Author Topic: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories  (Read 42566 times)

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
Re: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
How do you sign up for the nerd nite party??

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 570
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2017, 02:35:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I lucked out.  I was checking Twitter and someone I follow (SDCC blog or someone else) posted a link to the RSVP.  I did it at just the right time and got in.  A few minutes later, it was full.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 03:49:16 AM »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1649
SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
I went to Game of Bloggers, Wired, and the NBC parties. I did not make it to the Digital LA party due to a schedule conflict.

Overall I enjoyed both parties. I was happier that was back to three days and I hope it stays that way.

The author and cast of Midnight, Texas attended the NBC party.

I attended Wired  Thursday and Friday however not Saturday. Lines were not long. In my time there I did see some celebrities some were in the General area and some retreated to the VIP section. There was a birthday cake and celebration for Jaime Chung (The Gifted). Everyone had cake.

I cannot wait until next year.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:22:34 PM by DRWHO42 »
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1360
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
They tweet out the link, and you go really fast and sign up. They have used Tikly the past few years, and there is no physical ticket-you are just put on a guest list. Usually in the first couple of weeks in July (although they posted kind of last minute, this year). Put @nerdnite on twitter on mobile notification.
I did not get in, but a wonderful forum member gave me her email. FYI-I did tell them I was using someone else's email, and they let me in. They checked ID, but it was because of the alcohol involved, not to check against the guest list. This year, I am not sure you could just walk in later, as in previous years (last year, I had a ticket, but when I walked up, they just waved me in without checking it). There seemed to be people in line (a short line) when we came out.
Ang

Offline semigeekgirl

• Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 1648
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »
Alpha Kraken Geek& Sundry was like kinda weird. Felt like they were trying to cater to both middle-aged nerds and young folks. (ie Fairly Odd Parents theme song with EDM beat and dropped the bass) The music was super cringey that not even the open(hosted) bar could make us stay. No food sadly. They did have cool activities like temp tats, photo booth, and strength contest and you got a cool shot glass for doing it all. 7/10 would not go alone though and would leave after getting alcohol LOL

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Agree that Alpha/Kraken party was odd. We lined up about 20 minutes before it started, but they didn't let the non-VIP line in until about 45 minutes after the time, so we were in line for over an hour and it was already packed by the time we got in. We didn't even see the temporary tattoos or photo booth because there were so many people, and nowhere to sit unless you were a VIP. The hosted bar was nice and we liked the drinks but the music was super loud and we didn't really feel like dancing so we left after about half an hour to go get some food.

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, Angelogy :)

So I went to the Doctor Who Fan Cosplay party on Sat night, as a +1 to a kind stranger on this forum.
It was at the rooftop of the OmniA night club, and was swanky. There was a bathroom attendant. It was fun, not crowded, open bar. I did keep hoping the cast would come and they didn't :( But it was fun to hang out with whovians!

Offline fruitflan

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »
I attended Nerd Nite and it was pretty cool! There was a big group of guys behind me without tickets and they were let in as well (they asked to be put on waitlist)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »
I attended Nerd Nite and it was pretty cool! There was a big group of guys behind me without tickets and they were let in as well (they asked to be put on waitlist)
Well, that's good. I had mentioned there was a chance in previous years of getting in without tickets. I was hoping I didn't steer anybody wrong. Nice to hear that there is still a chance. We went in when it opened, and they were checking everyone off against the guest list.
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 7678
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
One comment about Nerd Nite... I signed up my husband and daughter to go. My daughter is 16. I checked on the RSVP page for age limitations and there were none listed. We checked the email confirmation and there were no age restrictions listed. But when they got to the door, they were told that it was 21+. Needless to say, my daughter was heartbroken. We were really frustrated by the entire thing because we had checked and checked and there had been nothing about the age limit. At least they let me husband get a second Swag bag for her.

Another friend of mine ( [member=1420]lborgia88[/member] ) went to the Buffy party. She said it was a lot of fun and that Claire Kramer showed up to cut the anniversary cake. But everyone was chased out right at 9 pm.

Offline maya28

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
I got in to Fandom party thanks to a very kind boardmember here😊 party took place on the rooftop of the Hard Rock. Music was good, current, musical entertainment was rapper Big Boi who put on a great show. Free food (sliders, wings, and fajitas etc) and themed drinks, which i had way too many of, and adorable wookie cookies. I never saw any celebs, so im not sure if any were there or not. Poolside couches were set up for those who wanted to get away from the main stage. I met great ppl and had a good time. The only thing i missed was the masquerade masks they passed out last year. But no complaints from me. Id love to do it again next year😊

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 80
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
My group attended 4 free party events during SDCC this year; here’s my review!

