Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57908 times)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #510 on: July 18, 2019, 06:20:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think you have to complete a normal shift in order to redeem the T-shirt.
At the Volunteer  check-in, go back today and get your t-shirt part of your badge validated.  Then you take stub part  to the Hyatt to get your shirt.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #511 on: July 18, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
Does the volunteer tshirt have the 50th anniversary on it?

In addition, if you have preview night and 4 day passes and you choose to volunteer, make sure they don't void out the rest of your days. I went yesterday to get an assignment for today, when I went to scan in for preview night it failed. Had to go to rfid help, to learn they voided out the rest of my days and activated only Thursday.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 11:21:39 PM »

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #512 on: July 18, 2019, 06:40:44 AM »

In addition, if you have preview night and 4 day passes and you choose to volunteer, make sure they don't void out the rest of your days. I went yesterday to get an assignment for today, when I went to scan in for preview night it failed. Had to go to rfid help, to learn they voided out the rest of my days and activated only Thursday.
Don't you have two badge holders? One for your normal badge and one for the volunteer one? Did the normal one malfunction?

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #513 on: July 18, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »
Don't you have two badge holders? One for your normal badge and one for the volunteer one? Did the normal one malfunction?

I did get 2 badges, one for volunteer and one for attendee. However, my attendee badge told me when they scanned it, only it had Thursday access at rfid help desk. I had to confirm some information and then they reinstated all of my days that I had. I'm probably not the first person this is going to occur, but I wanted to warn others. This was my first time volunteering and I didn't know that they can avoid out the rest of my days by signing up for a shift. I'm not sure if this was  user error to whoever checked me in to get an assignment shift. I did email volunteer to inform them, but I don't think their gonna respond.

Offline MochiMonster

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #514 on: July 18, 2019, 07:51:17 AM »
At the Volunteer  check-in, go back today and get your t-shirt part of your badge validated.  Then you take stub part  to the Hyatt to get your shirt.

I heard that the pre-con shifts won't be loaded into the system until after 1:30 pm today so they won't validate the t-shirt pick-up until then.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #515 on: July 18, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Disappointed that volunteer bag pickup is in sails now.  It defeats Weds badge pickup to save time and con cargo load on busy days since pickup is only on days you work. No more pre-con pickup.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #516 on: July 19, 2019, 03:53:00 AM »

Yes, it’s a dark gray shirt and has the modern eye logo with a 50 next to it.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #517 on: July 20, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »
Yes, it’s a dark gray shirt and has the modern eye logo with a 50 next to it.

[member=3593]debster[/member] Thank you!  Been wondering.  Sounds nice!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #518 on: July 22, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »
How was everyone's experience volunteering this year?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #519 on: July 22, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »

Great!!!

I had a pre-con shift.  Wednesday at 9:00 am.  We were led into the area where we were supposed to help with the program premiums.  When we got there, the supervisor told us the previous days shift had done all the work, so we just had to hang out for a couple of hours.  She told us to leave at 11:30, and stamped our cards.  That was the easiest shift I ever did.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #520 on: July 22, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Great!!!

I had a pre-con shift.  Wednesday at 9:00 am.  We were led into the area where we were supposed to help with the program premiums.  When we got there, the supervisor told us the previous days shift had done all the work, so we just had to hang out for a couple of hours.  She told us to leave at 11:30, and stamped our cards.  That was the easiest shift I ever did.
Ha ha, nice!  And you got to see some of the panel swag beforehand, yes? XD
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #521 on: July 22, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
Ha ha, nice!  And you got to see some of the panel swag beforehand, yes? XD

Actually, no.  What was there was all boxed up, and I think a lot was moved out.  Funny, I wasn't even thinking about that.  We were given program guides/quick guides.  I was happy I didn't have to wait until going thru the bag line.  Once they did that, I was focused on putting my schedule together.  I know we have all the information ahead of time, but the guide helps me solidify my schedule.

Plus I got to talk to the other members of my shift.  There were 4 of them.  I was the only one who had paid for my ticket.  The rest used volunteering to be able to go to the con since they did not sicore badges during open reg.  They were all very nice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:05:54 AM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #522 on: July 22, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
Actually, no.  What was there was all boxed up, and I think a lot was moved out.  Funny, I wasn't even thinking about that.  We were given program guides/quick guides.  I was happy I didn't have to wait until going thru the bag line.  Once they did that, I was focused on putting my schedule together.  I know we have all the information ahead of time, but the guide helps me solidify my schedule.

Plus I got to talk to the other members of my shift.  There were 4 of them.  I was the only one who had paid for me ticket.  The rest used volunteering to be able to go to the con since they did score badges during open reg.  They were all very nice.

Ohhhh, gotcha.  Well, either way, you were still very productive and met some new people! ^__^d

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #523 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »

I had a pre-con shift on Wednesday starting at 3:30. I was assigned to the Freebie Table, so I stood there and straightened out the piles of cards that were on the table, placed new ones on there once they were approved by the supervisor and explained to people what the freebie table was and that they were welcome to take anything on there. I also put aside all the quick guides, schedule books and souvenir books that people dumped on the table because it was the first area that came after people left the badge, bags and lanyard area. I also was kind of an informal information contact because people would come by asking me questions (like where MGH was - there were a lot of first timers who stopped by).

I enjoyed it and had a good time, and I was glad to give something back to the con. I would definitely attempt to volunteer again next year.

Offline tremendo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #524 on: July 22, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »

Pleasant pre-Con shift Tuesday morning stuffing bags under the sails. Geeky conversations with my table buddies (learning what geeky things they’re into, critiquing the last season of GOT, etc).

Since the computers weren’t set up to distribute Volunteer shirt cards, I didn’t get one that day. When I went to Volunteer check in get my shirt card on Sunday, I was kinda yelled at for not having a Volunteer badge (as I never had one.. didn’t need it as a Pro. Yes, I’m a Pro and I continue to volunteer). The Volunteer supe was talking to me like I did something wrong. It was weird.

All my other interactions with the Volunteer Dept have been great.