Author Topic: Hall H advice and tips  (Read 48339 times)

Online rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
Re: Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2020, 06:18:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does NYCC lottery all their panels or just the big ones?
SDCC Unofficial Blog does do such a great job with their pre-Con coverage.

NYCC does a lottery for half the seats at panels in the main stage and Hammerstein and MSG. You can still get in by lining up. 

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 228
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »
NYCC does a lottery for half the seats at panels in the main stage and Hammerstein and MSG. You can still get in by lining up.

I didn't know that.  Do they publicize that information?
Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #332 on: Today at 03:15:36 AM »

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2020, 04:28:21 AM »

Yes. They send out a bunch of emails and tweets to try to get everyone to enter the lottery. They also have one for autograph sessions and exclusives like LEGO and the Funko booth. I’ve rarely won the lottery at NYCC, but I’ve never had an issue getting into a panel that I wanted to see.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #333 on: Today at 03:15:36 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
Yes. They send out a bunch of emails and tweets to try to get everyone to enter the lottery. They also have one for autograph sessions and exclusives like LEGO and the Funko booth. I’ve rarely won the lottery at NYCC, but I’ve never had an issue getting into a panel that I wanted to see.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I meant do they advertise that the lottery is for half the seats.  I've never seen that statement, but then again I'm not as diligent about reading notifications from NYCC.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
Sorry I should have been more clear.

I meant do they advertise that the lottery is for half the seats.  I've never seen that statement, but then again I'm not as diligent about reading notifications from NYCC.

I don’t recall whether they put a number on what gets reserved through the lottery. They mix it up every year though, I believe last year was the first year they did lotteries for Hammerstein and Madison Square Garden. They only clear the main stage room though so you can camp out all day at Hammerstein and Madison Square Garden if you want to.

They always stress that even if you don’t win the lottery, there are still seats available if you are willing to wait in line (or get your badge tapped in the morning for the main stage panels at the convention center). I don’t think they’ve ever done a lottery for a panel that was for all the seats.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:08:39 AM by debster »

Online rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »

The way the main stage worked was similar to CCI does Hall H.  People got their badges swiped the morning of to get yourself entry for later in the day.  This year and in 2018, the first year they had the lottery, they still were doing the badge swiping in the morning for the main stage panels.  I'm not sure how it worked for Hammerstein but for Main Stage, I have never had a problem getting in if I didn't win the lottery. 

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
 At first I didn't care for the lottery idea, but having some of the seats be secured via lottery sounds better to me now. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Hall H
  • Liked: 483
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
I never liked the lotteries and I still don't.  The people that put in the most effort should be the ones that get the prize.  That's not me by the way.

The problems I see it is line cutting and people holding places for other people.  Those are the issues that need to be addressed.  I think the only people opposed to fighting line cutting are the line cutters.  But I see one person holding spots for 4 or even 6 other people to be just as bad.  Line cutting by any other name.  If you are going to stand in line, then stand in line.

There is a technological solution to all this.  No amount of badge scanning will solve it since one person can scan 6 other people's badges.  Facial recognition has come of age.  No one even explicitly needs to be scanned while in line.  They can just have cameras up along the line and it'll keep track of who has been in line and for how long.  Set some threshold like you've been in line for 4 hours and you get in.  Otherwise you get turned away at the door.  That will kill line cutting.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »
If you actually had to stand in line, while not ideal, I would accept it as an ok form of filling up the Hall.  But as is, what 25% of the people going in the hall are actually in the line at any give time as you can hold a spot for 5 people and still be by the rules.  So the line system isn't rewarding those that want to put in the time, its rewarding those that have groups or in some cases....those that can pay some one to hold their spot.

I would try for way more panels if it was random like signings and big booths are, but as its not I don't want to sit through 5 other panels to wait for the one I want.  If I can walk into a panel I will...but again everyone cons differently.  Due to the way I con, I usually only check out 4-6 panels a year.

I do understand the logistics of clearing the hall would be hard, and may even need to wait for whatever expansion the convention center has next to make an exit on the other side of the building.  That being said every other convention I go to clears halls to some extent and I hope SDCC does at some point as well.

Not complaining...just sharing my point of view.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
I would try for way more panels if it was random like signings and big booths are, but as its not I don't want to sit through 5 other panels to wait for the one I want.  If I can walk into a panel I will...but again everyone cons differently.  Due to the way I con, I usually only check out 4-6 panels a year.

I've made a conscious decision to pretty much exclude Hall-H from my Con.   As a matter of fact, my first year (2015) I didn't know anything about it.  Still had an absolute blast!

