Author Topic: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?  (Read 8450 times)

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
Re: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
The twitter thing from NYCC was last year... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

RFID isn't as expensive as it used to be, you can do a one site implementation for passive tags (not battery activated) for about $250,000.  It's still a good chunk of change.  As old as that technology is, though, there are probably companies that rent the readers for minimal amounts of money in comparison.  I can't imaging buying a reader system to use a few times a year... it would be out of date almost immediately.  Tags wouldn't even cost that much if bought in quantities that SDCC will be using them.

At Lollapalooza, they did wrist bands as well, but they were not as substantial, so there was a whole thing about not bending them (bending an RFID tag will render it completely useless*), etc. and to keep traffic flowing through gates you had to only wear them on your right wrist.  They were less substantial than those Coachella ones.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

*(I had a project once where we were trying to implement a RFID system for a client on pre-filled syringes.  What a nightmare.  They DO. NOT. BEND. people!)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i've spoken to a few people abt that incident.
first, there was an opt out apparently some folks didn't read the TOS... <which i agree is pretty crappy but there was a way out>
secondly, apparently there was some third party vendor who did the unauthorized posting.  this bit is a little more sketchy because iirc, that was told to me in a conversation so i can't quote it

To my mind, it being a third party is actually worse - it means NYCC either sold access to the twitter accounts, or at the very least gave it away to companies they clearly weren't vetting properly, which is kind of terrifying from a privacy standpoint.

And yeah, I know it was in the TOS, but very few people read those, and NYCC had to be counting on that. I'm not saying they weren't technically allowed, but I do consider it acting in bad faith, and their apology after the fact was lukewarm at best.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
I'm cool with it if it doesn't raise the priceof badges by much
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »
RFID chips implemented in the way that NYCC did it last year, with RFID-scanning tablets and "tapping in and out" of the convention center, is kind of the idea that we've been discussing, but good point for bringing that up. 

I think they are aware of it, but they might not have necessarily thought about using this technology in the context of what I mentioned in the above statement.  Truth be told, I'd like to see CCI try it out one of these years and find if works for them as well as it did with NYCC at 2013.

I'm a fan of scanning in and out of the convention center. Something really has to give here.

Also, retina scans.

Offline Jumping Jehosaphat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
I went to NYCC with the RFID chip in the badge, and it made zero difference for me. The horrible part at first was that you had to scan out (of you would not be able to scan in the next day). This lead to huge lines to get out and then the inconvenience of resetting your badge if you hadn't swiped out. Apparently they removed this feature after the first night or two, because I didn't have to swipe out the last few days. Then you only had to swipe in. However, this would probably require more security at the doors for scanning, especially since there are so many entrances.

I would miss badges. They are a much more permanent reminder for conventions than bracelets. I would hope they would not get rid of them. NYCC still used badges with the RFID. Though to be fair, NYCC's badges were nicer than the generic SDCC ones. I would love if SDCC could afford cooler badges.

Offline ahbbb

• Room 6BCF
    • autograph hounds blah blah blog
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »

This is all hypothetical but demand for SDCC isn't going anywhere.  I honestly think the price could double and it would sell out, though I hope not.  NYCC did it, so could Comic Con.  If it cost $5 or $10 to ship, I'd pay it in a heartbeat. 

Back to X-Files, the movie.
The cost the badge is the cheapest thing about SDCC.
When they triple or quadruple the price, then I think it affects the crowd.
It will still sell out but it the crowd will be older and less whole families going.
Look at the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Brave Man Likes to Feel the Weather on his Face
A Wise Man Knows When to Get Out of the Rain

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »
I didn't think the Super Bowl was expensive. I always thought the only way to go was to do something like win a contest or know someone in the NFL.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews