Author Topic: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories  (Read 32494 times)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
What tips, tricks and fun stories do you have about getting into parties at SDCC? What advice can you give others who are hoping to get into some exclusive parties in 2017?

Here's a crazy story that happened to my friend:

I was tired and my feet hurt sooo bad (do not wear NEW shoes to SDCC...yeah I know I was dumb) so I went to bed early one night. My friend who I was rooming with was new to SDCC and was just going to stay with me but I begged her to please just go out and explore because you never know what fun will happen. She agreed and went out, and I went to bed.

The next morning she tells me she got into the invite-only exclusive Walking Dead party. This was 2013 so I think it was in one of those parking lots in the Gaslamp. How the hell did that happen I asked??? Easy. She said that a few people were hanging out by the metal barricades. There was security there keeping an eye on things. When one of the guards was distracted she squeezed through 2 of the barricades and walked in like she was supposed to be there. No one said anything and she had a great time.

Not advocating sneaking into parties. Not saying anything like this will ever happen again. She just went for it!

Anyone else have any fun stories like that?

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 99
Re: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
So jealous your friend getting in to the Walking Dead party.

We didn't get to go to a private Industry party but one year my girlfriend, sister and I were walking around the Gaslamp.  I was looking for a Tattoo parlor that was featuring Star Wars tattoo art.  We found the parlor but what I didn't realize is it was a private party, invite only and obviously we didn't have an invite.  They even had a velvet rope in front of the door.  We knocked anyway and asked if we could come in.  The guy looked at all of us and said, sorry this is private.  Then he noticed my girlfriend's leg, she has an awesome tattoo covering almost her entire lower right leg. He took a closer look at her tattoo and then said come on in!  We felt really awkward because obviously everyone knew each other.  They had homemade food and lots of beer.  We had a great time and if anyone questioned us I just pointed at my girlfriend's leg.
That was one of those "ya never know" Gaslamp things!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:52:37 PM »

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
Did anyone hit the Geek n Sundry party? We really wanted to go but it was at capacity (it seemed like) the entire night.

How early were people lining up?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:52:37 PM »

Offline MarvelGurl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 201
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
My biggest tip is to join Twitter if you haven't already, and subscribe to media outlets that you know attend SDCC. TV Networks (FX, Fox, CW, Cartoon Network, etc), gaming companies (EA, Treyarch, etc.), studios (Sony, Fox, WB, etc.), pop culture media (IMDB, EW, Screenjunkies, etc.). Do your research, look up who has had exclusive parties in the past and keep up to date with their SDCC news from Spring to the beginning of July. Besides my personal connections this is how I get to attend a lot of exclusive parties with that good ole' open bar. Twitter is key.

Offline Legend_of_Melda

• Exhibit Hall
  • Unleash the bats
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter is key.

I have a love hate relationship with Twitter. I know it is super useful but i get so overwhelmed by the amount of posts during comic con.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 201
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
I have a love hate relationship with Twitter. I know it is super useful but i get so overwhelmed by the amount of posts during comic con.

True, but it's best for last minute changes, contests, parties, etc. During SDCC week I know what you mean. I'm always tempted to turn off my notifications.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1647
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »
My biggest tip is to join Twitter if you haven't already, and subscribe to media outlets that you know attend SDCC. TV Networks (FX, Fox, CW, Cartoon Network, etc), gaming companies (EA, Treyarch, etc.), studios (Sony, Fox, WB, etc.), pop culture media (IMDB, EW, Screenjunkies, etc.). Do your research, look up who has had exclusive parties in the past and keep up to date with their SDCC news from Spring to the beginning of July. Besides my personal connections this is how I get to attend a lot of exclusive parties with that good ole' open bar. Twitter is key.
Good tip.

Also a good tip if you get inside - don't crowd up on the celebs with selfies and such. My advice is to Relax and say hi. Most will be chill and have a quick chat. Enjoy the experience.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline takit0

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »

Love the tip. Will definitely have to redownload Twitter and use it to my advantage.

My tip would have to be is whatever that party you go, dress up a little because you might be mistaken for a VIP and get to reap the benefits of it, especially if you act like you belong there and follow DRWHO42's tip on staying relaxed and don't crowd up on the celebs.
2019: SXSW // SDCC // Mondo Con // Fantastic Fest
2020: TBD

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
Did anyone hit the Geek n Sundry party? We really wanted to go but it was at capacity (it seemed like) the entire night.

