Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 32938 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 363
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel:
Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room:
2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed:
5 nights (Tuesday -> Sunday)

Year(s) You Stayed There:
2011, 2019

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?:
   Sally's & Brew30. I did not eat at either. There are plenty of options nearby

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
   Yep, they were quite friendly. I had to interact with them a few times because our room fridge was not functioning, and they were friendly and apologetic, and they made sure to followup and ensure that we did eventually get a replacement fridge.

* Did you order room service?
   No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
   There are two pools, one big general pool on the 4th floor, and one smaller "adult" pool on the 3rd with a spa. It was very windy the day I checked out both, so I didn't stay long, but I do like the general pool area, as there are party games set up all around. The "adult" pool is more of a cozy atmosphere.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
   The rooms were average size. There were only two of us, and we had no issues with space, even with all the swag and junk we brought back from SDCC. If there were four of us, then yeah, space would've been tight, especially with the full-sized beds instead of queens.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
   Nope.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
   On average, 5-10 minute walk to the convention. I should note that a lot of morning lines end at the Marriott (eg. LEGO minifig drawing, Dragonball Exhibit, start of Hall H NDL), so the walk from hotel to get to where I needed to be ended up being shorter than 5-10 minutes. Also, going along the pier side seemed faster than walking down Harbor Blvd, even though technically it's the same distance. I think this is because Harbor Blvd is more crowded, and there's that security bottleneck at 1st St.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
   I had zero issues with noise. It was quiet at night, which was great for getting a good night's sleep.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
   Yes, with the hotel rewards program (free). The only issue I had was the Chromecast TV setup, as most of my apps on my phone and laptop could not connect to it. I did eventually find one app (AirFlow for the Mac) that could stream my laptop content to the TV.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
   I signed up for Hyatt Rewards a few days before heading out to SDCC mainly for the WiFi. I haven't checked out the rewards.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
   This year, the lobby was under renovation, so checkin/checkout was actually on a makeshift desk outside on the driveway. It did not cause any inconvenience, but it did take some of the luster off of the hotel.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
* Proximity to convention center. The first time I stayed here in 2011, I felt it was a long walk to the con. This year, it seemed a lot shorter for some reason. The bonus is that you never had to wait for trains / trolleys to cross to get to / go from the hotel.
* Swag pickup is in one of the ballrooms, making it very convenient for us
* Hotel is just at the edge of the heavy gridlock on Harbor Blvd, so it wasn't ever a problem to hail a Lyft or get dropped off at Hyatt.
* You get a great view of the harbor / city, depending on which way you're facing and how high up you are. Also, I would highly recommend staying in the Harbor Tower (the one closer to the convention center). It somehow feels a lot closer to the con, even though the difference is only a matter of fifty yards or so.
* You get the SDCC-themed keycards

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
* As noted above, our fridge wasn't working, and they didn't immediately have a replacement fridge for us. I do appreciate how they made sure to followup and get us that fridge eventually without us having to call every day.
* For an official SDCC hotel that has SDCC events and rooms within the hotel, I wish there were more decorations, such as themed wallpapers in elevators like in other nearby hotels.
* Toilets don't seem to flush as well as other hotels.

Offline Karilg

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2019, 11:18:42 PM »
Name of Hotel: Embassy Suites

Type of Room: 2 full beds with a sofa sleeper

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018-2019

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? yes, there is a daily breakfast for the guests. There is also Dunkin donuts/ Baskin robins, and a bar and restaurant combo. Breakfast offers the usual eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, coffee, and juice along with personalized omelets. In the evening, they offered a free drink during happy hour.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? They were nice. 

* Did you order room service? Just for pillows and toilet paper. Came in a timely manner

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I believe the have both. did not use them. Used the laundry, machines could be cleaned more.  Small rooms on the 11th and 12th floors, only two machines each room.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? because its a suite, we had a good amount of space to move around and have our luggage and other con items.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?  $50 a night, too much to park there!

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? on foot about 10-15 minutes. not in the best physical condition (major back problems) really missed the shuttle!

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? not too bad but the neighbors had a large group and they liked being loud at night.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes for Hilton honors

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? yes, perks are free wifi

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
no celebrity sightings, family hotel. 

-close to cc
-free breakfast
-very roomy
-mini fridge in room
-coffee maker in room
-drinks in the afternoon

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

-no shuttle
-they did some sort of construction in the dining area the first night there. Was noisy until midnight.
-they also had to turn the water off for an hour. So, when I wanted to head back for a lunch break we had to wait for that hour to pass. You can see my previous review to know how much this irks me...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:31:20 PM by Karilg »

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Manchester Grand Hyatt - Harbor Tower

Type of Room:
One king bed

5 nights

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
There were 2 restaurants at the hotel, but I didn't eat at either. They also had a 'grab and go' station set up near reception which was convenient. There is a shopping area across the street with a Cheesecake Factory and a couple other places to eat. Also a Starbucks, which is nice to be able to grab coffee and a breakfast sandwich on the way to the convention center early in the morning and not have to wait at the long line at the Bayfront Starbucks.

