Author Topic: Help-- should i buy a new laptop ??  (Read 5481 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Help-- should i buy a new laptop ??
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »
I pulled the trigger on

$863 refurbished 1 year warenty
27 HR BATTERY ( HAHA!! more like 8hr according to a review i just read, I might get 15+ hours )
4.5lb ( I'll report the final weight when i get it)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Processor : Intel Core i5-7300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Display Panel : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), non-Touch, no WiGig, WLAN, WWAN
Memory : 8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 620
Security Chip : Hardware dTPM
Keyboard : Keyboard with Number Pad - English
Camera : 720p HD Camera with MIC
Hard Drive : 1tb ssd
Front Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 32WH
Rear Battery : ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cylindrical Rear
Wireless : Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1,
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:21:58 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
To save power, u might have to tweak the settings on it so it saves power but may suffer on performance unless u can find a balance. if u can find a store with so to speak tech geeks who are real about things and say straight how u can save power then do what u can with programs cause they can help u tweak stuff to save power anyway possible. besides try not have alot running in background that drags it along at anytime so u might use ctrl alt delete sometimes to see what is being done at time. i know everyone is different about what they do and use so not sure what elese to suggest off hand. just enjoy the new car so to speak and can always do tweaks along the way and see how it goes from there.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:09:33 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
 ;)
I got it covered  8)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
That's a good tradeoff for the big SSD. The battery life on my work lenovo is all over the place depending on what's running, things like Outlook drag it down pretty bad but it was awesome while traveling this summer.

This thread has me thinking, my son is off to college this year and we need to figure out what we do computer wise. (Not to mention what we do about the video game library :) )

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
yikes... didn't mean to start things LOL
my old laptop is just starting to be quirky... the 'A' double strikes & the right arrow doesn't work... & it gets hot, i got it 4 and a half years ago
it's a i7-4700MQ quad core processor-- the bench marks aren't that much better for an i5 7300 3.5ghz but the timing is good, I need to insure that I have a good workhorse for the next few years.

it doesn't come with Lojack- but i may get it anyway

eta:
as [member=1871]kohyuta[/member] pointed out - the touch & convertible are sugar features.  Plus i'm not a graphics guy. What I really need is a solid work machine, if the refurb is as advertised- I'm happy. I want to start using a vpn - so the win pro is a plus as is the long battery life (great for traveling) & huge ssd- plus it's got one stick of ram so i should be able to get another 8gb easy if i want a boost.

yeah, my kid asked for a new laptop a week before Christmas.... that was what started the wheels turning- His old laptop was a $200 dollar special 3/4 years ago & it's not doing so well with the games  ;)
I'm not sure what i'm going to do with my old laptop.... it still has some value & my son is working  ::)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:16:49 PM by alyssa »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Well keep laptop old one as backup cause if parts are compatible to where u can pull parts if need and still usable then cool. as u said some things have worn out or just not wanna do right or just needs a good cleaning or something. i know enough that i dont take a pc to a shop much or at all unless i am really stuck then know a place that checks it and gives u a straight answer what is wrong and advice to for for so much or just buy new at anytime. but if i can i can take parts and re use if possible at time or just get new anytime. i now since over last years have like 3 towers and a diamond -which i cant take apart grr lol but can reformat and give to my bros kids later they can learn how to use so kinda like donating  but less hassles lol. so yea i got stuff sitting around and if ever can try recycle parts or donate/trash anytime.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »
My new laptop is due to arrive on Friday.

I’ve found a good hm for my old LT as soon as I wipe and reinstall the os.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
Yea, rehoming a laptop or pc the only pain is having to wipe the drive and reinstall anything that has to be readded. any other part is no problem rehoming cause it dont store any info really as for privacy hassles any. if it was cheaper replacing the drive with a new one would make things easier but its not cheap since hard drives in ways are becoming bigger space wise so cost more and all. but good to know u found a new laptop they meets needs and all, can always upgrade parts later if ever need to as well later.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
I usually do a strait copy of the HDD, write zeros & reinstall teh os

I like to keep a copy of my old hdd for a few months just in case i miss something- the big question is how i'm going to get all the bloatware off my new machine-

do others wipe & reinstall the os? I'm always hesitant to do that and figure teh bloatware is on the reinstall disks too

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
I usually do a strait copy of the HDD, write zeros & reinstall teh os

I like to keep a copy of my old hdd for a few months just in case i miss something- the big question is how i'm going to get all the bloatware off my new machine-

do others wipe & reinstall the os? I'm always hesitant to do that and figure teh bloatware is on the reinstall disks too

With Windows 10, the Creators Update from last year makes it easier with it's "Fresh Start" tool. This link has a good description I think, and discusses the caveats like possibly having to reinstall drivers.

One nice feature is that it dumps out a text file listing everything it removed.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »
Any software u know u not gonna use can always uninstall cause the laptop should have a recovery part or come with a cd to reinstall windows at anytime. i use iobit uninstaller cause it does good job removing all and not leave any trail so to speak.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Help-- should i buy a new laptop ??
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

Thanks for that tool mark I’m in the process of doing a fresh install- I thought abt skipping but then saw all the stupid crapware....

I do like the keyboard and feel of the machine. The screen is a nicer then my old machine. And it feels faster

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
oddly it took a couple of times using the freststart tool.  The first time it didn't get teh candycrush & other games- it never got ms office- but that was an easy uninstall.  then took a look with a couple of other uninstall programs... just to see if there's anything else that got missed

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
oddly it took a couple of times using the freststart tool.  The first time it didn't get teh candycrush & other games- it never got ms office- but that was an easy uninstall.  then took a look with a couple of other uninstall programs... just to see if there's anything else that got missed

That's good to know, not quite as clean as advertised. I was remembering the first pc I bought and how exciting it was that is came with some extra software, how times change :)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 03:49:46 PM »
Im guessing any pc or laptop comes with all the extra cause they pay the computer makers to add it all the time and hope u use it or sign up for it after trial use to make more bank anytime. im sure they know only so many will use the free warez which in a way is not cause it came with the computer lol. but yes if remove all u know u not gonna use cause ur use to programs already so u save space at anytime lol. kinda like a garage, alot space if used right or clean out every few months and keep space open to add any u know u gonna use or need later.