Author Topic: New & Returning TV - Chat Fall 2019  (Read 1047 times)

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 180
Re: New & Returning TV - Chat Fall 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i was debating about adding All Rise to my dvr .. but it seemed a little to ..idk... cute for lack of a better word LOL
but yes Evil, Prodigal Son & Carol's second act all look really really interesting. As does Sumptown

Nancy Drew wasn't on my radar yet... but it doesn't air till mid October ;)

When I read the description for All Rise, I thought "eh, pass." But I really liked the preview so I want to give it a shot. I usually give things 2 episodes to grab me, so if after 2 I'm not feeling it, I'll drop it.

Offline mark

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1871
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
Watched Batwoman and Watchmen last night. Batwoman I'll let build a bit and check in later, it's been a while since I've enjoyed any of the CW DC series except for Legends of Tomorrow, (looking forward to the upcoming crossover though which looks nuts.)

Thought Watchmen's premiere was very strong and the kind of comics-based show I wish we saw more of, not retelling a story but taking the comic's world and making a new one. I'm sure Alan Moore hates it, but I wonder if he might hate it just a little bit less than all of the other adaptations based on his work.

Caught up on Titans as well, mixed so far but the episode introducing Connor Kent (and Krypto!!!) was great.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:51:27 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Hall H
  • Liked: 473
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
I didn't realize that both Supernatural's and Mr. Robot's seasons already started until last night.  It doesn't seem like they were promoted very much.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:51:27 AM »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 06:59:38 PM »
Evil has already been renewed for a second season, which is a pleasant surprise. I really like this show, it is way creepier than I expected. Last week's episode was really dark. I hope this sets off a trend of early renewals (and even early cancellations - it's nice to know the fate of a show and not have to worry about getting invested in something that will end on a cliffhanger and then get cancelled)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1341
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »
Evil has already been renewed for a second season, which is a pleasant surprise. I really like this show, it is way creepier than I expected. Last week's episode was really dark. I hope this sets off a trend of early renewals (and even early cancellations - it's nice to know the fate of a show and not have to worry about getting invested in something that will end on a cliffhanger and then get cancelled)
We are enjoying Evil, too. That is great news! It is way darker than I thought it would be, but fascinating. Katja Herbers (female lead) is fantastic! And I love seeing Aasif Mandvi on my TV again!
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 5032
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
i am really really curious how the new hbo show #HisDarkMaterials will do.
i don't get hbo- if any one watches is please let us know how it is

that armored polar bear... wow

and Lin Manul and james macvoy

back story on the movie

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:40:25 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
Evil is really good but kind of creepy.

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I will be watching HDM tonight! I cannot explain just how special these books are to me. I first read them as a junior high kid back in 2001. They are the books that cemented my lifelong love of fantasy. When I read the third one, I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest. When the protagonist (Lyra) wept, I wept. I have read the books maybe 6 or 7 times since, I revisit every few years. The movie was fine for what it was, but they ended it before the book ending because they thought the book ending would work better as a sequel opening - and of course, the sequel never came. I have heard really good things about this adaptation and how faithful it is, and they've already filmed season 2, so even if season 1 bombs we still get an adaptation of the second book, something I NEVER thought I would see.

I have been waiting for this show for 18 years. I am so excited. I know this isn't a book thread, but, please, everyone, READ THESE BOOKS. I have tried to convince so many people that they need to, and I've only managed to get one so far (my best friend in college, and she now loves them just as much as I do). The books are nothing less than art, and I'm optimistic that the show will bring them to life wonderfully.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:25:34 PM by angoradebs »

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 03:23:48 PM »
I will be watching HDM tonight too!

I know what you mean, angoradebs, about book three being heart-ripping.  The ending is so right, but... it hurts.

Have you read Pullman's more recent additions to the HDM universe, La Belle Sauvage and The Secret Commonwealth?  I like them, though not as much as the original trilogy -though the third book, whenever it comes out, could change my mind.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:26:51 PM by lborgia88 »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
I will be watching HDM tonight too!

I know what you mean, angoradebs, about book three being heart-ripping.  The ending is so right, but... it hurts.

Have you read Pullman's more recent additions to the HDM universe, Book of Dust and The Secret Commonwealth?  I like them, though not as much as the original trilogy -though the third book, whenever it comes out, could change my mind.

I hate to get too off-topic here, but yes. The prequel was just okay to me, but I really enjoyed The Secret Commonwealth. Definitely not as much - Lyra just didn't seem like Lyra - but I loved being back, and I really loved learning more about Lyra's world. I hope the next one comes sooner rather than later.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 5032
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »
books that spawned tv are on topic !
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
I just watched episode 1, and I'm in awe of how perfectly cast this show is so far. Dafne Keene is PERFECT as Lyra. I know it's only one episode in, but they've stayed pretty faithful so far - they changed some stuff with the Gyptians, and they didn't really show much of Lyra's everyday life at Jordan College and on the streets of Oxford. It's a small thing, but I love how they had Lyra say "I en't lyin'," because she says "en't" all the time in the books.

Teeny tiny spoiler below:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

This episode, despite being 1 of 8, covered about the first 20% of the book, which is kind of surprising - you'd think it would cover less because more time would be spent world building. As a result of covering so much ground, the episode flew by for me. Interested to see what kind of pacing they have in future episodes.

As a fan of the books, this was a very solid 8/10 for me, and I have a feeling it's only going to get better. I only hope audiences tune in. I don't think HBO trying to sell it as the next GOT will do it any favors, and the books don't have a HUGE fan base. But I think any fan of fantasy television should give this a try.
Modify message

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #27 on: Today at 08:51:27 AM »

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
I remember thinking, after seeing "Logan," that Dafne Keen was an excellent child actress, and was really happy when I heard she was cast as Lyra.  What I didn't know about her, until the HDM panel in Hall H this summer, was that she's a Brit (they sneak in everywhere, with flawless American accents of every variety  ;D )   Granted, she didn't say much in "Logan."
I really enjoyed the first episode.   And the little glimpse of the Magisterium.  As a history major, alternate histories always fascinate me,  and I can see how something like the Magisterium would result if the Reformation never split the church, and Calvinists and Jesuits worked together to maintain control...