Fandom Pepsi Party at Float
We got in line ~6:15pm and waited about an hour. There were photo ops, good food/desserts, and an open bar. There was a taco bar, mac n cheese, floats, Wookiee cookies, and churros. The drinks were plentiful in quantity and alcohol content. Big Boi performed and while I’m not a typical listener, it was really enjoyable. There was also an area with a giant lite bright, air hockey, ski ball, and a few other games. There were also a few celebrities. Highly recommend this party!

Rocketleague Second Birthday Party
The line was easy to go through and early birds got a swag bag with a poster, ball, and nice specific sized shirt. Food was good and you received 2 drink tickets, and birthday cake. There were 6 game stations and a DJ. I found the DJ music too loud.

Whiskey tasting with Aisha Tyler
This turned into a brief photo op with the insanely kind Aisha Tyler and a whiskey tasting. It was very quick but enjoyable nonetheless!

Doctor Who Party at Omnia
We waited a little over an hour for this one, though we could have arrived later. There was an open bar with strong themed drinks but no food - a tough combination! The Doctor Who cosplay fashion show was really fun and the crowd was into it. The DJ was excellent, and if we weren’t starving, we would have stayed longer.

Overall, Fandom was my favorite. It wasn’t over-crowded and a great way to kick off our con!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
I got in to Fandom party thanks to a very kind boardmember here😊 party took place on the rooftop of the Hard Rock. Music was good, current, musical entertainment was rapper Big Boi who put on a great show. Free food (sliders, wings, and fajitas etc) and themed drinks, which i had way too many of, and adorable wookie cookies. I never saw any celebs, so im not sure if any were there or not. Poolside couches were set up for those who wanted to get away from the main stage. I met great ppl and had a good time. The only thing i missed was the masquerade masks they passed out last year. But no complaints from me. Id love to do it again next year😊

So, were you able to get in using someone else's RSVP? They made it seem like they would be very strict. I would have given mine away, but didn't think that I could.
Ang

Offline maya28

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
So, were you able to get in using someone else's RSVP? They made it seem like they would be very strict. I would have given mine away, but didn't think that I could.
I was😊 but im not sure if that was due to the lady not wanting to be bothered asking someone else when she couldnt find my name listed, lol. i showed her my RSVP emails etc and she sorta kinda tried to flag down one of her busy beaver co-workers, when that didnt work, she basically gave up and handed us our wristbands😂

Offline maya28

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »
My group attended 4 free party events during SDCC this year; here’s my review!

Fandom Pepsi Party at Float
We got in line ~6:15pm and waited about an hour. There were photo ops, good food/desserts, and an open bar. There was a taco bar, mac n cheese, floats, Wookiee cookies, and churros. The drinks were plentiful in quantity and alcohol content. Big Boi performed and while I’m not a typical listener, it was really enjoyable. There was also an area with a giant lite bright, air hockey, ski ball, and a few other games. There were also a few celebrities. Highly recommend this party!

Rocketleague Second Birthday Party
The line was easy to go through and early birds got a swag bag with a poster, ball, and nice specific sized shirt. Food was good and you received 2 drink tickets, and birthday cake. There were 6 game stations and a DJ. I found the DJ music too loud.

Whiskey tasting with Aisha Tyler
This turned into a brief photo op with the insanely kind Aisha Tyler and a whiskey tasting. It was very quick but enjoyable nonetheless!

Doctor Who Party at Omnia
We waited a little over an hour for this one, though we could have arrived later. There was an open bar with strong themed drinks but no food - a tough combination! The Doctor Who cosplay fashion show was really fun and the crowd was into it. The DJ was excellent, and if we weren’t starving, we would have stayed longer.

Overall, Fandom was my favorite. It wasn’t over-crowded and a great way to kick off our con!
There was a giant lite brite at Fandom??! How did i not know this?? Damn those free drinks!!  And what celebs were there? I basically just hung out by the pool. I shouldve been keeping an eye out for celebs. OH!! Also forgot to mention that there was face painting at Fandom as well

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 570
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
I guess I should give Fandom another shot.  To the people who got in, were you VIP or regular tickets?  Did you all get there before it started or after?