Author Topic: Hall H advice and tips  (Read 50232 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 436
Re: Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #300 on: July 25, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went back and looked at the map. The green dot is about where the line started. The yellow is about where I received my wristband, and the red being where I believe the a’s ran out.The average parking spot is 8 feet wide, so looking across from my yellow dot in the photo, you can see that I was about 12 spots back from the green dot, or about 100 feet.There were 2 groups in front of us whose numbers grew tremendously when the time approached, and the same happened behind us. We had to be diligent to make sure no one cut into ours. 55 was our number, and we had photos every 2 hours, not only to show other members of the group where we were, but to prove we had followed the rules as closely as possible all day.

That map really puts in perspective how much line cutting there was and how crowded that area became. There was another area, starting in the top left of that picture, that was absolutely jampacked with people. By the time they got to the end of the line on that side of the road (ie, line break), they were already on C's. And then C's lasted until it circled the entire pier to the start of the zigzag by Joe's Crab Shack. And then D's ran out right at the end of the zig zag.

In contrast, the line for Sunday ran out of B's at the end of the basketball court (which is after the zigzag). Same line setup, less people.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7494
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
It's clear that the security around the wristbanding line on Saturday was poor and that they did nothing about the people who rushed the line other than to give them wristbands. Hopefully CCI can increase security in future years to only give wristbands to legitimate line-waiters.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #302 on: Today at 10:40:49 PM »

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 570
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
This is my summary of the line situation at SDCC this year, with special attention to the Hall H lines.

I didn't do Hall H at all this year, but that's an interesting read.  I'm not sure that the Indigo Ballroom issue was directly caused by Hall H reductions.  It seemed to me--from looking at the "popular" ranking on MySched--that some things were put into Indigo that should have been in either Hall H or Ballroom 20.  "The Good Place", for instance, was one of the ten most popular panels on MySched, putting it above many things that were in the larger rooms.

But, I don't know how SDCC can do a better job at assigning rooms.  Sometimes it's hard to predict interest.  Maybe they should throw some panel names out about a month before the con and do a "popularity" survey.

I think that the ultimate solution to Hall H may be what they did with the exclusives--lotteries.  If you combine a lottery system and splitting each day into two sessions where you clear the room in the middle of the day, you would go a long way toward solving the line issues.   So, when you enter the lottery, you choose Friday First Half vs. Friday Second Half.  It might actually be better for some people because if they only are interested in the last panel (e.g. Game of Thrones), they don't have to spend the whole day watching panels they aren't interested in.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 1588
« Reply #303 on: July 25, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »
They are SO BAD at loading Hall H though. Or at least it seemed even worse than usual this year. I'd hate to see them clear it, if only because it would waste so much potential panel time.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 570
« Reply #304 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »
They are SO BAD at loading Hall H though. Or at least it seemed even worse than usual this year. I'd hate to see them clear it, if only because it would waste so much potential panel time.

That's why I said just one clearance in the middle of the day.  You'd probably lose just one panel...and maybe you can go later into the evening to make up for it.

It doesn't matter.  They'll probably never do it.

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
I went back and looked at the map. The green dot is about where the line started. The yellow is about where I received my wristband, and the red being where I believe the a’s ran out.The average parking spot is 8 feet wide, so looking across from my yellow dot in the photo, you can see that I was about 12 spots back from the green dot, or about 100 feet.There were 2 groups in front of us whose numbers grew tremendously when the time approached, and the same happened behind us. We had to be diligent to make sure no one cut into ours. 55 was our number, and we had photos every 2 hours, not only to show other members of the group where we were, but to prove we had followed the rules as closely as possible all day.

My group was right at the point when they ran out of "A"s (in fact, half of us got "A"s and half got "B"s), and I can confirm that the location on your map where the "A"s ran out is pretty accurate.

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »
I didn't do Hall H at all this year, but that's an interesting read.  I'm not sure that the Indigo Ballroom issue was directly caused by Hall H reductions.  It seemed to me--from looking at the "popular" ranking on MySched--that some things were put into Indigo that should have been in either Hall H or Ballroom 20.  "The Good Place", for instance, was one of the ten most popular panels on MySched, putting it above many things that were in the larger rooms.

But, I don't know how SDCC can do a better job at assigning rooms.  Sometimes it's hard to predict interest.  Maybe they should throw some panel names out about a month before the con and do a "popularity" survey.

I think that the ultimate solution to Hall H may be what they did with the exclusives--lotteries.  If you combine a lottery system and splitting each day into two sessions where you clear the room in the middle of the day, you would go a long way toward solving the line issues.   So, when you enter the lottery, you choose Friday First Half vs. Friday Second Half.  It might actually be better for some people because if they only are interested in the last panel (e.g. Game of Thrones), they don't have to spend the whole day watching panels they aren't interested in.

