Author Topic: Anyone use 3D printers to make cosplay costumes?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Anyone use 3D printers to make cosplay costumes?
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
With the recent availability of low cost large volume 3D printers, it's possible to print things like helmets as one big complete item instead of gluing together a bunch of little pieces.  Does anyone here use 3D printers to make their outfits?

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: Anyone use 3D printers to make cosplay costumes?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
I have never used them. But I know last year when I was figuring out my Fallout 4 cosplay people were selling 3D printed Vault Suit accessories and Pip-Boys. I even came across instructions/files/codes so that you could print the Pip-Boy yourself.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:43:16 AM »

Offline edwinfabian

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »

There's a lot of stuff to think about when you try to print one big piece, so I still prefer to print in small pieces

You need to worry about "overhangs" which means printing filler material so that the helmet doesn't fall apart while printing. It's a big waste of filament and after the print is done, you need to remove that filler material which is a huge pain.