How early were people lining up?

We were going to go (having gone the previous year) but the line was outrageous, even super early!  Then they cut off entrance to "regular" people and only allowed celebs/VIPs in.  I heard it left a bad taste in people's mouths.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
We were going to go (having gone the previous year) but the line was outrageous, even super early!  Then they cut off entrance to "regular" people and only allowed celebs/VIPs in.  I heard it left a bad taste in people's mouths.

How early were you? I remember hearing the party was awesome in 2015 so thats why we wanted to check it out. If its going to be like that again maybe we shouldn't bother.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 563
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
I get some invitations through work.  I work at an ad agency who represents some of the Comic Con exhibitors and works with others.

Even if you do score an invitation, make sure you don't arrive "fashionably late".  The Geek and Sundry party was one of many that was "over-invited".  I managed to get in through a kind security guard at the VIP entrance.  I don't know if it was because of my type of invitation, though.

At another party I attended--Syfy's Magicians party--some invited people came late and couldn't get in because it was at capacity.  But,  I came on time and got in.  The party was fun.  I talked to a few of the stars and they were nice.  I don't ask for selfies.  I just like to talk for a few seconds and they like that. 

A few years ago, I attended a BBC America party that had Dr. Who and Orphan Black stars.  So many people just go up to them, ask for a picture, get the picture, and leave with nothing to say.  I'm sure the actors feel like props after a while.  My friend would go up and say, "I don't want a picture, I just wanted to tell you...[insert conversation here]".  Some of the actors were so grateful for not being a photo prop, they didn't want to let her go.

So, that's my advice if you do have an encounter with a celebrity at a party.  Talk to them.  Don't treat them like a prop for a selfie.  A nice conversation with someone is more memorable than standing there for a picture.  You don't actually need a trophy. Conversations are better.  Act like a VIP, not a fanboy or fangirl.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1647
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
Good advice
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 245
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
I get some invitations through work.  I work at an ad agency who represents some of the Comic Con exhibitors and works with others.

Even if you do score an invitation, make sure you don't arrive "fashionably late".  The Geek and Sundry party was one of many that was "over-invited".  I managed to get in through a kind security guard at the VIP entrance.  I don't know if it was because of my type of invitation, though.

At another party I attended--Syfy's Magicians party--some invited people came late and couldn't get in because it was at capacity.  But,  I came on time and got in.  The party was fun.  I talked to a few of the stars and they were nice.  I don't ask for selfies.  I just like to talk for a few seconds and they like that. 

A few years ago, I attended a BBC America party that had Dr. Who and Orphan Black stars.  So many people just go up to them, ask for a picture, get the picture, and leave with nothing to say.  I'm sure the actors feel like props after a while.  My friend would go up and say, "I don't want a picture, I just wanted to tell you...[insert conversation here]".  Some of the actors were so grateful for not being a photo prop, they didn't want to let her go.

So, that's my advice if you do have an encounter with a celebrity at a party.  Talk to them.  Don't treat them like a prop for a selfie.  A nice conversation with someone is more memorable than standing there for a picture.  You don't actually need a trophy. Conversations are better.  Act like a VIP, not a fanboy or fangirl.

There was a big party at the Hard Rock last year that many of us here got passes to, however they also vastly oversold and many of us ended up being locked out just prior to the start time. Definitely a bummer, it would have been worth waiting out early for but we were at a panel. What bugged me about it, is they had us wait in a line outside for over an hour before we got wind that they were likely not going to let anyone else in after all.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 881
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

This is really, really excellent advice. Basically, know your surroundings. A con may be a place for selfies/photo ops/autographs, but a party is definitely not. After all, parties are places for everyone to unwind - celebrities included!
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 563
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
There was a big party at the Hard Rock last year that many of us here got passes to, however they also vastly oversold and many of us ended up being locked out just prior to the start time. Definitely a bummer, it would have been worth waiting out early for but we were at a panel. What bugged me about it, is they had us wait in a line outside for over an hour before we got wind that they were likely not going to let anyone else in after all.

I had that experience with that one too.  But, I came late also and didn't stay long.