Author Topic: Oscars 2024  (Read 1216 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
Re: Oscars 2024
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 01:25:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Hope Mom feels better soon!  Paxlovid!!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4538
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 04:17:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Hope Mom feels better soon!  Paxlovid!!

She is on it and starting to feel better.  Though she does not love that metal taste it gives you. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:57:59 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 08:20:56 PM »
Came across this nominated short, thought I would share. 

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 08:23:27 PM »
And another, nice to see some going up

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 08:44:39 PM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 08:46:31 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1757
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2024, 11:16:47 AM »

I'm obviously going to be biased about this one: I'm a HS music teacher, in Southern CA no less.  Our program is in a district that is better funded than many, but we still have PLENTY of students who rely on us to provide them with working instruments for them to borrow and use throughout their HS careers.  My school has been open now over 60 years, and we still check instruments out that are 50 years old or more to students!  I know some instrument repair things, and have been able to help students at times, but generally we rely on local music stores to repair all of our band & orchestra instruments; some instruments were purchased by the district, and therefor the district pays to repair (or eventually replace), and sometimes the instruments were paid for by parent donations & parent donations are required to pay for repairs. 

This film is about the Los Angeles Unified School District (LA USD) instrument repair shop, were techs are there to ensure that students of the district (2nd largest in the country with just under 400k students enrolled last year) have playable music instruments for their classes.  As you'd expect the techs work in a fairly dark & dingy workshop, and I can attest that they almost certainly do miracle work (one tech talks about all of the 'stuff' she's collected that she's fished out of various instruments: crayons, pencils, toys, etc) in order to bring students the joys of making music in class.  It's definitely an "unsung heroes" type of job.  It's easy to credit teachers teaching in the classroom, parents supporting their kids' pursuits, school Administrators supportings performing arts programs: and ALL of those should be credited!  But these folks that keep the instruments well-maintained so all of those other folks can do their role are awesome, and this is a nice documentary short about a few of them that I _HIGHLY_ recommend!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 07:37:28 PM »
How is everyone doing, I am at 74% watched.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2024, 11:43:05 AM »

77%  :(
(I've oddly missed some big movies, like the latest MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and I still haven't seen AMERICAN FICTION yet for whatever reason (reason = time and money)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 01:26:32 PM »

Oscar Shorts are in theatres starting Friday.  I'll get my numbers up soon.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »

Oscar Shorts are in theatres starting Friday.  I'll get my numbers up soon.

And as predicted at a horrible time.  Mine is 5:10pm on Friday, I get off work at 5:00pm.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 05:11:17 PM »
77%  :(
(I've oddly missed some big movies, like the latest MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and I still haven't seen AMERICAN FICTION yet for whatever reason (reason = time and money)

I liked American Fiction, my big one is Zone of Interest.  I need it to hold in theaters until next weekend.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »
 :smilie_party_swinging: 89% :smilie_party_swinging:

:47: :47: :47: :47: :47: :47: :47: :47: :47: :47:

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2024, 07:33:41 PM »
I'm at 50% :smilie_confused_dontknow: I might get a couple more but not real impressed with any except "Oppenheimer". No question, the best movie of last year was "Godzilla: minus one" .
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:15:03 AM by Old Man Grey »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 10:12:11 AM »
Now that most of the guilds have given out their Awards, I think several Oscars are pretty wrapped-up:
* OPPENHEIMER is going to win quite a bit
- Best Picture
- Best Director for Nolan - having won the DGA, it's incredibly rare for the Director's Guild winner to not with the Oscar
- Best Supporting Actor for Robert Downey Jr - he's won just about everything he's been nominated for, from SAG to BAFTA and many others: very deserving, and everyone knows he'll give an entertaining speech at the podium
- Best Actor for Cilian Murphy - we'll get one more 'Oppenhomie' shout-out, I think, to an actor that has ALWAYS seemingly been great in everything he's in
- Best Editing - this isn't necessarily a lock, but I think it's a very high probable

* Best Supporting Actress is absolutely going to go to Da’Vine Joy Randolph for her incredible performance in THE HOLDOVERS.  I think if someone wants to do the 'math' she might have won more awards for this performance than everyone, considering all of the regional critic awards (that often like to go against the grain to recognize non-mainstream heralded performances or films).  This is THE #1 lock of the Oscars, and if you have an Oscar watching party where everyone competes to see who guesses the best, don't get cute and go against her.  This is absolutely a done deal.

