Author Topic: ID10T - June 24 & 25, 2017 - (SF Bay Area) Mountain View Shoreline Amphitheatre  (Read 2452 times)

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

EXPERIENCE ID10T

CREATED + HOSTED BY CHRIS HARDWICK

Chris Hardwick, one of the most recognizable faces in pop culture fandom, and one of today’s top touring standup comedians, is the creator and host of ID10T MUSIC FESTIVAL & COMIC CONIVAL.

He will emcee the event, mediate the main panels, and introduce select bands and comedians.

=================================================================

Looks cool. Music, Pop Culture, Comics. May be worth checking out especially for us local Bay Area folks.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
Live Nation is currently doing its You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login through May 9 where they are offering $20 tickets to a ton of events at their venues and ID10T one-day passes are part of the sale. It looks like the $20 is all-inclusive if you choose the e-Ticket method (i.e. no convenience/order processing fees).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Choose "Kickoff to Summer Sale" under "Ticket Type."

I was leaning towards skipping this at its normal price ($65 for single day, $99.50 for two-day, before fees), but $20 for a general admission single day might be worth the plunge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:57:01 PM by Cut That Meat »
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Dan Berry

• Exhibit Hall
  • Comic Con veteran
    • The Convention Collective
  • Liked: 22
ID10T Music Festival + Comic Conival
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »
Chris Hardwick's ID10T Music Festival + Comic Conival (June 24th-25th in the Silicon Valley, CA area) announced their first guests and panels today in a press release. Some of the panels include Portlandia, MST3K (moderated by Wil Wheaton), Stan Hates Evil, Harmontown. There are also tons of comic book creators, and some musicians performing. SInce this is right before SDCC and we already know Chris Hardwick will be in SD, could this show up there? Hmmm

Full press release link here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:10:20 PM by Angology »
Contributor to The Convention Collective
SDCC 1993-1996, 2000-2019, WonderCon 2014-2019
C2E2 2015-2016, Phoenix Comiccon 2015-2016,
Silicon Valley Comic Con 2017-2019
ECCC 2017-2019
LBCC 2016-2019
LBCE 2016-2020
TwitchCon 2016-2018, and many more (20+ in 2019)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: ID10T Music Festival + Comic Conival
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Saw this in an email from ticketmaster. Don't know if it is actually a one day sale. "Save up to 30 percent today" is a bit ambiguous. The purchase page says Early Bird Discount so probably not. Brings the 2-day pass done to about $78, only seems to work for general admission.

Save up to 30 percent today!
Chris Hardwick's ID10T Music Festival and Comic Conival makes it's debut in Silicon Valley on Saturday, June 24th and Sunday, June 25th. With equal parts comic con and music festival plus some of this year’s hottest comedians and DJs, fans will enjoy two full days with over 80 different artists at Shoreline Amphitheatre.

For a limited time, save up to 30 percent on tickets with 2 different options:

1. Use offer code "INSIDER" to save up to 30 percent on individual tickets

2. Select a Fantastic Four Pack (4 tickets for the price of 3) while supplies last

Don't miss your chance to see Weezer, Girl Talk, OK Go, TV on the Radio, Madeon, Zeds Dead, Michael Che, Demetri Martin and so much more in a cosplay friendly environment!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
Calendar link added!
Ang

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:04:39 PM »
Merge?  :)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
Merge?  :)

~Forum housekeeping
Merged this topic ^ with the previously created post (ID10T - June 24 & 25, 2017 - (SF Bay Area) Mountain View Shoreline Amphitheatre). Looks like the calendar link remained.
Carry on!
Ang

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
I won tickets to this from Live 105!!  8)

Panel listing is up! Saturday they have MST3K, Con Man, The Magicians, Stan Against Evil, and Nerdist Podcast. Sunday they have Futurama, Animaniacs Live, Portlandia (!!), and Harmontown. I was actually a little surprised when they announced real TV show panels -- I wasn't expecting that. But now I'm looking forward to going on Sunday, more than ever! Sunday just happens to be stacked with the panels I most want to see (Animaniacs, Portlandia) AND the music I most want to see (Robert Delong, Crystal Castles, & TV on the Radio)!
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
I won tickets to this from Live 105!!  8)

Panel listing is up! Saturday they have MST3K, Con Man, The Magicians, Stan Against Evil, and Nerdist Podcast. Sunday they have Futurama, Animaniacs Live, Portlandia (!!), and Harmontown. I was actually a little surprised when they announced real TV show panels -- I wasn't expecting that. But now I'm looking forward to going on Sunday, more than ever! Sunday just happens to be stacked with the panels I most want to see (Animaniacs, Portlandia) AND the music I most want to see (Robert Delong, Crystal Castles, & TV on the Radio)!

