To recap the Tuttle family from s1, we had Billy Tuttle, the big-money religious leader who publicly was a rich, powerful political person as well as a prominent religious leader, whose foundation ran many churches, ministry operations, and children's schools.  He died sometime during the timeline of s1, off screen, presumably of a drug overdose.  Detective Rush Cohl, who quite the LA State Police and continued investigating a murder case he believed Tuttle was involved in, broke into some of his houses before Billy Lee died where he found incredibly damning evidence (documents, video tapes, etc) of sadistic rituals Billy Lee and his family/friends did to young girls.  Cohl believe Billy Lee was murdered when it became known to collaborators the evidence was stolen.
There's also Edwin Tuttle, or as Billy Lee called him 'cousin Eddy,' who was governor of LA, and later became a Senator.  His involvement in the murder cult is unknown, but he definitely helped cover it up as far as connections to his family.
Of course, there's also Errol Childress, the illegitimate son of Billy Lee who had many issues (and was a kidnapping sexual assaulting murderer at the heart of the cases of s1).  The Tuttle cult was around likely in the 1930's, by Billy Lee's father, and reached all the way through at least 2012, when s1 concluded (the original murder investigation that started s1 began in the 1990's). We never learned how deep the Tuttle family's influence or cult ran, or even how large.  Three men connected to specific murders investigated in s1 were killed by the main character detectives before being able to talk.  None of the influential/more powerful members of the Tuttle family were caught, and it's unknown if Edwin's role was ever exposed publicly.

So The Tuttle Family and its organizations were at the heart of all of the bad things the detectives of s1 were investigating.  And apparently their influence/organization has reached all the way up to way northern Alaska: in this case, revealed to be the organization (Tuttle United) that has been funding the research center's work.  That, and Rust Cohle's dead dad's ghost is apparently "helping" the living with their investigation of the Alaskan missing researchers.  This is at least slightly a pseudo-stealth sequel to season 1!!  We also get the more subtle winks so s1: the 'abandoned' Lone Star beer bottle at the empty research station; and of course all of the spiral symbols we've seen so far, most recently marked on the forehead one of the found corpses of a frozen researcher.  There were plenty of spiral symbols and allusions throughout s1, from obvious markings on victims, 'graffiti' made by killers, etc. that seem to paint it as symbology of the Tuttle cult.  But there were also more cosmic spiral symbols that would appear, such as a large flock of birds flying in a spiral shape, or in the night sky & stars.

What I like about this season so far is how it's the dark mirror of s1; it's not starting to feel like it's putting the final dialogue from s1, from Cohle no less, to the test.  Cohle and his former partner Marty are talking about good vs evil/light vs dark.  Cohle has spent most of the season as cynical about life in general, and humanity in particular.  But here, at the end, after Cohle nearly died in his mission of putting the murder of the girl whose death kicks of the season to justice, he gets a bit optimistic.  Cohle says that in the beginning, there was only darkness, and now we also have light: looks like light is winning.  Dark Country-as-dark mirror is absolutely putting that assessment to the test here, both literally (the town experiencing 30 days of darkness/nighttime) and figuratively.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 01:24:03 PM »
Thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !  Great rundown of all the season 1 happenings.  My daughter and I rewatched s1 last week in preparation for the new season and recognized the Tuttle name but I didn't initially pick up on the ghost being Rust's dad.  Your post is a great start to the rabbit hole I'm about to go down, searching for all the theories.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 04:58:58 PM »
I think it's a mistake to tie this season into the first season. I don't want to study (i.e. watch season 1 again) in order to know what's going on.  It reminds me of "Fargo" where you spend half your time trying to remember the connections from each season to the current one. I don't mind an Easter egg or a throw a way line but having to recall too much mythology ruins the enjoyment of the new story. I'm hopeful this show will stand on its own.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 07:28:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it's a mistake to tie this season into the first season. I don't want to study (i.e. watch season 1 again) in order to know what's going on.  It reminds me of "Fargo" where you spend half your time trying to remember the connections from each season to the current one. I don't mind an Easter egg or a throw a way line but having to recall too much mythology ruins the enjoyment of the new story. I'm hopeful this show will stand on its own.
Yeah, it's definitely a different take: and it's hard not to think "this is the kinda thing that happens when the show creator/original show runner & writer leaves the series.  That being said, so far I'm digging it, and I honestly don't think knowledge of the first season is integral to the Dark Country story thus far: I kind of facetiously say this is a "sequel," when in truth the easter eggs are just more overt in s4 than 2 & 3.  Instead of seemingly random inexplicable symbology we (also) get relation to characters of seasons' past.  Maybe, like Carcosa & the Yellow King* this is all mostly smoke & mirrors w/no obvious payoff.  One could write an essay about what happens when fangirls & fanboys take over a franchise (hi JJ Abrams!), where there's far more than just influence & the fangirls go for more obvious homages that may or may not have payoffs & can straddle the line between winks & retread cliches (hi JJ Abrams, and what's potentially frustrating is you can pick a franchise, or even an 'original' movie, with this guy as to what I may be referring to!!).
As I've gone through life as a movie nerd, I've gone pretty full-circle.  As a kid, I watched NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET as an 8 year old in theaters and instead of being scared I was mostly fascinated with the special FX craft on display.  As I got to HS & college, I knew just enough to think I knew it all: I was uber cynical and it _really_ clouded my judgement & tastes.  As I've gotten older & calmed down, I feel pretty chill about film (and series that are...cinematic): that cynicism still lurks, but I can mostly sit back and enjoy or not enjoy.  There is definitely that cynicism here, where a small puzzle piece of my brain is telling me this series is on the edge of being wanna-be good/actually not-good: it's teetering close to trying to be cute with its callbacks & dark mysticism.
BUT, for the most part of my brain, I'm enjoying this ride: plot contrivances & all.  I think it's doing what it's doing incredibly well and I'm digging most of it, and anxiously awaiting what comes next.  I didn't get around to see e1 until last Tuesday, I think, and immediately after I've designated this 'appointment TV' that I'll absolutely watch Sunday nights.  There are VERY few TV/streaming series that fall in that category for me currently, so that's impressive to me.  Here's hoping this season is a fun one: and if it goes all-in w/the weird & mysticism, I'll ride with 'em (presuming they keep up the quality).