Yes, everyone we came in contact with was nice and polite.

No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There was a gym, which we didn't use. There were two pools, one of which was an 'adult' pool. We could see the main pool from our room and it looked really cool but we ran out of time to use it.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
I thought the room was of a nice size, slightly larger than your average hotel room. There were only 2 of us staying in the room, with one bed, which may have made it seem roomier.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We didn't drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
We always walked, and depending on where we were coming from at the convention center, it took 10-15 mins. It was always much faster to walk on the pier side vs Harbor Blvd.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I didn't think the walls were thin at all. It seemed that the people in the next room over were always there when we got back (as evidenced by their 'room is occupied' sign on the door) but we never heard them.

Yes, if you're a member of their rewards program.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Technically yes. I had just downloaded the app and joined the program when I got MGH in the lottery. As this was my first stay, no perks except free wifi. 

The blood drive, premium rooms, and volunteer shirt pick up were all in this hotel, which was very convenient. I found out later (on social media) that the cast of Agents of Shield stayed there, but I didn't see them myself.

- Close to the convention center but still on the far end, so not as busy. Also easier to be picked up/dropped off by Lyft/Uber.
- The view was amazing! We had a view of the harbor and a lot of the bay from the 21st floor.
- Was closer to the end of the Hall H line on Sunday morning (along the pier side) than if we had stayed at any other hotel except MMM.

- Technically not in the Gaslamp. We stayed at Solamar last year and I really enjoyed how close we were to restaurants, nightlife, and the offsites during the day. It's a good 15 minute out-of-the-way walk into most things we wanted to do in the downtown/Gaslamp area.

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room:
One king bed

5 nights

Hotel Review:

Little Italy is literally right behind the hotel so would stop by there and grab a bite to eat in order to get away from the crowds.  Ironside was one of our favorite stops, best seafood.

Yes, everyone was extremely nice and helpful.

No.

Gym and pool but didn't use any of them.

Room was a good size, it was just my gf and I staying in the room so had no issues.

The hotel charges $30 a night for parking.

We took the Trolley most of the time which was about a 5-10 minute ride to and from the hotel.  The days we did walk due to the Trolley being too full it took us about 25 minutes to walk back.

Walls seemed good didn't hear anyone next door however I would hear the train on occasion.

Yes

Yes, just free water bottles but was a new member to Hilton Rewards

No

- Quick ride when taking the trolley
- Free morning breakfast buffet, would also take food with me in order to get in line faster
- Fresh baked cookies in the evening

- A long walk to and from the convention center when the trolley was too full to take
- Can still hear trains on occasion at night

Offline Dune930

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Name of Hotel:  Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room: 1 king

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019

Hotel Review:

A cafe inside the hotel which featured a very nice breakfast buffet.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?  Very nice hotel staff.

Nope

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? There was a nice looking pool, but I didn't use it. Hotel very, very nice, but I was focused on CC activities to take advantage of hotel amenities.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? My 1 king was spacious and quite lovely! I was there by myself. I was in a room that could have been part of a suite if friends/family were in the next room. So it had a door, which was locked, to go to the next room. However, the couple in the next room, a male and female, they were very loud talkers at night. So loud that when they came back to the hotel at 12:15am, they were so loud in talking about their day they woke me up and I had to call to the front desk to have them call that room and tell them to STFU. Front desk immediately did that, and the noise quieted down. So if I stay at this hotel next time, I'll make sure to ask for a room that is not part of a suite so I don't have to hear loud/drunk talking in middle of the night.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Upon check in, I was told it was $30 a night, for the 3 days I would be there. Unfortunately, I assumed that parking was included, so that annoyed me off, but, oh well. However, when I checked out, they only charged me for 2 days, so I was able to save $30. Maybe it was a mistake, but I didn't complain.  Parking was safe and secure at hotel.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Hotel was along the Pink shuttle line. Since I'm a walker and I wanted to explore, it was only a 28 minute walk from hotel to CC. But 28 mins may be too long for others who aren't healthy enough to walk that distance or too lazy. I never got on the shuttle. It was estimated that shuttle trip would be 30 mins. No brainer to walk.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? As referenced above, my first night was quiet. Second night, big mouth lady stood next to locked 'suite' door. She was also loud the 3rd night, but I turned on tv to drown her out until I fell asleep. Request room that does not have a shared suite door, too thin to block noise from next room. You can hear people talking out in the hallway as they went into/left their room. Some people just speak loud.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? No, not a member, but they have a perks program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Room looked recently renovated, I really enjoyed the pleasant, modern appearance of the hotel.  No celebrities, but I'm sure some may have stayed there to have some distance from craziness.

Good price for a downtown hotel. If you're a walker, this hotel is in an excellent location. Staff was exceptional, they were really happy to host CC attendees. Comfortable bed! I will have this hotel on my top 5 list next year for the lottery again. This hotel was my second choice.

Shower water pressure was lower than I prefer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:36:29 PM by Dune930 »