Congratulations, that's awesome! That's great about the panels.  I will glance wistfully in that direction as I drive by on the way to SJC Saturday morning :(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Congrats, Hikanteki! I hope you have an awesome time! It sounds like the panel schedule is perfect for you!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
Thanks Mark & Transmute Jun!  ;D

I went on Sunday. A few of the parking lots were blocked off and tents were set up for exhibitors, artists, panels, stages, and other displays. Each exhibitor had its own tent. The Artists Alley was one big tent with a stage on one side, and there was also an Artisan Marketplace which featured additional artists but seemed to focus more on crafts/physical products rather than paintings. The Panel tent had maybe 100 seats but plenty of standing room and you could still see the panel if you stood behind or on the sides of the tent. The Comedy Tent was the only thing that was completely enclosed. Sponsors included Peet's Coffee, Krave Jerky, Jelly Belly, Snickers, Toyota, and others. Each of them had a booth and I especially liked the Peet's one, since they gave out free bottles of Cold Brew! Krave had samples but were selling their products. Toyota had caricature drawing, and the second best piece of swag at a con I've ever gotten, after the Viking Horn at SDCC (see below). They also had a setup of Power Rangers Laser Tag, which we got to play and was a lot of fun. The line wasn't too long either.

I attended one panel in the Artist's Alley, Music Influencing Comics (by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, a music company which sells products for guitar effects. They handed out a swag back with a comics and other small items. Then I went over to the main Panel tent for Animanics Live! and Portlandia. I got in standing room at the end of Futurama and then ended up getting a pretty good seat for Animaniacs and Portlandia. Production value was excellent. Chris Hardwick moderated both panels. For the Animanics panel, only Rob Paulsen & Maurice LaMarche (Pinky & the Brain) were there from the voice actors but they also had Randy Rogel, one of the music composers. I hadn't seen him at any of the Animaniacs con panels, but he played a couple of the songs (including the country song) the keyboard with Rob singing along! Portlandia featured Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen. I was excited to see this one since I hadn't seen them at any con before. Carrie said that Portlandia was about good intentions coupled with disastrous execution, lol.

I was impressed at how through the Exhibitor Area was. Many different kinds were there...many selling comics, some (but not too many) Funko Pops, T-shirts, wares, and others. I'd say the selection was better than someplace like Heroes & Villains, but not as extensive as, say, WonderCon or Silicon Valley Comic Con. Some booths of note were Skybound, Valiant, Boom Studios, Oni Press, Aspen, and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. The Artisan Marketplace was pretty interesting. The Artist Alley tent was a little underpar and probably could be expanded for next year. We didn't make it into the Comedy Tent, since it was just about the only thing that had a line. Apparently they exceeded capacity on Saturday and moved to a free ticketing system. We also couldn't see inside because it was the only tent/display that was completely enclosed. But there were still plenty of other things to do. There were also some pretty good food trucks, but just like every event at Shoreline, they were overpriced. More expensive than the same trucks charge elsewhere. In the evening, the panel tent turned in to a DJ/EDM tent which we largely avoided.

Instead we went to the main concert area to see Robert Delong, Crystal Castles, and TV on the Radio. (We weren't that interested in Animal Collective so we walked around instead, and I also had to leave before the headliner, Girl Talk, but wasn't that interested in them either.) The performances were great, but attendance was sad. Shoreline's capacity is over 20,000, and seating is divided into front seats, back seats, and lawn (which covers the most area and is the furthest back). I estimate that maybe a few hundred people watched Robert Delong. By the end of the night there were at most a few thousand people. At the beginning, Shoreline staff told us that if we had lawn tickets, we were still welcome to sit in the back seating section. Then, before TV on the Radio started, staff came around and gave us wristbands to sit in the front seats since they said they needed to fill up the front section for Girl Talk since they were filming it. I wasn't able to see them, but it was nice having a 9th row seat for TV on the Radio.

The attendance of the concert portion was truly sad, but as I walked out I saw that the EDM Tent was PACKED (and getting a little messy.) So some parts of ID10T were obviously successful, but it was uneven. One of my friends said a staff member told him attendance for Sunday was estimated at 8,000. That isn't good for a 20,000+ capacity venue. We suspect Saturday may have been higher since they had slightly bigger name bands (Weezer was the headliner) and Saturday is in general a better festival day. Also, it was the same weekend as the Bay Area's biggest annual event...SF Pride. Although things happen at the same time all the time in this area and most big metros, it's still hard to be scheduled at the same time as a 1 Million strong event. But perhaps this is the only weekend they could have held ID10T.