*NOTE: it's hard to understand how much the internet went nutty about the Yellow King, Carcosa, and the mystic references of the first season.  People were SURE that the conclusion would be some nutty thing: people thinking this show would end up on Lovecraft territory!  Personally, I _LOVE_ that first season for sticking with "human beings are horrible & weird all on their own w/out any help," and the creatives backing down from that 'weird' was totally fine by me.  The writer/director here said she wanted to lean more into the weird, and only time will tell how far she takes this stuff

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 07:32:59 PM »
Thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !  Great rundown of all the season 1 happenings.  My daughter and I rewatched s1 last week in preparation for the new season and recognized the Tuttle name but I didn't initially pick up on the ghost being Rust's dad.  Your post is a great start to the rabbit hole I'm about to go down, searching for all the theories.
It's wild!  I went into this season presuming that, like the previous seasons, this would be almost completely unrelated.  When she mentioned the name 'Travis Cohle,' I did a bit of a double-take and had to rewind to make sure I caught that correctly!  Same with the Tuttle United: that is interesting territory to delve back into, IMO.  While I'm totally OK with the "in this world, sometimes, maybe way more often than we'd like, the BIG bad guys walk away from justice," I would of course be happy to see more creeps from that family go down!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 12:13:21 PM »
Well, through 3 episodes, all featuring various states of a  frozen/melting corpsicle, I think we can say True Detective s4 is a full-on horror series.  I would argue that seasons 1-3 are definitely not, and are much more pulpy detective shows; I've even said s1 backing away from its cosmic leanings is 100% satisfying, since humans doing awful things to each other is typically far more terrifying and dark than throwing in some cosmic sci-fi horror thing into the mix.  Of course, one could simply counter with "THE THING," and they've got me there.

Which is where we are (or rather, where we _MIGHT BE_) at True Detective: Dark Country.  We have aspects of the pulpy detective genre, similar to season one: we have cops working to solve a weird crime, with different philosophies and back grounds.  We have a small town full of quirky, interesting characters, all of them seemingly have something to hide: blue collar folks against protestors, cops hiding things from each other, a research center few seem to know what they're researching, jealous town drunks, etc. 
But we have stuff already wildly inexplicable, that past seasons didn't really have.  We have a ghost of a man dead for years, conversing with the living and pointing them to clues (missing scientists) that said living would have no idea of w/out the ghost's help (unless, of course, she's the murderer, which currently seems implausible).  We have inexplicable events, such a random animal herds running around populated towns.  We have macabre symbols that have turned up previously in unsolved murders.  We have bizarre cell phone videos of what may be a person's last moments alive before a horrendous death (that we haven't seen full details yet, so it's unknown where that may be going currently).  We have a whole slew of mysterious happenings.

