Author Topic: Hall H advice and tips  (Read 50233 times)

Offline litex2x

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
Re: Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
With no Disney or HBO this year? What are the expectations for Hall H lines?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7494
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With no Disney or HBO this year? What are the expectations for Hall H lines?

Uncertain. So far, there don't seem to be any 'massive draw' panels like Game of Thrones or Marvel movies. So we're not entirely sure what days will be the popular days. So far, Sunday and Thursday are actually looking to be big, while traditionally those were 'walk-in' days.

It's going to be a strange year in Hall H, that's for sure. Hopefully we'll know a little more when the programming schedule is released.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #287 on: Today at 10:47:04 PM »

Offline debster

• Temp
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 339
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
From today’s Toucan Tip:

The line for Hall H starts outside the building in Plaza Park. Look for the sign that reads “Hall H line begins here.”

The Toucan Tracker wristband policy returns again this year. Wristbands will be given out for the first panel of each day in Hall H. (Look for a Toucan Tip next Monday that fully explains the wristbands.)

I guess we will find out next Monday if anything is changing with respect to getting wristbands. Saying the policy is “returning” might mean nothing will change from last year.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
I guess we will find out next Monday if anything is changing with respect to getting wristbands. Saying the policy is “returning” might mean nothing will change from last year.

Or that any changes are on the distribution and security side, rather than on the 'instructions to attendees' side.

Offline tsnyder

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 187
« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
Last year they added in the wrinkle of scanning badges while handing out wristbands.  On Wednesday night they had problems getting the machines to work which delayed the start by an hour, pain with that is it directly cut into PN time.  I didn't see any other issues or problems with the scanning on Thur or Fri night and seemed to go pretty smooth and not really add any time to the process.

They did actually use the RFID and link your badge to Hall H as you couldn't get into Hall H in the morning if your badge hadn't been scanned which I though was great.  Only hiccup was in the past I had been able to trade out with a friend using the bathroom pass and allow them to see panels I didn't care about (like Preacher & Twin Peaks in 17) then swap back in for the stuff I wanted after.  Last year that didn't work as even with a bathroom pass if their badge hadn't been scanned into Hall H previously in the day they couldn't get in with a bathroom pass.  (Note don't buy bathroom passes from anyone). I think that is another great addition even though it altered some of my plans.

Offline puppy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
Anyone know what time they start giving out wristbands for the next day?  My daughter and I will be saving each other's spots in line but I don't want one of us to not be there when they start doling them out.  What time do we both absolutely have to be in line to not miss out?

Online SamTurtledove

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1597
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
Anyone know what time they start giving out wristbands for the next day?  My daughter and I will be saving each other's spots in line but I don't want one of us to not be there when they start doling them out.  What time do we both absolutely have to be in line to not miss out?

Wristband Distribution start times are located in the quick guide!  Also the positions in line may change due to line condensing as they approach

Offline puppy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »

Wristband Distribution start times are located in the quick guide!  Also the positions in line may change due to line condensing as they approach

I am hearing that the posted times are totally inaccurate and cannot be relied on. What are real Time postings from those who went yesterday? What were the start and end times?

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 436
Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
Yesterday (Friday) was an absolute clusterduck of a mess getting wristbands for Saturday. So blinky blinks started at 8:45pm, pretty much on schedule (rant on this later). But then somehow the line near the front completely blew up into this huge mob. We’re not talking just people whose space was being held by others, but a mass of line cutters as well.

They were at wristband B after maybe only 100 yards, no joke. They somehow went through 1200+ wristbands in that space. Only after that did they bring in extra security in an attempt to police the line. There was this place where the line curved around, and it was a mosh pit of people.

And before you say it, I get it, each person is allowed to save space for five people total, but this was weellll beyond that. The line grew at least 10x up at the front.

After that line curve, things were much better controlled. My line group was in the zig zag portion, before the basketball courts, but we felt hopeless, because the line still had to go around outer edge of island to get to us. They were already at C by the time they reached the initial part of that edge. And they were at D when they hit the zig zag. The blinky blinks were already telling us they may not reach us. We were in the toughest spot. Not far enough to give up, but close enough to cling to that tiny bit of hope, only to possibly be crushed if they fall short of us.

And... we got one of the last wristbands! Like, they literally ran out maybe 20-30 people after us. They ran out around 11:45pm, so three hours after it all started. We just felt so much relief. But also anger at all the line cutters and the utter lack of policing.

And that brings me to an issue I’ve had with this whole setup. Why the heck do they start handing out wristbands so late, especially after dark when it’s much harder to keep track of your neighbors and notice line cutters? Other days, they start earlier when there’s still light, but not on the one day where there are the most people. It makes absolute zero sense.

There’s so much anger, angst, and depression on Twitter, and I don’t blame anyone for it. It was so poorly handled. In fact, I’ve read there was even a huge mess for the overnight campers, who kept being moved well into the night.

For me, even though I got a wristband, I doubt I’ll ever do this again. I usually skip this Hall H chaos, but I really wanted to see Star Trek (I’ll probably skip Marvel since I don’t want to spend the entire day at Hall H).

Offline Kfrye

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
Don't they start handing out next day wristbands after the programming for the current day is completed? That was 8pm on Friday, so 8:45 is reasonable in that context. But I agree it's hard to police others in the dark, especially when people can sneak in on two sides of the line, like they could this year.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
This is my summary of the line situation at SDCC this year, with special attention to the Hall H lines.

Offline Roo_bear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »
Was that a typo in the article? It states that all “a” wristbands were given out in the first 30 feet. I was further back than that and still received one. Yes, the line surge was ridiculous, but I was told anecdotally that “a”s ended near Joe’s Crab Shack.
Sdcc 2016,2017, 2019.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2019, 07:27:46 AM »
Was that a typo in the article? It states that all “a” wristbands were given out in the first 30 feet. I was further back than that and still received one. Yes, the line surge was ridiculous, but I was told anecdotally that “a”s ended near Joe’s Crab Shack.

A number of people I spoke with said that it was within 30 feet. From your experience, how far back was it before A wristbands ran out?

Offline Roo_bear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
I went back and looked at the map. The green dot is about where the line started. The yellow is about where I received my wristband, and the red being where I believe the a’s ran out.The average parking spot is 8 feet wide, so looking across from my yellow dot in the photo, you can see that I was about 12 spots back from the green dot, or about 100 feet.There were 2 groups in front of us whose numbers grew tremendously when the time approached, and the same happened behind us. We had to be diligent to make sure no one cut into ours. 55 was our number, and we had photos every 2 hours, not only to show other members of the group where we were, but to prove we had followed the rules as closely as possible all day.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:49:17 AM by Roo_bear »
Sdcc 2016,2017, 2019.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
I went back and looked at the map. The green dot is about where the line started. The yellow is about where I received my wristband, and the red being where I believe the a’s ran out.The average parking spot is 8 feet wide, so looking across from my yellow dot in the photo, you can see that I was about 12 spots back from the green dot, or about 100 feet.There were 2 groups in front of us whose numbers grew tremendously when the time approached, and the same happened behind us. We had to be diligent to make sure no one cut into ours. 55 was our number, and we had photos every 2 hours, not only to show other members of the group where we were, but to prove we had followed the rules as closely as possible all day.

Thank you for the information! It is much appreciated!