Author Topic: Can anyone offer I sight and tips on getting a hotel during the 'pacolypse?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Bobjsd

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
First time and  reading horror stories, like you have to have your form filled out and in within 90 seconds, etc.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First time and  reading horror stories, like you have to have your form filled out and in within 90 seconds, etc.

Keep an eye on the forum as more details are released, I can guarantee you we will analyze everything in excruciating detail  :)

If the sale works the same as last year, it doesn't matter how quickly you fill out the form, but rather how soon you were granted access to the form, which was random. Having said that, I think it is still a good idea to fill out the form as quickly as you can.

Most important thing to remember, there aren't enough downtown rooms to go around, but you will get a room somewhere, if not in the sale then afterwards.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Snick3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
I keep hearing that if me and my wife both try to do Hotelpocalypse that one or both of us can be kicked out, is that true? Even if we both have different emails?

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
I keep hearing that if me and my wife both try to do Hotelpocalypse that one or both of us can be kicked out, is that true? Even if we both have different emails?
If you're working together and only need one room, there is really no reason to submit two requests.  Just submit your request for the first one in and close the second one down.
There is no real advantage to submitting more than one request.
That said, if you want to submit more than one request, to be on the safe side, use different email, phone, and occupant names on each submission.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179

If the sale works the same as last year, it doesn't matter how quickly you fill out the form, but rather how soon you were granted access to the form, which was random. Having said that, I think it is still a good idea to fill out the form as quickly as you can.

Ya that was the question I never figured out, it's a big difference too, whether you have to be madly filling in things once you get the form or if you can take your time once you are in. You think they would give a clear answer.

Offline frostywontons

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
It's an inane process with no discernible logic. No real tricks or strategies as the entire thing is frustratingly random. The best suggestion, assuming process is the same as previous year, is try to submit the form as soon as possible (autofill should be possible). There are anecdotes on this forum attesting that multiple submissions for the same party caused processing issues so maybe you just wanna do one form (why onPeak should have this sort of issue is beyond me).

Offline s3rndpt

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73

Apparently this can happen, yes, but my husband and I try to minimize by using our given names vs our nicknames, and/or our children's names. So, my husband, who's name is Steve, will put himself in as Stephen on his, and I'll put him in as Steve on mine. Or, he'll put himself and one kid on his reservation request, and I'll put myself and my other kid on my request.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
If you're working together and only need one room, there is really no reason to submit two requests.  Just submit your request for the first one in and close the second one down.
There is no real advantage to submitting more than one request.
That said, if you want to submit more than one request, to be on the safe side, use different email, phone, and occupant names on each submission.

I disagree. There is a huge advantage to submitting more than one request. I know some members frown upon it, but in my case I always submit at least 4-5 using different family members' information and if I get multiple hotels I offer it to the community here or to my friends who are attending the con. No different than doing a badge buying group.

Anyway....last year I submitted a few requests and only one of them managed to snag Town and Country and the rest were waitlisted. Had I only done one submission I probably would have only received the waitlist assignment.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Anyway....last year I submitted a few requests and only one of them managed to snag Town and Country and the rest were waitlisted. Had I only done one submission I probably would have only received the waitlist assignment.
Interesting, so your first one into the form was waitlisted, while a later one got you T&C.  Did you have identical requests for each submission?
The data we collected last year seemed to indicate that, for identical selections, it was the time you got into the form that was the overall determining factor.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
Interesting, so your first one into the form was waitlisted, while a later one got you T&C.  Did you have identical requests for each submission?
The data we collected last year seemed to indicate that, for identical selections, it was the time you got into the form that was the overall determining factor.

I think that I may have made an error on only one of them. Same address as another? However I had different names, addresses, and emails for my 5 other submissions. I'm also not 100% sure in what place I submitted the request that received T&C since I was working off a few different computers and just needed to go go go.