And, we have that corpsicle, that both the cameras of the series and, admittedly, myself, are fascinated with.  It's gotten creepier each week, as it's been thawing out, and now that it's just about thawed we've learned a few things that might push this more into horror territory:
- the men likely did NOT die of exposure, or froze to death, as attested to by a vet friend of the cops; apparently in his experience, when animals freeze to death they're kind of at peace as their body has shut down.  The corpsicle men are looking terrified, suggesting they died while in sheer terror
- the corpsicle bodies were stripped naked (with neatly folded clothes near the death scene) with burnt eyes, self-inflicted bite marks, ruptured ear drums, and other strange injuries
- one of the researchers is missing: there are 6 men entangled in the corpsicle, one man with severe exposure injuries in the hospital (getting to him in a sec), and eight men originally reported missing.  He's presumed still alive somewhere, but whereabouts currently unknown
- the one survivor in the hospital is obviously in bad shape:  blind screaming in shear terror, he repeats that they "woke her" and that she hunted them in the dark, claiming she is still there before the nurse sedates him.  After Jodie Foster's character leaves Navarro alone with the patient, he sits up in bed and calmly tells her that her mother is waiting for her, and he salutes Navarro before suffering a fatal seizure.  (I personally see that as more than likely in Navarro's head, as she's clearly mentally dealing with A LOT of baggage, BUT that is speculation at this point).

So I think now that we're at the halfway point (I think this is a 6 episode season, even though previous seasons were 8  >:( ) it's safe to say this is absolutely a horror episode.  I have friends that like police detective shows but stay away from horror, and I've encouraged them to watch the first and third seasons of True Detective.  I would emphatically say THIS season leans far more to the horror side, and to maybe wait to see how it plays out.
I love a good movie or series where at the halfway point I have very little idea of what's coming next.  When I was younger, I would often spend a lot of time trying to guess, or theorizing heavily on what might be coming up.  But as I've gotten older, it's more fun for me to just go along for the ride with a movie or series that's a bit on the unpredictable side.  I get a little more annoyed/bored with movies/series where I CAN easily guess the story/character beats coming next, and so far Dark Country is not in that category.  I'm having fun with this one, and I'm really curious to see where the back half of this story takes us!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 12:35:42 PM »
Watching the most recent episode, it kind of dawned on me: what if Ennis, Alaska (the fictional Alaskan town where Dark Country takes place), is somewhat of a literal Carcosa?
Carcosa is a fictional city, originally introduced in the short story "An Inhabitant of Carcosa" by US Civil War vet Ambrose Bierce in the late 1800's.  The short story is a sort of meditation on death, with the main character from Carcosa, wandering an unfamiliar wilderness and contemplating death.  He doesn't know how he got there, only remembers that he was sick in bed.  And it's very cold, but he doesn't _feel_ cold.  He comes across some random animal but neither the man nor the animals actively engage each other.  It's kind of perpetually night, though the man can see plain as day.  Of course, at the end of the story he comes across his own tombstone and realizes he is indeed dead.

Of course, in the True Detective world, particularly the masterpiece that is season 1, Carcosa is referenced via 'The King in Yellow,' a play written by Robert W. Chambers a little less than 10 years after "An Inhabitant of Carcosa."  Chambers was of course influenced by Bierce.  In Chambers' works, the city of Carcosa is a mysterious, ancient, probably cursed place.  In "Cassilda's Song" in The King in Yellow Act 1, Scene 2 Carcosa is described as:
* Strange is the night where black stars rise, And strange moons circle through the skies (this is obviously familiar to fans of s1 of True Detective, as this is what Rust Cohle sees upon entering the Louisiana 'compound' that the killer lives near that he called Carcosa; in the show, Cohle sees this in broad daylight before encountering the killer)
* Along the shore the cloud waves break, The twin suns sink behind the lake, The shadows lengthen (a bit more metaphorical if we're using this as a real place, but one that paints a bit of a dark, desolate 'city').  There was also what was called The Yellow Sign, which was a symbol not of any human script that was supposed to originate from the same place as Carcosa (maybe the swirly symbol thing we've seen in both Dark Country & s1?).

Obviously Lovecraft was influenced by The King in Yellow (using the name in his work, Lake Carcosa), as were other writers.  I suspect the original True Detective writer/co-creator Nic Pizzolatto were influenced by both The Yellow King as well as Lovecraft, with the fairly heavy 'cosmic indifference' themes.