Having said that, I think it really depends on if the big studios come to the Con.  From what I heard and experienced during 2018, the year Marvel didn't come, it was a lot easier to get into Hall-H.  I actually heard an attendee say it was so easy for him to get in, that he felt like he didn't earn it.   :) .   Keeping that in mind, I don't see CCI making any major changes to the process, when the demand for Hall-H may not be consistent.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
As an aside, last year I walked into the Game of Throne panel (it was already in session)...and got a fabulous swag bag.  I had not been in Hall H in a couple of years and just gave it a try.  Glad I did.  Shhh...I only watched the first half of the first season of GOT...you know...Drago  and all...:D

Offline Kfrye

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

There is a technological solution to all this.  No amount of badge scanning will solve it since one person can scan 6 other people's badges.  Facial recognition has come of age.  No one even explicitly needs to be scanned while in line.  They can just have cameras up along the line and it'll keep track of who has been in line and for how long.  Set some threshold like you've been in line for 4 hours and you get in.  Otherwise you get turned away at the door.  That will kill line cutting.

You are overestimating both the technology available and SDCC's ability and resources to implement it. They don't have a team of engineers to implement image recognition and it's not like you can buy a software package like that off the shelf. (There was a job listing for a software dev position for them last year. They expect you to double as an IT person during the con. No thank you!) And even if you did have something like that... What about all the people in costumes and crazy makeup? They would be screwed. How horrible would it be to wait all day and then be denied when the software didn't work for you?

The main problem with line cutting this year is that usually, there's a wall or fence in the back of the crowd. So it's so much harder for people to sneak under the ribbon. Last year, they put the ribbon on the water side with just a parking lot behind the people in line. And they didn't hand out the wristbands until it was totally dark. I was lucky enough to be with a group in the front, and we made sure that everyone with us belonged while we were waiting, but when the blinky lights came, it was total chaos and it was dark and I can't guarantee that no one sneaked in behind us to get an illicit wristband. I would have been much more comfortable with a barrier of some sort behind us. Investing in a temporary fence would help and be a heck of a lot cheaper than implementing image recognition software!

Of course, then there was the year with the Viking funeral, and I heard a bunch of people cut into the line there. It's always something. The system isn't great, but it can be navigated. It does encourage people working together in big groups, which can be a lot of fun just on their own if you have the right people. My group is half the reason why I love SDCC.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #342 on: Today at 03:15:36 AM »

Offline kmy

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »

It does encourage people working together in big groups, which can be a lot of fun just on their own if you have the right people. My group is half the reason why I love SDCC.

Absolutely. The satisfaction of holding the place at 4 a.m. while your new line friend who's dressed as Janet from The Good Place goes to pee and get street pretzels is something I couldn't quite articulate to an acquaintance last night.

Offline tsnyder

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »
Love to hear all the different opinions and input on Hall H.  Me personally I am NOT a fan of the lotteries, big believer of if you put in the work you get the reward.  Take the exclusives and signings, I put in for random stuff that I don't care that much about because I have the points to spend.  Lucky for fans I don't win any of them so I'm not taking a spot from someone who loves that fandom  :P   This will be my 7th year going and for the last 4 years I've been spending the majority of my con in Hall H.  For some that might seem like a waste or bad idea but for me that's the part of SDCC I love the most so thats where I dedicate most of my time.  I can be honest and say that wouldn't be possible at all without me working with a group so thats what I do to make it happen.  I know there are those that are against being able to hold spots and I can respect that. But without my group I couldn't have seen all the Hall H panels I've wanted to, same goes for couple times we've paired up to do EE line for Ballroom 20. Each year SDCC has made slight alterations to the Hall H process adding wristbands, RFID scanning, NDL procedures, etc and seems to constantly tweak to try and make it best experience for everyone.  Those changes have also gotten rid of a lot of cheaters.  I'm an obsessive rule follower so we strictly stay within SDCC guidelines for lining up.   I think one of the bigger issues is not the holding spots for 5 but groups that ignore those restrictions completely.   >:(  Another point to remember for those that don't like the NDL lineup and camping out for Hall H is if those thousands of people that are under the tents and in those lines weren't there they would be on the exhibit floor or in those small panels you like to just walk into.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I've made a conscious decision to pretty much exclude Hall-H from my Con.   As a matter of fact, my first year (2015) I didn't know anything about it.  Still had an absolute blast!

Having said that, I think it really depends on if the big studios come to the Con.  From what I heard and experienced during 2018, the year Marvel didn't come, it was a lot easier to get into Hall-H.  I actually heard an attendee say it was so easy for him to get in, that he felt like he didn't earn it.   :) .   Keeping that in mind, I don't see CCI making any major changes to the process, when the demand for Hall-H may not be consistent.
Yeah I'm similar.  Done one or two Hall H panels each of the last 3 years, but soley ones at the end of the day or sunday when I can walk in.  Have seen:
- Kevin Smith
- Doctor Who
- His Dark Materials
- Dirk Gently

3 of those being properties I really like, HDM just went in to check it out (still on the fence about the show).  I don't mind being in the back of the room, just happy to get in and sit down and rest for awhile.