Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 27629 times)

Offline Johnc86

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 28
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel:
The Bristol

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
1 King-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:
7-nights, Monday, July 16 to Monday, July 23

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
   If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).
There are quite a few restaurants located right around the hotel (e.g. Chipotle, Lucys Taco Shop, Corner Bakery, BBQ Boss, a sushi restaurant). If you walk a few more blocks going toward the convention there's an even greater selection. If you arrive before the convention starts, I recommend going to Werewolf for happy hour. It was half off appetizers and they gave generous portions... at least we thought so. However, when we tried going again for happy hour after the con started they said they weren't doing happy hour.

It's not a restaurant but we bought a family dinner at Ralph's one-night which I thought was a pretty good deal. I think it was a whole chicken and two/three large sides for ~$10... we didn't finish all the food (sorry if this is too much info just hoping to help someone with a cheaper dinner option)

There was a restaurant inside the hotel but we did not eat there.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Yes, all hotel staff was polite and professional. We got to the hotel after midnight and the staff at the front desk checked us in very quickly and gave us a quick breakdown of what was available

* Did you order room service?
   If yes, tell us about if you had a good experience with room service.
No, we did not order room service

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There is a gym with machines and free-weights, no pool. We walked through the gym but did not work-out. The equipment seemed new.

There is a water machine in the lobby to refill your water bottle and coffee machine that's available until 11 am.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
It was just me and one other person in the room. We thought the room had a lot of space and we were able to move around comfortably. There was a table and two sofa chairs for sitting and plenty of floor space for our luggage and stuff we got from the convention.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We did not have a car. There is valet parking at the hotel and the parking lot is right next door. I don't remember the rates.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
We either walked or took the shuttle. On foot, it was roughly 15 minutes. I can't remember how long the shuttle ride was but the ride from the convention to the hotel was pretty fast when we didn't get stuck waiting for the crowds. It was only two stops away and the shuttle stopped right in front of The Bristol. The ride from the hotel to convention center took a lot longer, maybe 15-20 minutes because of all the stops.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I don't know if the walls are thin but we didn't hear anything in the hallway. Our room was facing the front of the hotel on the main road and next to the trolley tracks. We were on a higher floor so we didn't really notice the noise but the hotel does provide ear plugs which were available in the room.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes but it was really spotty

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Not member of rewards program

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
The room has a digital safe and a small refrigerator which was great for drinks and sandwiches. There's a tablet (Google Nexus) that replaces the clock. The tablet is pre-loaded with the hotel's software of things-to-do around the city, shows, etc. and you can use it to contact the front-desk or maintenance.

Spreckles is located a block away which is great for anyone that wants to wait in line for Conan.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
- Large modern rooms with plenty of space
- Shuttle stop right at the front of the hotel
- Plenty of food options around
- Close enough to the convention to walk but far enough from the hustle and bustle (if that's what you like). Ralph's is on the route so it was convenient to pick stuff up.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
A microwave would have been nice. Besides that I can't really think of anything negative which is why The Bristol will be our first choice during Hotelpocalypse.

Offline clarrkkent

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Sofia

Type of Room: Single Queen Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a restaurant and bar inside the hotel. There was also some kind of salad/green place next door. We didn't eat at either, so can't comment on them. Gaslamp Plaza was just a block or two away with lots of eating options.

Staff were pleasant and in a Comic Con type mood. The lobby was decorated with action figures, etc.

No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
  The hotel had a fitness center which had dumbbells up to 50 or 55lbs. A multi station. Some benches, medicine balls, weighted bars (like used with yoga, not barbells), a few treadmills and a few ellipticals. Towels and water were available.  The fitness center was NOT air conditioned, so it was rather hot.  No pool, sauna, hot tub, etc.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

The room was adequate for my wife and I. On the smaller side. The bed was not comfortable. The AC didn't cool the room as much as I would have liked. The bathroom, with shower and toilet, was really tiny. There was no door on the shower by design and it was oriented in a way that the water easily got out and everywhere if you weren't careful the entire time.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?

We didn't drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

We walked to the convention each day. It was about a mile and took roughly 15-18 minutes. The nice thing was that we passed through all the restaurants to/from the con, so could stop and eat.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

Didn't hear any neighboring rooms at all.

Sadly, I can't remember.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Not a member.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

I think the above covers it all.

Walkable distance, somewhat budget friendly compared to other downtown options, fitness center was adequate, staff were friendly.

Uncomfortable bed and inadequate cooling (in room and fitness center).

Offline karli2067

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Name of Hotel:  Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Type of Room:
we had two rooms both with two double beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 Wednesday through Monday

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.) 2018

Hotel Review:

yes there is a restaurant in the hotel with what I believe was a comic con menu, it was good but I'm a big fan of simple food like chicken tenders so I'm easy to please

* How was the hotel staff?
 everyone we came across was very nice and helpful, we really didn't need anything though.  we are low maintenance

no

there is a pool but we never got a chance to use it.  we did watch someone having a photo shoot at the pool dressed as spiderman from our window though so that was entertaining

there was two of us in one room and three in the other and we had so much room.  our flight ended up getting cancelled Monday so we stayed the night at the Hilton bayfront and the room we got there was half the size with no exaggeration

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? we did not drive

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? five minutes walking

not that I noticed, seemed pretty quiet

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes I had free wifi with my Hilton honors account

yes I am a Hilton honors member, got free wifi.  other than that the only reward I get is the points on my account for our stay that helped add up to get me a free room to the next convention I went to

the DC universe offsite was at our hotel in the courtyard.  Never got to go through it but one of our windows overlooked the courtyard so times we were in the room we did some people watching.

I love this hotel.  I would do horrible things to get a chance to stay in this hotel again.  It was our first time being downtown and it was amazing.  It did get pretty crowded trying to get in and out due to the line for the offsite but that was hardly anything to complain about since we were in the middle of things--which was exactly where we wanted to be.  The rooms were huge and clean and the people friendly.  This hotel is now the top of our list for next time!

there is not a single thing I did not like!

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds, plus a rollaway

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review:

Yes, there is a small counter-service in the hotel lobby that we ate breakfast at almost every day; they have ready-made grab-and-go hot sandwiches and coffee. Unfortunately they closed a little early (10pm I think), leaving me hungry before bed one night! There is also a pricey restaurant in the lobby.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? No issues with the staff!

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  We used the pool to relax before the Con began, and again at days-end to soak our tired feet! The Omni pool is on a high floor and offers a great view of the convention center. The drinks available at the pool "bar" are delicious but expensive.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  While the rollaway is a little awkward to walk around, it suited our party very well so everyone had a bed.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I believe parking was $40 or $50 PER NIGHT.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Very quick by foot.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? While at the Omni, we saw several cast members from Netflix's Stranger Things!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline ombregrey

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Name of Hotel: Bristol

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 1

Hotel Review:

Offered free breakfast buffet (didn't see that on their website though)

Very polite.

No room service available iirc. They had tablets in the rooms with ubereats app.

Didn't use any.

Room is a little tight but has tons of storage space.

15 minute on foot

Yes

Was newly renovated and beds were comfy. There is also a water refill station on the main floor. The airport bus stop is about 2 blocks away.