Now, do I really believe this theory?  I'm not so sure.  The first seasons of True Detective, though hinting at 'cosmic horror' stuff stayed mainly firmly grounded in reality: focusing on how _man_ is evil and more than enough to deal with w/out having to delve into cosmic stuff.  That being said, we've had unexplained "weirdness" now in nearly every episode (maybe every episode; I haven't thoroughly deep-dived into that thought): from mysterious polar bears coming face-to-face w/our main Detectives, to people wandering the arctic cold w/out sweaters or coats (or completely nude), to the corpscicle of nude male researchers with bloody ears & scratched-out eyes (and terrified looks on their dead faces), to mysterious naked women moving around icy water, to the creepy Otis guy who is proclaiming that "we're all in the Night Country now."
Otis himself is a bit of a mystery, being introduced at the beginning of the episode as a German who in the late 1990's had his eardrums ruptured and corneas burnt - similar to what happened to the one scientist from the research base who survived...albeit before coming out of a seizure before calmly telling detective Navarro that her dead mom says hi.

So much to unpack with this series, with 2 episodes left.  Is Ennis Carcosa or is northern arctic Alaska just a weird place in and of itself?  Are these mystical creepy things actually happening, or in the minds of Ennis's inhabitants who have all led hard lives?  Hopefully we'll find out answers to at least SOME of these questions (like, WTF happened to the researches for starters; and hopefully what happened to Annie K).  Heck, what is the 'Night Country:' some kind of legit mystical thing, some kind of mental issue up in Ennis that people are afflicted with that time of year (w/maybe 'Light Country' occurring the opposite time of year, when it's presumably sunny out 24/7 for a month)?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:39:29 PM by perc2100 »

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 02:57:42 PM »
Wow!! That's quite the theory. Anyway, back here on Earth episode 5 will premiere early on Feb.9 Fri. Don't want to compete with the Super Bowl: drinking25:

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 11:22:46 PM »
Ummm…actually…as someone who has lived in Alaska since 1995 I can totally vouch for the dark winters and endless frickin’ sunlight in the summer. Right now we’re just starting to see daylight in the late afternoon and I don’t see the sunrise yet cuz I have to be at work at 8am and it is still night. Many people get real cranky this time of year especially recently when it was below zero for a couple weeks and I live in Anchorage - the big city  ;)  Below zero is like stepping outside for your day & the cold literally takes your breath away & you immediately cough. When it warmed up to the 20’s everyone started smiling again.
Summers are brutal in a whole different way. We get up to 19 hours of daylight then a few dusky hours of night and then the sun is back up. Dinner time is completely forgotten when the sun is streaming in the windows and you feel like it’s so bright it must be about 6pm haha nope. The summer is incredibly gorgeous and lush but I look forward to rainy days.
Thanks for indulging me, that comment just caught me. No presumably about it.

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the True Detective series. I already have this show queued up in my watch list.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 11:50:00 AM »
Ummm…actually…as someone who has lived in Alaska since 1995 I can totally vouch for the dark winters and endless frickin’ sunlight in the summer. Right now we’re just starting to see daylight in the late afternoon and I don’t see the sunrise yet cuz I have to be at work at 8am and it is still night. Many people get real cranky this time of year especially recently when it was below zero for a couple weeks and I live in Anchorage - the big city  ;)  Below zero is like stepping outside for your day & the cold literally takes your breath away & you immediately cough. When it warmed up to the 20’s everyone started smiling again.
Summers are brutal in a whole different way. We get up to 19 hours of daylight then a few dusky hours of night and then the sun is back up. Dinner time is completely forgotten when the sun is streaming in the windows and you feel like it’s so bright it must be about 6pm haha nope. The summer is incredibly gorgeous and lush but I look forward to rainy days.
Thanks for indulging me, that comment just caught me. No presumably about it.
Thanks for this perspective; I've seen a lot of the US but I've not made it up to Alaska yet.  I'm fascinated to learn that even in a big city you still deal with the weird daylight/nighttime lengths; IDK why that's a shock, as I logically know city or not it's the coordinates not the population, but I always think of those environments in small towns likely because of my own dopey pop-culture reference (see 30 DAYS OR NIGHT, both versions of INSOMNIA though I know only one takes place in Alaska, True Detective s4, etc.).  I kind of wish more of those stories focused more on the mentality it takes to just make it through that type of environment, though I guess if you live up there long enough you just get used to it (which is why I presume these types of stories are always set in small towns in the middle of nowhere, not only for dramatic effect but to obviously symbolize the mental isolation that long stretches of sunlight or darkness would have on those unfamiliar with those conditions).

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:03 PM »
Something I look forward to every year at SDCC is seeing the stars at night - we don’t see stars that time of year because it doesn’t get dark enough. July 4th is especially infuriating since people are lighting fireworks but it’s too bright out to see them, just makes a bunch of noise.