* Best International Feature - ZONE OF INTEREST.  This is also nominated for Best Picture, is highly acclaimed, and a real good film.  This is an easy vote for Academy members to 'spread the love' for a Best Picture-worthy film

* Best Original Score - Ludwig Göransson for OPPENHEIMER has won several awards so far, and while I adore Robbie Robertson's score for KILLERS OF A FLOWER MOON (and I would LOVE for him to win posthumously) it's undeniable that the OPPENHEIMER score is incredible.  I really like Ludwig Göransson's work and w/Nolan's collaboration I legit think he's reached new heights and will win another Oscar (after his first for BLACK PANTHER).

* Best Original Song - "What Was I Made For" by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell is a GREAT song from BARBIE, and while I adore "I'm Just Ken" (and CAN'T WAIT to see Ryan Gossling perform this live at the Oscars), not only is the Billie Eilish song beautiful and poignant and the type of "serious" song the Academy tends to like to award vs less serious songs (such as the brilliant 'Blame Canada' not getting the Oscar), it's been winning all the pertinent awards throughout the season.

* Achievement in Visual Effects - CREATOR, a film that has legit pushed the envelope as far as economic filmmaking, the $80m budgeted original sci-fi film that looks like it cost $200m will likely get recognized for its innovation.

* Up For Grabs
- Best Actress - Lilly Gladstone from KILERS OF A FLOWER MOON won the SAG, which would lead me to put my money on her winning the Oscar, but it's gonna be close between her and Emma Stone's turn in POOR THINGS.  The performances are really two sides of an acting coin, with Gladstone being a strong and stoic, subtle type while Stone's is a much showier all-out frantic performance.  Both are INCREDIBLE and 100% worthy of an Oscar.  I personally liked Gladstone's performance a hair better and I really want her to win; I think her SAG speech was perfect for her, being not-too-preachy to turn off voters while focusing on unity and togetherness.  We all remember seeing Ke Huy Quan's incredibly adorable & jovial SAG win speech last year, when I knew there was no doubt he'd win the Oscar after being so endearing at the podium; I think Goldstone struck a similar tone and will eek out a very close win, but Stone could also pull it off (Stone being THE biggest cheerleader for Gladstone immediately after the SAG announcement she won was such a beautiful thing to see - which _could_ sway some voters her way)

- Best Adapted Screenplay - over the summer this felt like an easy win for OPPENHEIMER, checking all the boxes of high-profile biopic from a Pulitzer-winning biography (American Prometheus is a great read, by the way) that made a tone of money and the box office that everyone seemed to love.  Such a sure thing, in fact, that the BARBIE producers & studio (WB Discovery) campaigned hard to go the Best Original Screenplay route, even though there are well more than a dozen Barbie films that precede BARBIE.  Now, though, AMERICAN FICTION has picked up several awards, and it's plausible votes will maybe also throw votes BARBIE's way in order to award an incredibly original film

- Achievement in Production Design - what a shoot-out between BARBIE & POOR THINGS!  Will The Academy reward the fun toy-centric look of BARBIE, or the more serious, period look of POOR THINGS.  In July I thought this would be an easy win for BARBIE, but POOR THINGS is incredible in a very different way this one is a toss-up (I'd lean towards POOR THINGS, if I was still doing the Oscar pool)

- Best Animated Feature - my gut tells me ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE, one of THE best films of 2023, animated or otherwise.  It somehow TOPS the first film, IMO, but everyone knowing there is a sequel coming soon voters may hold off and instead reward THE BOY AND THE HERON by the impeccable Japanese master Hayao Miyazaki.  While THE BOY AND THE HERON won the Golden Globe, it lost the Annie Awards (LA branch of International Animated Film Association) Best Feature to SPIDER-VERSE.  It has won a slew of major critics awards, but those don't factor a ton into Oscars since critics don't vote.  Miyazaki has only won one Best Animated Feature Oscar, for SPIRITED AWAY, in a pretty weak year for animation (the film, like most Miyazaki films, is incredible and I'm in no way diminishing the win, merely pointing out the blunt fact that The Academy doesn't often like non-English Animated Features).  If you're looking to play it safe, I'd go with SPIDER-VERSE, but if you want to take a chance on a plausible spoiler, THE BOY AND THE HERON could pull of a bit of an upset.

I may dig into some of the other Oscar categories before March 10: I'm realizing I may be a bit of a movie autistic  ;)