Author Topic: Hall H advice and tips  (Read 50367 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 750
Re: Hall H advice and tips
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah I'm similar.  Done one or two Hall H panels each of the last 3 years, but soley ones at the end of the day or sunday when I can walk in.  Have seen:
- Kevin Smith
- Doctor Who
- His Dark Materials
- Dirk Gently

3 of those being properties I really like, HDM just went in to check it out (still on the fence about the show).  I don't mind being in the back of the room, just happy to get in and sit down and rest for awhile.
I love Hall H, and I've been going to big Hall H panels since Hall H first opened at Comic-Con.  BITD I would typically spend Thurs-Sat. in Hall H: before one had to camp out 24+ hours for a day.  Nowadays I typically pick one day that has the most bang for my 'buck' (i.e. time) and go for it with a line-up group.
But I think nowadays, with the web being what it is and studio marketing departments releasing the footage immediately anyways (with rare exceptions, like Marvel for the most part), I get why people make the decision to skip it.  I typically only go to panels to see the footage: I don't care about seeing stars on a stage, and most of the questions are fluff anyway (and covered ad nauseam online), so I'm all about seeing cool footage with a great crowd.  Studios didn't use to release any footage until much later, if ever.  Now Marvel seems to be the biggest hold out for releasing footage.  So for folks like me they could typically just skip Hall H, watch the footage later & read the coverage for all the best news, and spend their time elsewhere.

I'm a junkie, myself.  I've only missed one Marvel Studios panel in the history of the studio, and there are few things as fun as being a part of that crazy excitement/energy in Hall H immediately before + during a Marvel panel.  Same with WB when they bring the huge wrap-around screens (I missed 'em last year :( ).

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:01 AM »
For the sheer size of it, experiencing an exciting panel in Hall H, is, well...exciting. From my limited experience, I also liked keeping an eye out watching the staff try to keep seats filled, and bringing folk in efficiently to fill empties.  The staff is constantly on the move and their communication can be a lovely thing to see. There are some skilled folk working in there and I give them thumbs waaaay up!
It is 2020, so...where's my flyin' car??!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 04:12:23 PM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »
The real solution is to live stream the panels somehow, so folks not in the room can see everything (including the footage).  For the most part, few studios don't release their sizzle reel/trailer during or immediately following the panel anyway (Marvel still keeps their panel footage special: anyone else know of a studio that has panel-only footage?).  Studios have realized the best marketing strategy is to release the teaser right after the panel, so the footage isn't so "Top Secret" the way it used to be for the most part.  They could utilize, say, Petco Park (when there aren't a plethora of huge concerts in there like 2020  :-[ ) and stream the entire panel w/footage.  I suspect that would 1) make the lines significantly shorter for panels (maybe mostly non-existent as we'd be talking about maybe a couple thousand die-hards for Hall H).
Petco is obviously problematic, but if CCI utilized some sort of overflow room to show ALL of the panels (questions, footage, etc) I think a lot of line problems would be solved.  I suspect studios like the hype up the "waited in line for 30+ hours for our panel!" stuff so they probably wouldn't go for that anyway.  I think the solution isn't clearing rooms arbitrarily, or lotto or whatnot: it's accommodating everyone.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Yet, being in the same space, breathing the same air that has been electrified by a panel of my faves, or by some new announcement is incredible fun. Watching on a screen somewhere else cannot compare with that enjoyment!
It is 2020, so...where's my flyin' car??!!

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 231
« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
Love to hear all the different opinions and input on Hall H.  ....  :P   This will be my 7th year going and for the last 4 years I've been spending the majority of my con in Hall H.  For some that might seem like a waste or bad idea but for me that's the part of SDCC I love the most so thats where I dedicate most of my time.  .

You don't have to justify how you're going to spend your time at Comic Con.  IMO, the beauty of Comic Con, is that there is so much to see and do, that each of us can choose how to spend our time in a way that gives us the most enjoyment. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline kmy

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2020, 09:34:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Yet, being in the same space, breathing the same air that has been electrified by a panel of my faves, or by some new announcement is incredible fun. Watching on a screen somewhere else cannot compare with that enjoyment!

And see I'm the perfect audience for a simulcast, or even the playback they currently do later in the day.  I love the Hall H fanfare and the fun announcements and the casts always seem to be at their best, but I don't feel the need to be on site at the minute it happens. So I'm the perfect candidate for an alternate room and you can have my Hall H seat. As long as I see it within a few hours I'm cool. I do miss the swag but that's the breaks since it is the reward for camping.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 265
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2020, 05:50:32 AM »
And see I'm the perfect audience for a simulcast, or even the playback they currently do later in the day.  I love the Hall H fanfare and the fun announcements and the casts always seem to be at their best, but I don't feel the need to be on site at the minute it happens. So I'm the perfect candidate for an alternate room and you can have my Hall H seat. As long as I see it within a few hours I'm cool. I do miss the swag but that's the breaks since it is the reward for camping.
Agree there are a ton of panels I would watch if they were projected on a big inflatable screen outside somewhere.

Offline NuncleJoel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »
I have to agree.  New York has a reserved section they clear and everyone just leaves there and starts searching for a seat.  For packed panels, it makes it so that those waiting outside don't really get a chance.

Clearing the panels, in general, is a pain if your area isn't set up right.  I have noticed a lot of cons moving away from this practice.  The key to making it successful is having a separate entrance from the exit.  Hall H just isn't set up to do that.  Ballroom 20 could do it, but it would have an issue with people wanting to line up for individual panels.  They don't have room for 12 lines.  Sure they could say you can't line up until an hour before but policing that would be impossible and cause chaos.

Your hour suggestion would create a lot of “lines” that aren’t lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NuncleJoel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2020, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm actually in favor of not changing the process at all.  I attended the NYCC where they had a lottery for panels.  I didn't win for the panel I wanted to get into, but I got on line anyway, and got in.  Logistically, they have to have a large area for those people that are on line.

Planning your panel schedule is part of the experience, and of course hard decisions have to be made. 

I do love discovering new fandoms as a result of sitting thru panels before the panel I planned to attend.  Those experiences have enriched my entertainment viewing, and are some of the reasons I come back every year. 

I recommend the SDCC Unofficial Blog.  They do a review of the schedule before the Con, with an assessment of your chances of getting into a room.  I always tune in.

It also forces you to pick and choose.  Part of the fun is going to a panel that you don’t plan on attending.  These are usually my favorite panels of the con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 265
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2020, 06:51:07 AM »
Part of the fun is going to a panel that you don’t plan on attending. 
Whats part of the fun for one person, can be something someone else hates.....just sayin.

Offline miclpea

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2020, 06:53:01 AM »
I think Dune 2020 will be worth lining up for.

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 256
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
It also forces you to pick and choose.  Part of the fun is going to a panel that you don’t plan on attending.  These are usually my favorite panels of the con.

Agreed. I enjoy the animation panel on Saturdays in Hall H and I think it's my gf's favorite thing. Would never line up for that otherwise (which is of course why they stick it in there, lol).

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 324
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
I will be interested to see if Witcher comes back and the people who are at the panel are actually interested in it, now that it’s one of Netflix’s most popular shows. Last year, everybody was there for GoT. Same thing was the case for Dark Crystal.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 750
« Reply #357 on: February 21, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
Oh, I agree.  That palpable energy during a Marvel panel is something that's impossible to describe.  I mean, last year the Marvel panel was great and it was essentially a ton of hot air + plethora of celebrities with very little of substance to tell or show the crowd but I don't regret any time spent waiting in lines for that!