I may be wrong about this, but I've heard that for many of the movie/television panels, the studios play a big part in determining the room, and sometimes they prefer a smaller room to ensure long lines and no empty seats. They'd rather have a room that seats 2000 people be filled than have a room that seats 4000 people have 700 empty seats. And long lines suggest massive popularity, which is a bonus for the studios.

Alas, what's good for the studios isn't always so good for us fans.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 180
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2019, 12:47:55 AM »
I heard the same about studios deciding which rooms they want for their panels too. But Saturday is a unique day for panels in itself. For some reason it seems like the studios want to hold their most popular panels on Saturday and so there's actual competition for rooms for panels. Ballroom 20 has been the room for Fox Animation block (Simpsons, American Dad and Family Guy) and the CW DC shows for several years now to a point where there's almost no room for other shows to hold panels except maybe the 10am or 11am slots. I would have loved to see The Good Place in B20 myself but either NBC didn't want to or their scheduled panel time couldn't fit the limited time slots left in B20. Seeing how the Fox Animation shows will never be canceled nor will CW stop having DC shows, B20's Saturday schedule will be set for many years now and we'll probably see the more interesting or popular shows in Indigo from now on too... I will say I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to squeeze The Orville between the Fox Animation show block and the CW DC show block but that's probably due to Seth MacFarlane's involvement in that show and Family Guy.

Offline tsnyder

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 187
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »
I'm sure they had reasons but I'm really hoping they don't keep the NDL out on the marina again this year.  Ground was uneven, was further walk, and most importantly they couldn't control the line during wristband distribution.  Maybe just me but I really preferred on the concrete along the waterfront.  I am a big fan of the change to NDL only starting each morning, wish they had given us heads up prior to but either way I'm I really liked that decision.

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2020, 08:14:51 AM »
I'm sure they had reasons but I'm really hoping they don't keep the NDL out on the marina again this year.  Ground was uneven, was further walk, and most importantly they couldn't control the line during wristband distribution.  Maybe just me but I really preferred on the concrete along the waterfront.  I am a big fan of the change to NDL only starting each morning, wish they had given us heads up prior to but either way I'm I really liked that decision.

Yeah, the bumpy ground with all those exposed, gnarly tree roots was horribly uncomfortable, and the wristband distribution there (at least on Friday night) was pretty awful! I preferred the concrete, too. I wonder if part of the reason they moved it was so there would be clearer, easier access for people (including celebs) to get onto the yachts for the various parties.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 749
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2020, 12:06:45 PM »
I agree, though I'd like to think if they continue to use the marina (which may be slightly complicated due to the construction work and upgrade of the performing arts stage going in right now; I'm not sure how, if at all, that may impact the marina area nearby) this year they'll be significantly more organized this year.  I vaguely remember when they formalized the NDL procedure by the bay previously, it was a bit of a mess Year 1 and Year 2 was significantly better.  I think last year's situation was MUCH better for SDCCI overall.  It made wandering around the bay and going to off-site stuff a lot better without the throngs of people crammed on the ocean side of the sidewalk & I suspect it made the Hilton Bayfront Ballroom (can't think of it at this moment) line much better.  It was worse for those of us in the Hall H line, for sure, but I bet it was better overall.  I look forward to the situation being improved for 2020: CCI does a great job, IMO, of analyzing situations and improving them, even if said improvements take years to smooth themselves out.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 265
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
Was there any days this year that you couldn't get into Hall H without camping?  Good seating aside, was there any days that you wouldn't at least get in if you arrived say at 5am?

Offline IanCar

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2020, 01:05:10 PM »
Was there any days this year that you couldn't get into Hall H without camping?  Good seating aside, was there any days that you wouldn't at least get in if you arrived say at 5am?

I believe Saturday Hall H especially for the MCU panel.

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »
I agree, though I'd like to think if they continue to use the marina (which may be slightly complicated due to the construction work and upgrade of the performing arts stage going in right now; I'm not sure how, if at all, that may impact the marina area nearby) this year they'll be significantly more organized this year.  I vaguely remember when they formalized the NDL procedure by the bay previously, it was a bit of a mess Year 1 and Year 2 was significantly better.  I think last year's situation was MUCH better for SDCCI overall.  It made wandering around the bay and going to off-site stuff a lot better without the throngs of people crammed on the ocean side of the sidewalk & I suspect it made the Hilton Bayfront Ballroom (can't think of it at this moment) line much better.  It was worse for those of us in the Hall H line, for sure, but I bet it was better overall.  I look forward to the situation being improved for 2020: CCI does a great job, IMO, of analyzing situations and improving them, even if said improvements take years to smooth themselves out.
I have to agree. CCI rarely has the exact same problem two years in a row.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 749
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
I think Saturday last year; maybe Friday, depending on the panel