I generally don't like going to concerts at Shoreline due to how the stage is set up, but it works really well for festivals like this. It had the pros (easy to see most events, lots of space, very laid back, usually nice weather) and cons (stuck in the venue all day with no ins & outs, overpriced food, not close to anything else, one way in/one way out) of other events in Shoreline, but since the main area was mostly comic and entertainment tents rather than competing stages with concerts, it was a lot more pleasant to walk around. You could still go to the main stage if you wanted to hear music.

While the low attendance was great for attendees...it can't be good for the festival. I feel that promotion could have been better. I am very interested in both the comic con & concert circuits, and this event really was the best of both worlds...but was not properly advertised in either in my opinion, to the point where I most likely would not have gone had I not ended up winning free tickets. I had heard of the comic con part of it, but I had no idea it would actually be a real comic con. As far as comic con merits alone, I'd probably rank it as 2nd best in the Bay Area after SVCC. Way better than Heroes & Villains, better than Big Wow, I haven't been to SFCC but from what I heard about it, probably better than that too. At the same time, while all the bands were mentioned first in the promo material...they almost seemed like an afterthought. It wasn't clear in what capacity they'd be there. The Live 105 audience would have been perfect to push this festival to, but I rarely heard them mention it, until the last week when they started giving tickets away like crazy. But both the comedy and EDM tents were packed, so I guess some parts were a success.

After going and having a great time, I almost wish I would have gone Saturday too...but spending all day at Shoreline is tiring. One day of this was probably enough for me.

Futurama

Animanics Live

Portlandia

Valiant Booth

Insight Booth

Artisan Marketplace

Comedy Tent Line

Power Rangers Laser Tag (Outside)

EDM Tent (Daytime)

Robert Delong

Crystal Castles

TV on the Radio

EDM Tent (Nighttime)

Swag

2nd Best Swag I've Ever Gotten at a Con -- a Light-Up Half Tambourine (Lit Up)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
Great writeup and photos [member=354]hikanteki[/member] , thanks for sharing! When they announced it I didn't connect those dates with pride weekend, but that had to hurt attendance. Nice that there were some comic publishers, SVCC didn't really have any. Valiant was at the last APE I went to but they just had a small booth selling trades.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Thanks for the detailed writeup! Sounds like most of the people who wet were interested in comedy and panels, rather than the musical acts. Honestly, it was the heavy promotion of the musical acts (I am not familiar with any of them) that made me decide it wasn't for me. But the rest of it sounds much better than I expected. Maybe I might check this out if they have one next year.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
Really thorough write up Hikanteki and informative pics. I regret not checking it out myself after your evaluation of it. Maybe next year if it comes around again.

Now interestingly though, I subscribe to the local comic book shop's newsletter (Lee's Comics in Mountain View) and they had a booth there and he did his write up from obviously his end and was much less favorable of it. He stated he did not even make/sell half of what his booth costs and felt there just was not enough advertising and direction of traffic to his booth. He noted his booth was sort of aways back but also that instead of having all the comics and similar booths/tents in one area they were simply sparsed out among the layout. He said he'd only come back if some of his concerns were addressed. Comic Book retail is a tough business.

Anyways, I hope it comes back and it becomes more popular so comic book vendors/retailers and all enjoy it. 
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
Really thorough write up Hikanteki and informative pics. I regret not checking it out myself after your evaluation of it. Maybe next year if it comes around again.

Now interestingly though, I subscribe to the local comic book shop's newsletter (Lee's Comics in Mountain View) and they had a booth there and he did his write up from obviously his end and was much less favorable of it. He stated he did not even make/sell half of what his booth costs and felt there just was not enough advertising and direction of traffic to his booth. He noted his booth was sort of aways back but also that instead of having all the comics and similar booths/tents in one area they were simply sparsed out among the layout. He said he'd only come back if some of his concerns were addressed. Comic Book retail is a tough business.

Anyways, I hope it comes back and it becomes more popular so comic book vendors/retailers and all enjoy it.

Yeah, while it was great for attendees I was worried about the vendors. The low attendance couldn't have been good for them. I also didn't notice very many people buying and/or walking around with stuff. This is something ID10T has to find a solution to; there are no in and outs so you can't take stuff to your car or drop it off elsewhere, but people who spend the evening dancing in the EDM area probably not going to want to buy stuff they have to carry around. Carrying around stuff while attending the regular concert could work a bit better depending on where you're sitting.